Reason for missing features?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachplaysguitar, Dec 3, 2008.

1. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

No, this is another whining thread about MMS or copy/paste.

I'm just curious to hear your theories as to why Apple has left out some features.

I've heard that a possible reason for lack of MMS is the possibility of sending ringtones and taking business from the iTunes store.

Thoughts?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When you can make ringtones for free in GarageBand anyway, I don't think that's the issue.

3. zachplaysguitar thread starter macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Good point. It seems that for MMS the main reason is to promote the use of email.

I can see how copy/paste may be just hard to implement and they're still working on a solution.

As for landscape texting/email I think they just don't see it necessary. While it would be nice, the keyboard is already amazing and I find it easy to type on.

As for video recording I can't really think of a reason. Obviously it can be done (Cycorder) and it wouldn't really affect anything negatively.

4. zachplaysguitar thread starter macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Edit: the post above me disappeared? It asked about the lack of spell check.

I guess they are confident in the abilities of the auto correct feature. It would be easier than going back to each individual word though...

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think Apple purposely left out these features so user's would do it in a different way. For example: instead of using MMS, they want you to use Mail.

I think the reason why they left out customizable interfaces (such as themes) is because they want everyone to be very familiar with the home screen and layout.

Possibly after a while, they will add things like themes, copy & paste and MMS, but for now, they want you to do it the Apple way. It's just like when they introduced the mouse, they got rid of the arrow keys on the keyboard. They wanted everyone to get used to the mouse rather then leave it alone and use the arrow keys that they were familiar with.

6. zachplaysguitar thread starter macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I think that's probably the most plausible explanation. Apple's way or the highway...

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

By the way, emailing a picture is free. Using MMS to send a picture costs extra. I realize that you are paying a $30 per month data charge, but you have no choice about that when getting an iPhone. Sending text messages costs you around $5 for 200, $20 for unlimited.

I always disable text/picture messaging on my phones because I don't ever use them. I hate getting a text message from someone that says "What's up?"... there goes 20 cents... and another... and another.

8. nanvinnie macrumors regular

I can see how apple would want people to get used to it's layout and what not, but things like a better camera or video recording... i can't plug that logic in for those features. i've seen a lot of people complain about what features they want on the phone, but still.. the iphone is an amazing device. i'm pretty sure all the other features will catch up soon.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I think Apple is trying to fix the problems it has now with the iphone. After that I believe more features will come. I know the iphone is capable because my jailbroken phone has copy and paste , landscape sms , custom themes , background notifications and many more things that Apple doesn't give us.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

So all the complainers on here would have something to constantly whine about.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think the majority of that stuff hasn't made it to the iPhone yet because of battery life and they wanted the iPhone to have good battery life from the start.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

To bother people on this forum.

Why else would they do it, right?

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No one will ever be completely satisfied with the iPhone. There will always be something out there that people will complain about.

14. zachplaysguitar thread starter macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I honestly couldn't care less if the features do get added, as I love my iPhone, as do most iPhone users it seems. Every device has at least one shortcoming, but that doesn't make it inferior.

It just seems odd that Apple would intentionally omit features and I'd like to know their motives behind that omission.

15. firewood macrumors 604

The following are all wild guesses edited by the cat walking across the keyboard:

It's easier for the OS to improve the handling of email and cheaper for the carrier to upgrade email bandwidth, compared with legacy MMS.

Cut & paste isn't there because Apple can sell more product by using non-modal select gestures for other flashier features (pan & zoom).

Background process aren't there because they cause other phones to crash for stupid(e.g. average) users, and the iPhone already crashes too much without them.

Customizable interfaces for basic apps aren't there because they don't want malware tricking a user into giving away personal information, etc.

5 megapixels aren't there because it's a useless addition unless a matching bigger lens is used with it (and there's no room for that).

Turn-by-turn nav isn't there because Apple/Google's insurance carrier wouldn't allow it, the GPS antenna is buried behind the cell phone antenna, and/or the chip uses too much power long term.

Video recording caused one of the chips to overheat, which might cause warranty failures if used a lot.

Landscape MMS isn't there because some engineer (probably now unemployed) got behind the required shipping/QA schedule. (Check on Apple's web site, there's an opening for this.)

16. jayenh macrumors 6502

simple... so they can rain on the competitors parade and announce it in an update to keep the press in their direction. MMS isn't easy, our tariffs don't include MMS, but stuff like copy and paste etc... you can guarantee that when the next big "iphone killer" comes a long they will happen to mention a "missing" feature being released in the next update on the same day the competition makes an announcement about how great their phone is and what it has that the iphone doesn't.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Could be as simple as:

If Jobs doesn't himself use a feature (or see a way for Apple to profit from it), it's put way down on the list.

18. zachplaysguitar thread starter macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

If Apple were to announce an iPhone 3G 2nd Generation next year that included:

*MMS
    *Copy and Paste
    *Landscape Emailing and Text
    *Better Push Support

Then would you upgrade your hardware?

The answer is probably yes and this could be the reason.

Just sayin.......... :D

20. firewood macrumors 604

None of that requires different or new hardware.

The new hardware will be for newer form factor, better radios, performance, battery life and more memory.

21. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I didn't say it was required.

I said they would add it to the new model.

I mean, if Apple makes a new handset and the ONLY new thing is slightly better performance, then why on earth would I pay ANOTHER $400 for yet ANOTHER phone?

Simply put, I wouldn't. Most middle income families wouldn't.

Now, for that, plus all the features I listed, we might have a deal or at least more incentive to upgrade.

But, in all honesty, if that isn't the reason, then honestly, there is no reason anyone can tell me that makes a lick of sense as to why they won't give us those things.

I mean, how much demand was there for street view? (I will NEVER use that and I fail to see a use for it really.)

22. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

street view is cool to play with, its good for.....

thieves to see what house has the nicest cars?

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Pretty much I suspect.

I also suspect the iPhone development team simply isn't very well managed or organised.

Phazer

24. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Come on folks, we all know Apple and other companies do these things on purpose. They hold back features or even cripple there products to put into the next product. You never put the kitchen sink into one product you slowly roll out features over time. This is marketing 101.

25. Ademius macrumors regular

I get the big features, like the notorious complaints for copy&paste and such.
    But the little things? Highly demanded things like landscape sms and email, small tweaks all over the entire OS that would really improve usability and productivity. I am unable to comprehend as to why such things hasn't yet been implemented. Another example of those things would be making the silent ringer switch global, silencing all apps as well.

Why Mapple, why?