Really loud HD Problems :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by polo3400, Jul 10, 2011.

1. polo3400 macrumors member

So if anybody saw my last post, My mac was screwed, blah blah blah.
    I decided to take it to the store, they repaired it (excellent service) and Replaced my faulty 500GB HD with a 1TB HD. My imac now work fine apart from one Consistent problem.

I dont know whats causing it but im pretty sure that the HD is running Extremely loud, So loud its a bother to hear my tv. Now this could be the fan in the mac, but im not sure.

Does anybody at all know what causing this or how i am to go about fixing my problem? Any help is much appreciated :)

2. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Probably a fan

3. premneo macrumors newbie

Is it the new imac released in May 2011? then it is probably because they replaced the HD with a non S.M.A.R.T drive which does not report the HDD temperature and so your mac must be thinking it is overheating and runnning the fan full speed.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

4. polo3400 thread starter macrumors member

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

well if it was an authorized repair store bringing it back is an option. the other option is download a fan speed program. there are more then one most are free but istatmenus offers the most controls it is 16 for 1 computer and 25 for family pack of 5 computers , but to be honest they don't seem to count how many if you buy the family pack.. here is a link

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

if you buy it I can help you set it up. not hard you get 5 speed settings for an iMac plus a lot of other features.

6. bakura macrumors member

Try to close all your applications and let your computer alone until the hard drive goes to sleep so you can see if it's a fan or a very loud hard drive.

I have a 2011 iMac with a WD Caviar Black 1 To drive and it is VERY loud. It makes a sound like a fan (the fans are almost silent). In fact it's just a spin sound, but it easily covers all other fans sound.

I went to an Apple reseller and they did a lot of tests and the hard drive is working perfectly so they don't want to change it : I just had no chance and I have a noisy hard drive, deal with it. It's a bit frustrating but as the 15 days are over I can't really change it and carrying the 27' all over the Apple stores is a bit annoying, so... I just open my window so that the sound of the street cover the sound of the iMac ;-).

Next time, I'll buy a SSD iMac :).

7. polo3400 thread starter macrumors member

Everytime the Computer goes asleep, Everything is silent. Then when the computer comes back on, The noise slowly builds up until its like a vacum. Its either the Fan or HD, Considering the HD just got replaced, Could it be the new HD that is causing the problem, not the fan?

8. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi polo,
    it seems to be the fan, because the HD will keep a steady speed, whatever it is (5400, 7200).
    You said "The noise slowly builds up". That indicates the cooling fan...

9. polo3400 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, Truly helps.
    Do you Know of Any way To stop this problem Occurring ?

10. basher macrumors 6502

basher

If it were mine, I'd make a trip back to the Apple store. There might be something that the tech forgot to connect or take care of when the new HD was installed.

Be sure to let the tech know what the fan noise was like prior to your repairs.

11. ZeD X macrumors regular

If you changed it by yourself or not an authorized repair service, then the problem is that only Apple Stock HDs come with temperature sensor (plus that one from the S.M.A.R.T.).

You can use iMac Fan Control, and it will run at a fixed speed.

12. polo3400 thread starter macrumors member

ImacFanControl Just didn't work - it was as if it wasn't listening to me.

I took my iMac to a Reseller So before i HAVE to take it to them I want to explore every other possible option. :cool:

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is this an iMac that was released this year (2011)?

14. polo3400 thread starter macrumors member

It was released in 2010, Core 2 Duo Edition

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999