Recommendation for non-Mac Monitor for Macbookpro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pryerson, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pryerson macrumors newbie

I don't know a ton about computers but have a macbook pro from 2007 and I am looking for a larger monitor to purchase to go with it. I can't afford a Mac Display but am looking for another brand that will work well and is easy to set up. I would prefer like 22 inches.

If you can recommend a good monitor that works well, is easy to set up and also let me know what other cords I might need to make it all work, that would be most helpful.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need to tell us what you do for a living so that we can recommend you a monitor (there are a bunch of factors in play).

You also do not want a 22". You want a 20" or a 24".

22" monitors have no more pixels than 20" monitors, and therefore just stretch the pixels.

20": 1680x1050
    24": 1920x1200

22": 1680x1050

3. Doju macrumors 68000

Get a 23". Some even have higher than HD resolutions. There's a dell on in the 2000s.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except... are there any manufacturers that even make 23" monitors other than Apple? :D:confused:

Yeah, I forgot; there are some monitors in the 20-24" range that have crazy high resolutions now. In the case of those, size really doesn't matter, just know that most displays follow this resolution pattern:

20-23: 1680x1050
    24-29: 1920x1200
    30: 2650x1600

5. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

I do public relations so I don't need something that is over the top in performance but want something that shows a great, vibrant screen and is easy to set up.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cool. You'll probably want something glossy (unless your lighting would cause glare. You'll have to decide that for yourself), and then a TN or MVA panel would be okay.

You wouldn't need a H-IPS panel, unless color accuracy is a big issue.

I'm not good at finding displays... :eek: with this criteria, could someone suggest something?

7. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. For someone that doesn't know alot about computers, it can get really confusing. I don't even know what TN or MVA panel means but thanks for pointing me in a direction. Color accuracy isn't super important, but of course I don't want the color to be messed up (seems like the H-IPS is for people doing detailed graphics???)

If anyone can recommend some specific brands/sizes that would be amazing.

Thanks everyone!:)

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

9. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I think that site is a bit over my head. Does anyone have a specific recommendation that they have had experience with?

10. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

Have you looked into Dell monitors? Dell and Apple have been known to sometimes use the same panels in there monitors, but Dell's are much less expensive (and with more of a variety of inputs/outputs). I personally own a Dell 2005fpw (20 inch, 1680x1050) and I love it. Everything is super sharp.

This guy has put out a list of his top 5 22" monitors.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/tp/Wide20inchLCD.htm

The Dell is #1 on that list.

11. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so so so much. I will check these out. So was your monitor easy to set up? Also, what cord do I need to purchase/have to connect the two?

12. Psychmike macrumors regular

I second Dell monitors. Make sure you pick up something from their Ultra Sharp lineup even though these are more expensive. I have a 20" 1600x1200 and it looks great.

13. rareflares macrumors regular

My Samsung 2333 sw 23" 1920x1200 would like to say hi. :)

14. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, was thinking of going with the SP2009W - 20 Inch Dell widescreen with built in webcam. Any objections :)

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Not long ago, in another thread, I was recommending the 24" HP2475LW. I had only been using it a couple of weeks. With more time at it, I like it even better.

Will you be sitting and sharing your screen with clients? If so, then that's a reason to make sure you have a PVA or IPS panel, because the useful viewing angles are large (compared to TN panels). If it's only you, then probably it's not very important.

16. pryerson thread starter macrumors newbie

no, won't be sharing the screen with clients. I think having the built in webcam would be nice though so I can use my ichat.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's exactly why I prefer 22" (or 27"). So will you. Eventually. :eek:

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

AnandTech's The LCD Thread is an excellent source of information on LCD displays. Scroll down to the 2nd post in the thread for a list of recommended monitors for different purposes, etc.

19. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

Seems like a good monitor with a good resolution. I would read some reviews before I decided on anything.

Here are a few reviews:
    http://www.retrevo.com/s/Dell-SP2009W-Monitors-review-manual/id/20693dj595/t/1-2/

As for your question about the chord, any monitor you choose should come with the chords you need. In case you don't already know, the type of chord you'll need would be a DVI chord, and depending on your model Mac you might need a 'something-to-DVI' adapter.

On a side note, and this is just my preference, I would get a 20" monitor over a 22" simply because they are typically less expensive and the picture much more crisp.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

OK, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just saw where Dell had this monitor for $147. How do you like this monitor? I've been looking for something better than my 5 year old 19in. LCD for my Mini.

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yes, I have seen everyone raving about that one. The problem is that $369 price tag. I don't have that much to blow on a new monitor. I was really looking in the $200-$250 range, or lower. I won't be doing photo/video editing or viewing at weird angles. I was looking for a monitor with height adjustment, since my desk sits a little high, but that feature is somewhat rare it seems.

22. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...5&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=27722&lid=628335

Make your own business name.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Make sure its compatible before you make the purchase.

also the Dell ultra sharp 2408wfp is really popular around here. You can get it on ebay brand new for like $400 - $500