Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

My Penryn Mac Pro has spontaneously rebooted upon waking...

• Total voters

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
well, i got mine replaced.

i didn't have quite the same experience deathshrub had, but i did have to take it into a store (applecare said they couldn't exchange it before a tech looked at it, apparently that wasn't totally true). i took it in, they ran their whole diagnostic thing on it, messed around for an hour or so (i went and had lunch).

when i got back the guy asked how much stuff i had plugged into it, i said a bunch of different things. then he said something like "well, the only thing we can do is have you take it and test it with each individual peripheral one at a time."

to which i replied "you're talking about a dozen different devices with an intermittent problem. that'd take hours. when does this cease being my problem to trouble shoot?"

the guy didn't really have any response to that, said he'd go and check something and came back and said they'd replace it.

my impression is that you don't need to be a jerk about it, but they're not going to volunteer to exchange it, they need to be pushed to.

some other hints for anyone else thinking about exchanging:

1.tell 'em you have an apple display (apparently some G5's had a similar problem caused by 3rd party displays.)

2.tell 'em you've had the problem with nothing connected other than apple keyboard and mouse.

Vampiresoup

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Toronto
Replacements working?

Can we get a poll on people who've replaced their mac pro's due to this problem and wether the new machine is 'issue free'?

My computer is doing the same thing. It's intermittent. I REALLY don't want to have to replace my computer but I'd love to see if this issue truly is fixed with a replacement.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Can we get a poll on people who've replaced their mac pro's due to this problem and wether the new machine is 'issue free'?

My computer is doing the same thing. It's intermittent. I REALLY don't want to have to replace my computer but I'd love to see if this issue truly is fixed with a replacement.

I think those that have received replacements are waiting to see if the problem occurs again. Also, I would like to know if reinstalling the operating system from the disk included with the computer and not upgrading to 10.5.2 would help. Some think that it was the upgrade that caused the problem. Was anyone having the sleep problem before the update? Thanks to all who take the time to reply

designer22

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Minneapolis MN
My personal nightmare

I tried to fix my restart on wake up problem by following instructions - unplugging all cables and power and waiting before plugging in again and starting up, and resetting the pram.

Then i tried to wake from sleep again....and the result?

A corruption of the OS resulting in 4 calls to AppleCare, and the eventual backup/restore and fresh install of the OS......time lost today - over 6 hours between the hold time, late call-backs, troubleshooting and installing.

So beware if you have this issue and try to "fix" it. It taught me, a first-time Mac user, that Mac's can have problems too, and they are not always easy or fast to fix.

What gets me is that everything was fine until I tried to wake the Mac Pro up. This OS bug that affects the sleep function, something that is supposed to work, is there for he hapless user to mess with, sometimes with pretty bad results like mine....I hope that Apple both acknowledges this issue and fixes it soon.

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Do Mac Pros have multiple sleep modes? From Terminal, if I run

Code:
pmset -g

I see hibernatemode is set to 0.

This article here explains the setting for MacBook Pros, but I wonder if it applies to Mac Pros too. Maybe this setting is affecting the "reboot after sleep" problem.

Please respond if your setting is different than 0.

iSail

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Mine is set to 3 (safe sleep). My machine reboots from sleep...even short ones...fairly consistently.

junior77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Michigan
Mine is set to zero.

I initially had the restart from sleep problem, but after performing both resets, I have not had an issue with 12 successful restarts from sleep. Knock on wood, hope this doesn't come back.

But I do have a phone call on record with apple, so if it does happen again I will ask for a replacement.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
So how's the replacement working out for you? I just boxed mine up and FedEx is picking it up tomorrow. My replacement should be here early next week at the latest. :(:eek::(

the friggen replacements doing it too.
:rolleyes:

it just happened a little while ago for the first time.

whatever the issue is, exchanging it apparently isn't going to help.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

oh well. serenity now. i'm glad i exchanged mine, since the new one has the WD boot drive that is noticeably faster and also doesn't resonate nearly as much. plus friggen apple deserves it.

if you're gonna have to be without for a few days, you may want to reconsider going through the hassle of sending it in, since there's no way to tell if it'll help.

i'm gonna assume that this'll be fixed in a firmware update or something....

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
I'm really sorry to hear that dude. :(

On the FedEx return label, there was a "reason for return" field, and next to it I wrote: "after a few hours of being asleep, machine restarts instead of waking properly." or something to that effect. Let's hope Apple is rounding up all these returned machines and finding out what the hell is wrong with them to develop a fix.

I really can't say if any of this is going to help you, but I heard that the Leopard Graphics Update started this problem for some people. Also, I heard that applying the 10.5.2 Combo Update over your existing 10.5.2 would iron out some issues. However, I'm not sure any of this will do anything, but I've read that they have fixed the restart after sleep issue with some people.

I hope for the best for you. :eek:

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
this has just happened to me for the first time. Crap! The computer is 4 days old. I REALLY don't want to have to replace it. Hope something like this can be fixed by a firmware update.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I just can't belive that more people are not complaining about this seeing as how all new mac pros are affected (confirmed by Apple Genius). I guess some people don't put their machines to sleep.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I just can't belive that more people are not complaining about this seeing as how all new mac pros are affected (confirmed by Apple Genius). I guess some people don't put their machines to sleep.
All of them are affected??!! so there is no sense in trying to replace it?

MrPDaddyHimself

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Do Mac Pros have multiple sleep modes? From Terminal, if I run

Code:
pmset -g

I see hibernatemode is set to 0.

This article here explains the setting for MacBook Pros, but I wonder if it applies to Mac Pros too. Maybe this setting is affecting the "reboot after sleep" problem.

Please respond if your setting is different than 0.

I changed the setting from 3 to 0 and it didn't help on my MacBook Pro. I shut down the computer totally. Got up the next morning and now it sleeps fine. Ofcourse I'm still running 10.4.11. But none the less, something was whacked for sure.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006

they told you they're all effected? that's pretty crazy.

at this point, i'm not to concerned about it. i actually don't ever have any reason to sleep my desktop (use it for a recording studio, i just turn it off when i'm done) so it's not really to much of an impediment.

deathshrub said:
Let's hope Apple is rounding up all these returned machines and finding out what the hell is wrong with them to develop a fix.

well, i know they have at least one to have a look at.;)

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I voted NO because I turned off drive and CPU sleepage from the beginning. I use Pro Tools which recommends turning the energy saving options off. It seems like most people are reacting to the "principle" of spending $3k and getting a less-than-perfect product.

I think it's safe to say that there is no definitive action that fixes this problem (yet) and people would sleep better if they either power off their Macs when not in use or set HDD and CPU sleepage to 'Never'.

Returning your Mac will result in you getting a brand new Mac with the same problem.

crm114

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Midwest
I am a "back to the flock" user, after 15 years of freaking PCs for CAD/Animation/Video work.

I have had my MP 2.8 Octo running since last Saturday. I have not had this problem (OR ANY OTHERS, knock on silicon), but I don't have any extra RAM or Drives installed - or Boot Camp. Of, course, as another user mentioned, it takes like 15 -20 second to reboot (AMAZING), so I may not have noticed it?

I have dealt with PC issues (include building them for ten years) and this type of problem is not really a huge deal, COMPARED TO OTHER PROBLEMS I HAVE SEEN - see, I don't want to piss any one off - cause I have been there stuck in the techsupport loop - I am just saying, this could be a lot worse.

I learned years ago, that if there is a simple fix - no matter how badly you want something to work (the way its supposed to) its better just to fix it the best you can and get back to work, than spend six hours on the phone yelling at people (not that that is really the issue here since Apple seems to be aware of this).

Kudos to anyone that has stuck it out to get a replacement! But is that helping?

If you turn off Sleep Mode - it stops doing this right?

I am doing that as we speak just in case, until I hear this issue has been resovled via update.

syvalley

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Ynez Valley, CA
Just as an interesting observation: I had my box for about week before I started experiencing trouble with waking. During that time, I ran completely stock on 10.5.1, but I also ran without problem after installing more memory, more hard drives, and upgrading to 10.5.2, including video upgrade. Then one day, the problem just showed up.

So...I can't really see a clear delineation, equipment or software-wise, between when I did not have problems, and when I started having problems.

The one difference that I've noticed, and this is the interesting observation that I referred to in my first paragraph, is that my 23" ACD used to throb when asleep (mmm...throb) during my trouble-free period, but hasn't throbbed since the first crash.

This is obviously not a cause, but could be a symptom or an indicator of the problem? Anyone else notice a correlation between ACD throbbing and wake-from-sleep problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.