Really creepy iOS 7 bug verified by friends

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by striderida1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. striderida1 macrumors newbie

Go to this link and hold down on the picture of the tshirt and "save image" http://www.zazzle.com.au/im_retired_go_around_me_tees-235254538814063058 . Now go into your photo album and look what's there. It's putting pictures in my photo album that I deleted over a year ago?! My friends tried it to and got the same thing. Does this mean apple is secretly storing our "deleted" photos?!

2. kolax macrumors G3

Wow, that's quite a serious bug! I've been hitting 'save image' multiple times and I'm getting every deleted photo back. Of course the photos will be recoverable until that disk space is overwritten, but being able to do it so easily is worrying.

Update: I got 10 deleted photos back before it just started putting in black/blank images. In fact, it's just the preview I can see on those 10 photos, if I open the image, it's black.

3. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know right?! I deleted some of those pics over a year ago! I sent this to CNN too. Talk about privacy concerns!

4. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

This is a really serious bug... but wouldn't Apple be in a better position to fix this than CNN?

5. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

This looks a little too intentional...Apple may very well have did it on purpose...

6. Xiph0s macrumors regular

7. jacobss macrumors 6502

8. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's even worse is that i have done a military wipe on my phone this fall. So this leads me to believe that these images might be being pulled from some remote location or something? I could be totally wrong though.

9. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Anyone else try this on 7.1? Only getting a black image

10. macigo macrumors regular

Hmm that's weird. And where is the image of the t-shirt that was saved?

11. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wen off it's just thumbnails, it's still a huge privacy concern. Imagine getting someone's used phone and being able to pull up their old images.

----------

The t-shirt image didn't save that's the odd part. Funny tshirt I must say by the way lol.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Interesting. Did you do a restore from backup?

13. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually i didn't. I was having a separate issue at the time and a suggestion i got was to not restore from backup. I forget what it was now but i remembered it solved my issue. Also an update: One of my friends is still using IOS 6 on an iphone 4 (i know..he needs a new phone, i tell him all the time) and it actually happens to him too. This tells us that this bug has been around a long time...

14. Alrescha macrumors 68020

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...nails-in-ios-7-photos-app-dates-back-to-ios-5

15. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, that's even worse if Apple knew about this long and never patched it since IOS5.

16. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Wow thats insane. I just tried this bug and definitely is a serious bug that needs attention.

17. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yep can reproduce. Only thumbnail, black image when viewing in full.

I'm guessing there's something weird about this image. Not that it isn't a fault in iOS though. Just that if I save an image from other websites it works fine.

lol @ people saying this may be intentional. Yes, it was totally intentional not to save the image you wanted to and instead resurrect a deleted photo. *roll eyes*

18. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

By intentional the fact that is saves the thumbnails even when deleted from the phone. Not the bug that harvests the hidden thumbnails. It's not hard to believe these are held in some sort of hidden cache for law enforcement purposes intentionally.

19. grubworth macrumors member

what the ****? **** this. this needs attention and needs to be sorted (like as if it will).

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

:rolleyes:

21. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Whoa thats surprising!

Is this only for the devices on iOS 7.1 beta 2?

22. 007p macrumors 6502a

I have tried it everyway I can think of, on my iphone 5 running 6.1.4, I only get a black thumbnail + image...so doesn't work for me, possibly doesn't work in ios 6? Possibly an ios 7 thing?

23. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Saving pictures that do this to Dropbox reveals that the background image is maintained even when saved outside of the camera roll

24. striderida1 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is on all iphone versions going back to IOS 5 even...I haven't tested it on the new beta yet.