Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
And even if totally correct about what will be in the 7 - how do you know what will be in the 8 - I could be 5 times better than the 7?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yup. Repeating what I posted earlier. Bigger update than 3Gs to 4.

If you simply update to a new phone because of "design", then buy a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge right now if you want to preview what an iPhone 8 will be like in 14 months. You can will have an sd slot to boot and a 200gb card can go for under $100. Download the OS9 launcher or any iOS launcher to make it look like iPhone. I know some can't stand Android but an unrooted Android still feels like a jailbroken iPhone to me with the right apps to use.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Any rumors of fast charging? All of what you listed is awesome if rumors are true, but I tested out a Nexus 6P and really enjoyed the fast charging capabilities, would love to see this on iPhones!

If you appreciate faster charging, have you looked into the 12 watt ipad power adapter. From 0-80% it gives the 6s Plus I have, one percent increase per minute. While not considered officially fast charge. It sure speeds things up.

Reactions: Sunny1990

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If we're NOT going by the current rumors, (i.e. RUMORS), historically, every numerical model update to the iPhone has been drool worthy. The 4, the 5, the 6. There's no reason at all to assume that the iPhone 7 will fail to impress.

It'll undoubtedly be very cool... & we'll all find out for ourselves very soon.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
If you appreciate faster charging, have you looked into the 12 watt ipad power adapter. From 0-80% it gives the 6s Plus I have, one percent increase per minute. While not considered officially fast charge. It sure speeds things up.
Thank you, yes I have based on recommendations from this forum. My 6S plus has only been charged by using the iPad power adapter. I am also seeing about one percent per minute until 80% as you mentioned. Definitely helps compared to the standard power adapter!

Reactions: HEK

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
OLED screen would be sweet. I'd also like a THICKER iPhone to make room for a much bigger battery. I don't care about thinness. My original iPhone (it still works) is thick as f*** and it feels great. Give me a 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus model but make it as thick as the original iPhone. Fill all that extra space with more battery. You could probably get like a 5000 milliamperes battery in a casing like that. Add an OLED screen, nothing else, and I'd be all over it like Oprah on a baked ham.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
Couldn't disagree more. OLED iPhone screen will be one of the biggest iPhone features ever besides the retina screen on the 4. This one singular feature alone will be more popular than all of the features that the 6ss or 7 will introduce.

It wont be if it drains the battery life

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I like that the 7 screen is kinda convex like the Nokia N9 from 2011. Easy to swipe and clean off. Dust won't enter inside the screen as easily too.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
If the 7 Has the below, than yes its a great update..

OLED display
Better Battery
Better CPU/GPU
Less Bezel
f/1.7 lens camera
Better SIRI
Improved TouchID
Better Water Resistance
Fast charging
Wireless Charging
Fast focus lens
No headphone jack

If the 7 has the below, than no, it will not be a good update, and I'll pass

CPU/GPU update
f/ 2.2 camera lense
Same Bezel as the 6s
Slightly better battery
Fast charging
Better water resistant
No headphone jack
Better SIRI

Reactions: timeconsumer

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The absolut no-buy "killer" feature of the IP7 is that I believe Apple will not use a standard screen resolution.
That was THE major reason for me not to buz the "Plus" model.

I do not care about the actual resolution, but it should be a "standard" one for video content and images.
The scaling and not really 1080p addressable screen is bad from a usability point of view.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Space BLACK iPhone
So a black phone is a major reason why the iPhone 7 is going to be huge? I'm not seeing that, and I don't think its going to be huge. As I've said before, the changes coming to the 7 are minor, especially compared to the competition.

I think if the water proofing rumor does hold true, that's a big update, don't get me wrong, and the camera improvement is a nice update, but the rumors of a dual camera have been limited to the plus.

All in all, though even Apple doesn't expect this revision to be huge, they've already cautioned the investors, and their component suppliers of lower demand.

Reactions: ABC5S

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
So a black phone is a major reason why the iPhone 7 is going to be huge? I'm not seeing that, and I don't think its going to be huge. As I've said before, the changes coming to the 7 are minor, especially compared to the competition.

I think if the water proofing rumor does hold true, that's a big update, don't get me wrong, and the camera improvement is a nice update, but the rumors of a dual camera have been limited to the plus.

All in all, though even Apple doesn't expect this revision to be huge, they've already cautioned the investors, and their component suppliers of lower demand.
The latest rumors and leaked image's don't even indicate a black iPhone :( same booring colors

Reactions: IronH4WK

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
32GB of standard storage 256GB highest
A10 being over 2GHZ/QuadCore
Much better battery unlike the 6S
New screen with higher resolution or true tone
MAJOR Camera improvements. Bigger than the jump from the 4 to the 5 all in 1 generation jump.
Rumored 3D Touch home button.
Water and dust resistant.
Space BLACK iPhone
... All the 8 is supposedly having is a curved oled screen with wireless charging and new design. I think the iPhone 7 is going to be the biggest jump in 1 generation. Bigger than the 3GS to the 4.

Would like to see water resistance, 32GB base storage, and better battery life.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If the 7 Has the below, than yes its a great update..

OLED display
Better Battery
Better CPU/GPU
Less Bezel
f/1.7 lens camera
Better SIRI
Improved TouchID
Better Water Resistance
Fast charging
Wireless Charging
Fast focus lens
No headphone jack

If the 7 has the below, than no, it will not be a good update, and I'll pass

CPU/GPU update
f/ 2.2 camera lense
Same Bezel as the 6s
Slightly better battery
Fast charging
Better water resistant
No headphone jack
Better SIRI
Strike oled and wireless charging. Add tru-tone, which is gorgeous. F2 and better low light would be fine. More life out of the battery would be great.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So really with the removal of the headphone jack too it might be 5 steps forward, 10000 steps back lol.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Since I don't cover up my phone with a case or screen protector, the iPhone 8 moving to the glass design is already a DOWNGRADE for me. Do you how fragile the iPhone 4 series, Nexus 4, and Xperia Z series were? Just looking at them funny would make them crack and not from laughter. I have a friend who owns a white 4s. Dropped it only waist height (less than 3 ft) ONCE, and that white color couldn't hide the damaged glass rear. It's the dumbest material ever used for the back of phones.

I preferred material used for the rear -

Faux leather plastic
Rubberized/soft plastic
Aluminum metal
Glossy plastic
Glass

Glass is in the bottom of the barrel because at least glossy plastic doesn't crack as easily. A white model will hide fingerprints but it still won't hide shattered glass. You will appreciate the much maligned iPhone 6 series design more with the 7 once the glass rears returns for the 8.

Jony, we been there and done that already with several phones now. Why does that material for the rear need to return with the 8? Bad enough to worry about the front glass from shattering but the back too?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think the camera upgrade will be bigger on this years iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, next years iPhone 8 will probably get some nice features but the redesign will probably be the biggest thing. I'm happy with the 6 and 6S design, the camera upgrade alone will be enough for me to upgrade this year. I'll probably be getting the 7 Plus, so it will be interesting to see what Apple have in store for the dual camera set up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
think the camera upgrade will be bigger on this years iPhone 7 and 7 Plus,
Yeah, I think that's probably going to be the major feature of the 7, which isn't bad per say, but its hard to justify spending 750 bucks (or there abouts). At least it is for me.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I don't like to speculate about stuff and apple has done a pretty good job of adding "you need this" features to its previous phones. Just have to wait and see. Its funny though all this talk about the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 people are forget the iPhone 7s? Since I have Jump! I will most likely get the 7 since I'm paying anyway and maybe just maybe it will cost me a little less. I will probably get a iPhone 7 64GB instead of the 7+ 128GB so my lease should drop a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.