Recent iPhone SE owners - yellow screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Droidzoid, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Droidzoid Suspended

Droidzoid

Do you guys still have yellow screens? Or have they improved now?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Myself, my wife and my daughter have all got SEs (bought last July) and none of them have any problems with the screen or the colour

3. samven582 macrumors 6502a

yup its still there

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Purchased a couple from Apple a week ago and sent both back due to a strip of yellow tint at the very top of the screen. When held in landscape in an app with white like Safari it was particularly noticeable that one side of the screen was warm and yellow and the other was cool and bluish. The entire screen was not warm/ yellow - just the top.

That said, found a great deal on an iPhone SE new on eBay this week and it's yet to arrive (likely will get here tomorrow). It has a manufacturing date of last July I believe, so we'll see how that turns out in comparison to the recent ones I purchased from Apple.

5. Droidzoid thread starter Suspended

Droidzoid

How old is your phone?

I sort of assumed that the newer units wouldnt have this issue as compared to the older ones.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, they do. I think it's something to do with the design. Doubt it's going away.

7. Droidzoid thread starter Suspended

Droidzoid

Though there are a lot of people who claim to not have any sort of yellow :/

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Could be. But more likely some people are just more astute and better able to perceive the problem. Just my opinion.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Owned the SE for six months and never experienced a yellow screen. I actually have not heard of the SE experiencing yellow screens until this thread. Usually, it's talked about on the iPhone 7 display.

10. Droidzoid thread starter Suspended

Droidzoid

The entire screen isn't yellow. Just the top edge of the screen is.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I got a 64GB last week that is not yellow. I keep the brightness down to a bit below 50% to improve the battery life but when I turn if all the way up, white screens are seriously white.

12. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Here are some screens from my SE....do you see a yellow band across the top?

IMG_5319.PNG IMG_5320.PNG IMG_5321.PNG

Oh, it's definitely there.....one can clearly see the yellow band if one was so inclined to look at a blank white screen, or even see the entire screen is slightly more yellow if one took the time to put it side by side next to a different screen set to display cooler whites.

But all I see is icons, a bunch of Mac Pro threads, and that it's currently 59 degrees where I live.....and I truly feel sorry for anyone who sees anything else here.

13. Droidzoid thread starter Suspended

Droidzoid

Not really sure if you are being sarcastic but screenshots dont show your screen calibration! lol

14. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Don't have one anymore due this issue.

15. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

My bad. What do you see in this picture?

IMG_0810.JPG
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    Or this one?

IMG_0815.JPG

16. myrtlebee, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

These screen photos are not relevant whatsoever. It is only seen on white screens. And don't say looking at white screens isn't normal usage because it is. Most of iOS is white. Safari. News. Settings. Contacts. Phone. Messages. On and on.

17. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

So you don't think that I don't have the yellow band, or that I'm cherry-picking screens that don't show it, here's a pic that actually shows the slightly yellowing at the top in Safari. When you look at this screen, do you concentrate on the threads, or are you unable to use and consume the content because you are looking at the yellow band at the top?

IMG_0824.JPG
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    Got it. Are you unable to focus on using Safari, reading news, adjusting your settings, looking up a contact, making a phone call, or answering a text because you are so unhappy with a yellow band across the the top of the screen?

Here's my Settings screen.....I see settings to be adjusted. What do you see?

IMG_0825.JPG

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I see that you have an ugly yellow band across the top of your screen. And pretty bad at that. And yes, it is very distracting, and unacceptable for the price of the device. Don't tell me a multibillion dollar company can't do better. Enjoy your sub par screen.

19. Droidzoid thread starter Suspended

Droidzoid

+1

That yellow band looks really ugly. To each their own though.

20. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I have truly enjoyed my SE....it's the best cell phone I've ever had, iPhones and Androids included. It's sad that you and others are distracted by something like this....perhaps you should consider another brand of cell phone?? Otherwise you are stuck in a cycle of buying and returning phones, hoping for "a good one," always unhappy, before eventually settling for less than what makes you happy. Android offers a number of screen control apps that allow you to set the temperature just the way you like it.

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Has nothing to do with setting screen temperature since it is only at the top of the screen. I have no problem with a screen that is any tint as long as it is uniform. Pretty sad that Apple has such bad quality when it comes to screens. Recently returned two 2017 iPads because of dust between the glass and screen. Seems almost every Apple product has screen issues in my experience. It's just that some of us are very observant, and others not so much, or they just don't care and will take anything they're given. Glad you can live with it.

22. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Have you thought about switching to Samsung or even Microsoft hardware? I can't imagine sticking with products that made me unhappy to use.

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I don't stick with products that make me unhappy using them. I return them if they don't meet my standards. Then I try my hand at purchasing again later on, and meanwhile stick with what I have until I find one satisfactory. I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I have an iPhone coming tomorrow - if I don't find it to my liking I will either return it or sell it. I love Apple software - and hardware too mostly, except for the screen issues. I am way too deeply entrenched in the Apple software ecosystem to ever switch anyway. To your point, using any device but an Apple device would make me very unhappy, so switching companies for my products isn't an option.

24. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Bought my wife one about two months ago. Has a yellow band on top. Drives me crazy but she doesn't care so we kept it.