Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Due to the high numbers of publications of scratches, which seems to be something we need to live with it, as with higher durability, lower scratch resistant comes, I was wondering what you can recommend.

I was always a naked phone guy and actually don’t like them. I also can say that I’m a careful guy as I almost never drop my phone and normally treat it well.

But with the new glass I want to be a little more safe.

Please suggest also premium protectors, if I can spent over 1k€ I don’t mind spending a little more for protection.

Thanks!

Edit: If possible describe your personal experiences with the protectors your recommend.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
ok, coming from experience. I also was a no protector person, none of my phones had protectors including my iphone x, no scratches. Now for the iphone 12, i decided to try again. First started by buying the expensive Belkin from Apple. I screwed it up leaving a couple specs of dust under the glass. Then people here recommended ESR. Bought a 3 pack from Amazon for $14.

My comparisons is this:

1) the belkin was $45 for a single protector. The glass seems good but it didn't cover the notch at the top or was wide enough to cover the entire screen like the ESR. I also noticed a slight bit of light bleed because there wasn't as much screen coverage as the ESR

2) the ESR while cheap, covered everything including the notch, i see no light bleed and was easier to put on. It's smooth and clear and looks like I have no protector on it at all.

While I'll bet the Belkin offers better protection overall, probably due to superior material, I'm extremely happy with the ESR as again, can't even tell I have a protector and no protector is better than none at all. My recommendation is for the ESR.

ap123ap

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2015
Another ESR user here and very happy with it!

71af9411e9082998bebed5d4fb659dc4.jpg

1f2f97dfbb29cd98735cdafcde707bb6.jpg

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The latercase screen protector is suppose to be made of gorilla glass. Kind of pricey but maybe worth it.

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I hate to admit but due to time constraints the one Apple put on when I picked my pro up is perfect. It’s not glass which sucks but its flawless I can barely tell it’s there. Only downside it doesn’t cover the entire screen. Yeah $50 but worth the money for scratches if you’re OCD like me.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I hate to admit but due to time constraints the one Apple put on when I picked my pro up is perfect. It’s not glass which sucks but its flawless I can barely tell it’s there. Only downside it doesn’t cover the entire screen. Yeah $50 but worth the money for scratches if you’re OCD like me.
The Belkin screen protector is not made of glass? I looked on the Belkin website and all the screen protectors listed for the iPhone 12 are made of glass.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
The Belkin screen protector is not made of glass? I looked on the Belkin website and all the screen protectors listed for the iPhone 12 are made of glass.
The Belkin is made of glass unless he got a different one

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Belkin had the ultracurve for the 11 Pro and Pro Max. Was one of my favorites. Full screen minus the notch. Hopefully they come back for 12/12Pro.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
In regards to tempered glass, I buy the cheapest 3 pack! When I was young and foolish, I purchase Zagg and pay like $30 for it! Now I just get the Amazom 9H .33 thickness shatter resistance, etc... with no frame to help place it on to the iPhone for $3.00. Of course, it up to you. I find the cheap stuff works very well for me and I usually upgrade my iPhone each year too! I do not use a case either!

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Same. Cheapest tempered glass 3 pack. I never use the application tray, been eyeballing screen protector applications myself since the Palm Pro days. :)

I've never had an issue with the cheap glass, and if it happens to crack (I've never cracked a screen), I just slap on a new one. I do choose the ones with the notch cutout though -- I'm not sure how well FaceID works with the covered ones (maybe it's still fine?)

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Same. Cheapest tempered glass 3 pack. I never use the application tray, been eyeballing screen protector applications myself since the Palm Pro days. :)

I've never had an issue with the cheap glass, and if it happens to crack (I've never cracked a screen), I just slap on a new one. I do choose the ones with the notch cutout though -- I'm not sure how well FaceID works with the covered ones (maybe it's still fine?)
Face ID works fine with Protector covering it no issues

Reactions: tekchic

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I have the Belkin screen protector. The Apple store employee mentioned to me they’re lifetime warranty — if you get a crack or it gets damaged, report it to Belkin and they’ll send you another one for free.

it feels nice and I have no complaints so far.

Reactions: Stan.06

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I have the Belkin screen protector. The Apple store employee mentioned to me they’re lifetime warranty — if you get a crack or it gets damaged, report it to Belkin and they’ll send you another one for free.

What about in store installs? Will they honor that as well?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
$45 Belkin. Damn.

A standard glass protector costs $0.50. You’d have to replace it under warranty nearly 90 times to break even.

Reactions: sameer0924

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016

They say that but when you actually contact belkin it’s null and they don’t do replacements.

Reactions: Craiguyver

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
ok, coming from experience. I also was a no protector person, none of my phones had protectors including my iphone x, no scratches. Now for the iphone 12, i decided to try again. First started by buying the expensive Belkin from Apple. I screwed it up leaving a couple specs of dust under the glass. Then people here recommended ESR. Bought a 3 pack from Amazon for $14.

My comparisons is this:

1) the belkin was $45 for a single protector. The glass seems good but it didn't cover the notch at the top or was wide enough to cover the entire screen like the ESR. I also noticed a slight bit of light bleed because there wasn't as much screen coverage as the ESR

2) the ESR while cheap, covered everything including the notch, i see no light bleed and was easier to put on. It's smooth and clear and looks like I have no protector on it at all.

While I'll bet the Belkin offers better protection overall, probably due to superior material, I'm extremely happy with the ESR as again, can't even tell I have a protector and no protector is better than none at all. My recommendation is for the ESR.

Cheers! You mind sharing a pic from your phone with the protector on? You mind also sharing the one you are using from ESR? There seem a lot of the.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Here is the thing about “lifetime warranty” for these. They don’t tell you that when you get a new phone, that is not covered. So when you upgrade your phone (assuming it’s a different screen size) your lifetime warranty is no longer and you have to buy a different one. So basically it’s a year or two warranty. Lol

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
here you go, just got a couple air gaps on the corners, otherwise perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: ales876

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Another ESR user here and very happy with it!
Can't see ever using one of those, the edges look like they go over the band seam and are already collecting pocket lint. You'd never be able to put most cases on the phone because of the closeness to the edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.