Received 6 plus replacement...refurbished or new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramio, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I had a problem with the iphone 6 plus battery so I had it exchanged at the Apple store today. I brought with me the box and accessories thinking they will give me a new sealed box. Instead she told me to keep the box and accessories and handed a phone out a little white box. Do you think they would have refurbished units this early?. Can I request a new one so the serial matches the box?.

2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

It's way too early for refurbished models. It's new.

3. 617aircav Suspended

You can request it, doesn't mean they will give it to you.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's new replacement stock. A little late to ask for box + serial matching.

5. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

As long as its new, I'm good :)

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Same thing happened to me today. I asked the guy if it was a refurb and he said it was too early for them to have refurbs. (Assuming he knows what he was talking about or wasn't giving me the shove-off.)

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In addition to new retail stock, every store receives new replacement stock for exactly this purpose.

8. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

What was up with the battery?

9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I had the same thing happen to me for my iPhone 6 (64GB - Space Grey for T-Mobile). One weird thing is that this replacement unit I got had a model number that I haven't seen before: NG4W2LL/A

A Google search only yields one result. Hope it's not some refurb part number!

10. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The battery was draining faster than usual. Compared it to my wifes plus and hers lasted longer with similar use. They did a test, confirmed it and I got a new one :)

11. techspin macrumors 6502a

They wiped the fingerprints off of a display unit and put it in a little white box for you. :) Just kidding, congrats on your new phone!

12. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I wish I could compare. I feel like my 6 Plus battery is draining really quickly....but I can't say for sure.

13. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

14. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Thank you :)

----------

Schedule an appointment and they can run a test on the battery.

----------

Battery too?

15. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I just set one for Saturday morning. It could just be my imagination, but it seems like my 6 Plus is draining much, much faster than my 5S ever did. So we'll see what they have to say at the store.

16. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Good luck. Post what they say.

----------

Just checked the model number on my 64gb space grey AT&T and it's the same exact model number as yours. Don't know what that means. Phone seems perfect so in happy.

17. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Wow really? I thought they gave AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones different model numbers? My replacement does not appear to be unlocked since I put in an AT&T SIM and it doesn't work. And mine is the regular 6 whereas I think yours is a 6 Plus?

Maybe apple is just using NG4W2LL/A as a generic model number for replacement phones? Oh well as long as the phone works I guess :)

18. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I think that's what it is. It's probably a code for replacements regardless of the company. I think the phones are new because If I remember correctly, I read somewhere Apple keeps about 3% of available iPhones in stock at a store for replacement purposes.

19. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it's a new phone at this stage. Apple Store replaced my 6 Plus today due to a weird blurry spot right in the center of the screen. They said normally they would try to replace the screen but there're no parts in the supply chain yet. Also said the replacement was a brand new unit. It came in a white box barely bigger than the phone itself.

20. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Is the model number of your replacement 6 Plus also NG4W2LL/A?

21. iphone4sATT macrumors newbie

I have had the 6 since launch and picked up a 6+ this wed. I am using them side by side and my 6+ is draining much faster. Only 6 hours of use from 100 to 0%. My 6 is getting 10 hours. Same settings! Also, my 6+ is lagging and screen is blue and less crisp than my 6. Do i have a lemon or is the 6 just better? I put so much effort into getting this 6+. Should I exchange? I have already drained 10% on the plus with some light browsing for 45 min on 50%.

22. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's a "replacement" part number. Genius Bar/AppleCare replacements will all have a slightly different part number, whether they're new or refurbs.

Since the iPhone 4, there's been no way to tell whether a replacement unit is a refurb or not. The 6/6+ will be new, however, as they won't have physically had time to get refurbs through the process.

23. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Some recycling/buying sites will offer you a lower price or not even take it when you sell because the serial numbers don't match (and some have refurb serials apparently) Thats what I think willmtaylor was saying.

24. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

It shows as NGAU2LL/A. AT&T space gray 64 GB.