Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I think the camera upgrade will be bigger on this years iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, next years iPhone 8 will probably get some nice features but the redesign will probably be the biggest thing. I'm happy with the 6 and 6S design, the camera upgrade alone will be enough for me to upgrade this year. I'll probably be getting the 7 Plus, so it will be interesting to see what Apple have in store for the dual camera set up.

Yeah, I think that's probably going to be the major feature of the 7, which isn't bad per say, but its hard to justify spending 750 bucks (or there abouts). At least it is for me.

If the rumors are correct, the 7+ will get the dual camera, but the 7 will not, but may get OIS which is nice in many ways, however, if it still gets the f/2.2 or f/2.0 lens while the samsung has the f/1.7 lens, I will be very disappointed. And if it does not get Fast Focus as the Samsung with water resistance and always on display included, than the 7 will be just a fair and normal upgrade, not the WOW factor that I think next years offering will bring with either the OLED display, new body and a bunch of other nice stuff rumored. September is coming up soon to find out.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I don't like to speculate about stuff and apple has done a pretty good job of adding "you need this" features to its previous phones. Just have to wait and see. Its funny though all this talk about the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 people are forget the iPhone 7s? Since I have Jump! I will most likely get the 7 since I'm paying anyway and maybe just maybe it will cost me a little less. I will probably get a iPhone 7 64GB instead of the 7+ 128GB so my lease should drop a little.

iPhone 7s ?

If the 7 body is the same (Which is 100% positive) than next year will have the all new body, not again the same old 6/6s/7 body, so it will not be called the 7s, but the 8. Numerous sites have reported on this.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Has apple skipped 'S' versions before? What do 'S' only people do? Will they have to wait till the 8S that would be forever.
According to rumours Apple is moving to a 3 year redesign cycle, probably they will keep updating the SE model on the 'S' years.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah, I think that's probably going to be the major feature of the 7, which isn't bad per say, but its hard to justify spending 750 bucks (or there abouts). At least it is for me.

I agree if it is just a normal small upgrade, but if Apple manages to make images much better in low light, also the dual camera features could be very good! The patent they hold for being able to zoom in and take a close shot at the same time, looks like a nice feature to have, also the other rumour/feature is one where you can take the picture and then re-focus on the objects.
It seems very telling that Apple have added features to IOS 10 that centre around Photo's, such as the faces and objects recognition.

We will have to wait until September to find out but I do think this years will be the best camera upgrade we have seen. There are other rumours about the 7 getting things like a touch home button (like haptic feedback on the Mac's trackpad).
[doublepost=1468762285][/doublepost]
If the rumors are correct, the 7+ will get the dual camera, but the 7 will not, but may get OIS which is nice in many ways, however, if it still gets the f/2.2 or f/2.0 lens while the samsung has the f/1.7 lens, I will be very disappointed. And if it does not get Fast Focus as the Samsung with water resistance and always on display included, than the 7 will be just a fair and normal upgrade, not the WOW factor that I think next years offering will bring with either the OLED display, new body and a bunch of other nice stuff rumored. September is coming up soon to find out.

Som of these features like auto focus Apple will probably end up doing. They may also alter the f/2.2, and with the dual camera they may even be able to beat it, once again making it the best camera on a phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Has apple skipped 'S' versions before? What do 'S' only people do? Will they have to wait till the 8S that would be forever.
Lol, that's like asking people how they will get off an escalator if it stops working midway up or down. There are options regardless of what people are used to and "S only" buyers will adjust.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Lol, that's like asking people how they will get off an escalator if it stops working midway up or down. There are options regardless of what people are used to and "S only" buyers will adjust.

I assume that if the escalator stopped working the people would just stand on it until the repair guy/girl came. Thats says they will wait until the 8S arrives.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I used to think the iPhone SE was "special" for being a Special Edition. Now I believe the iPhone 7 will be more special than the SE but won't get the love it deserves because it looks too similar to the iPhone 6 series. Ugly duckling. It might be like the Samsung Galaxy S5. Underappreciated and maligned simply by its exterior.

With the removal of a physical home button and iOS10's raise to wake feature which basically copied Motorola's Active Display, iPhone 7 series should last for a very long time. The only open ports will be for the charger and speaker grills. The iPhone 7 should be as tight as an Asian Catholic girl practicing chastity.

Forget what Forbes said of it looking similar to the 6. This is THE ONE to update to. Don't hesitate or wait on 8! Likely a copycat of the S7 edge. Apple's last time using an aluminum back until 2020. The successor to the SE could be released at the same time as the iPhone 8 next year and look exactly like it or an elongated iPhone 4...

This iPhone 7 might get both the IP65 and IP68 ratings like the Sony Xperia Z5 did...

ip-rating-chart.png

What is IP68 rating?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-ip68-ip-ratings-explained

Numbers game

This two-stage rating is what the two numbers following the 'IP' part stand for.

The first number always corresponds to how resistant to solid objects the device is, right down to and including dust, while the second number relates to its level of water resistance.

Perhaps confusingly, the two scales are configured a little differently. For starters, dust resistance is marked from 0 to 6, while water resistance goes from 0 to 8.

In general, the higher the number the better. However, the water rating operates slightly differently beyond IPX6. Just because a device has secured a 7 or 8 on the liquid ingress side of things, doesn't mean it's automatically been tested for IPs 1 through to 6.

This is why something like the Sony Xperia Z5 has been given both an IP68 and an IP65 rating. This means that it can withstand light water jets as well as full immersion, and is thus more water resistant than the Samsung Galaxy S7.

We doubt many phones would take kindly to the "Powerful water jets" that an IPX6 rating requires.

Small advances

On paper, the main advance from older IP67-rated phones like the Samsung Galaxy S5 to the IP68-rated Samsung Galaxy S7 is a simple matter of depth. The newer phone can withstand water ingress to a half-metre greater depth.

In real world usage, though, an IP68 phone and an IP67 phone are pretty much equally dust and water resistant. As already mentioned,a more meaningful advance would have been the addition of an IP65 rating.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But the iPhone 7 will not be anything special. It will be the equivalent of the current 6S with no antenna lines on the back. Even the "rumored specs" of the iPhone 8 may not come to reality two years now. Apple needs to take a step back and observe how it's competition is handling their smartphones and OS.

Reactions: jbachandouris

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But the iPhone 7 will not be anything special. It will be the equivalent of the current 6S with no antenna lines on the back. Even the "rumored specs" of the iPhone 8 may not come to reality two years now. Apple needs to take a step back and observe how it's competition is handling their smartphones and OS.

We know this. Next years iphone will be the game changer. I will be getting the 6SS this year and can't wait for it!

Reactions: hovscorpion12

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sure I agree. It will be as special as the 6s, 6 and 5s was. No more, no less.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada

Yes I agree Apple needs to take a step back and take a serious look at what's out there and what people want. Apple hasn't been innovative for awhile and have been lacking lately. They need to take a step back and then take a bull by the horns and get back on top again.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
If the 7 Has the below, than yes its a great update..

OLED display
Better Battery
Better CPU/GPU
Less Bezel
f/1.7 lens camera
Better SIRI
Improved TouchID
Better Water Resistance
Fast charging
Wireless Charging
Fast focus lens
No headphone jack

If the 7 has the below, than no, it will not be a good update, and I'll pass

CPU/GPU update
f/ 2.2 camera lense
Same Bezel as the 6s
Slightly better battery
Fast charging
Better water resistant
No headphone jack
Better SIRI

Same here. I'll wait another year for the 8 if the 7 doesn't have the above...and I don't think it will.
[doublepost=1470934852][/doublepost]
No way, man, the iPhone 9 will be the biggest ever. Upgrades are unimaginable!

We'll be able to make calls and text with our minds when the iPhone 50 comes out :eek:

Rocket Man

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
32GB of standard storage 256GB highest
A10 being over 2GHZ/QuadCore
Much better battery unlike the 6S
New screen with higher resolution or true tone
MAJOR Camera improvements. Bigger than the jump from the 4 to the 5 all in 1 generation jump.
Rumored 3D Touch home button.
Water and dust resistant.
Space BLACK iPhone
... All the 8 is supposedly having is a curved oled screen with wireless charging and new design. I think the iPhone 7 is going to be the biggest jump in 1 generation. Bigger than the 3GS to the 4.
Just goes to show how much Apple holds back if true. Finally better battery, finally water-proofing, finally...
I could say to all of these FINALLY.

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I think color will get phone buyers to buy the 7 over improved features. It is an impulse to upgrade and if you are attractive by a color, you go with it!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.