Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When your unit is replaced, id the case may be, what happens to all your programs, like office, or Toast, or iwork, or photoshop, can you re-use the serial/keys again or are you screwed?

That's the great thing about Time Machine.

Of course I'll take out my HDD and put back the Apple one.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Do you think it would be safe to speculate that if you don't game that the GPU would be less likely to fail?

Is there any mention of this anywhere?

Given the nature of the fault, I'd suggest an affected GPU will fail before the end of its normal 'lifetime'. All you can do by choosing how hard to push it is determine how quickly that will happen.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Actually genius, I said the problem was systemic in regards to nVidia's chip line, and that I'd never heard of anything like this happening ever in any area of the computer industry.

The bulging capacitor debacle? When some company "borrowed" the plans for manufacturing capacitors but left some little detail out, producing tons of capacitors that couldn't be distinguished from the genuine product, except they would self destroy after a year?

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008

nuncupatory

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
the 8600 series doesn't use the affected chips. It's pretty much just the 8800 series and the 9600 that are getting screwed.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you should check out this thread in the official Apple MBP forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1478474&tstart=0

In a nutshell, people have been experiencing video problems (including the dreaded black screen of death) at least as far back as April. When people accessed the broken MBP's System Profile via screen sharing with a second computer, the chipset model is reported as Intel GMA X3100 instead of GeForce 8600M.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I hate to burst your bubble, but you should check out this thread in the official Apple MBP forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1478474&tstart=0

In a nutshell, people have been experiencing video problems (including the dreaded black screen of death) at least as far back as April. When people accessed the broken MBP's System Profile via screen sharing with a second computer, the chipset model is reported as Intel GMA X3100 instead of GeForce 8600M.
That is EXACTLY what happened to mine, my 8600m became the GMA X3100 in system profiler when my GPU died. I could VNC to the machine no problem.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hopefully a 3670, the rough equivalent of the 9600. Or maybe we'll see a Quadro 3700FX like you predicted.

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
What exactly is this "bug" from what I've read it's the gpu overheating.

Uhm this happened when I had a 7600gt in a well cooled case. (no, no overclocking at all in the whole system)

If it can happen in a normal case, why couldn't it happen in a laptop?

As far as I know it's nothing new XD.

I just haven't seen any proof anywhere that it's a bug in the 8000 series.

My macbook pro is still running fine. haha.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
I just haven't seen any proof anywhere that it's a bug in the 8000 series.

I guess nvidia, dell and HP all mentioning the problem was a bit too much for you to follow huh. It isn't like any of those companies would normally be involved in a fault with an nvidia part that found its way into Dell and HP laptops.

My macbook pro is still running fine. haha.

Glad to hear it. You do realise that the fact that you aren't having problems doesn't mean there aren't problems to be had.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
Hopefully a 3670, the rough equivalent of the 9600. Or maybe we'll see a Quadro 3700FX like you predicted.

Ooh yes hopefully! Won't it be fun paying 2.5 thousand dollars for a laptop with a 3670 :D!!!1!

Let's hope they don't use the 9700M, then we'd see both huge battery life and performance increases, and we can't have that on a Mac! Oh no!

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Ooh yes hopefully! Won't it be fun paying 2.5 thousand dollars for a laptop with a 3670 :D!!!1!

Yes well, as everyone knows, Apple has never used anything but midrange cards in their laptops.

Let's hope they don't use the 9700M, then we'd see both huge battery life and performance increases, and we can't have that on a Mac! Oh no!

Gooooood point. Except, oh, wait. A 9700M uses 2.25x more power than the 8600M GT, resulting in, of course, higher heat draw.

And it's also an affected nVidia part, meaning it will likely fail within one to two years, while not being all the much faster than a 3670 in he first place.

But no, your idea's good. Really. A well thought-out and knowledgeable point, thank you.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
This just sucks. I've never heard of anything this systemic in graphics before... or in the computer world... or even in any area of anything.

It's not unheard of. It's just hidden from the consumer in many cases.

There are two hard drive vendors who supply most of the drives used in high end RAID arrays. One of the two (to remain nameless) had a massive problem with their drives that necessitated special workaround and in some cases mass replacement of drives by their customers (who are the manufacturers of these arrays).

Cars have recalls for poorly designed or poorly manufactured equipment all the time.

The McDonnell Douglas DC-10 had a horrible design issue that forced the major airlines to workaround certain maintenance processes. These shortcuts caused stress fractures allowed an entire engine to FALL OFF a jet, resulting in the largest airline crash in US history. This effectively killed off the DC-10 as a commercial passenger aircraft, and it was relegated to cargo and military uses for the rest of it's life.

So I have to disagree that design and/or sub-components have never had a really big insidious effect on a product. Happens all the time, and it sucks.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
so how do i know if my MBP was effected by this?

If you're optimistic:
It probably isn't. nvidia are telling the truth when they say only a few batches were affected, even if they initially claimed it was only a few that went to one vendor then had to own up to them also going to another vendor later, I'm sure they're telling the truth now. Honest.

If you're a pessimist:
You're totally knackered if your MBP has an nvidia card in it at all.

If you're a realist:
The truth probably lies somewhere between those two extremes. I'd make sure I had applecare and I'd keep an eye on the situation with regards to announcements from Apple and any recalls, and I'd make doubly sure to book the machine in for a hardware fix the moment I started noticing any graphical oddities of any kind. Then I'd try and get on with enjoying my nice laptop without either worrying too much or sticking my head in the sand ;).

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
It's not unheard of. It's just hidden from the consumer in many cases.

There are two hard drive vendors who supply most of the drives used in high end RAID arrays. One of the two (to remain nameless) had a massive problem with their drives that necessitated special workaround and in some cases mass replacement of drives by their customers (who are the manufacturers of these arrays).

Cars have recalls for poorly designed or poorly manufactured equipment all the time.

The McDonnell Douglas DC-10 had a horrible design issue that forced the major airlines to workaround certain maintenance processes. These shortcuts caused stress fractures allowed an entire engine to FALL OFF a jet, resulting in the largest airline crash in US history. This effectively killed off the DC-10 as a commercial passenger aircraft, and it was relegated to cargo and military uses for the rest of it's life.

So I have to disagree that design and/or sub-components have never had a really big insidious effect on a product. Happens all the time, and it sucks.

Interesting. But I did mean on such a large scale, and given nVidia's large marketshare in... well, the market, it affects millions of computer users; I wan't necessarily talking about how relatively disastrous the effects were.

Never heard of the HDD problem. I know IBM's Deskstars used to be called Deathstars 'cause they died so often.... but that's about it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.