Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week introduced a redesigned sixth-generation iPad mini that looks much closer to the current iPad Air, with slimmer bezels, a Touch ID power button, a USB-C port, compatibility with the second-generation Apple Pencil, and more.

ipad-mini-purple.jpg

The new iPad mini is equipped with the same A15 Bionic chip as iPhone 13 models, and while Apple doesn’t advertise the amount of RAM in the device, MacRumors can confirm that the new iPad mini has 4GB of RAM, an increase from 3GB of in the previous iPad mini. We can also confirm the ninth-generation iPad has the same 3GB of RAM as the eighth-generation model. These amounts were revealed in strings contained within the Xcode 13 beta.

For comparison, the iPad Pro is available with up to 16GB of RAM depending on storage capacity, while the latest iPad Air has 4GB of RAM.

The same type of Xcode strings accurately revealed the amount of RAM in iPhone 12 models last year and in several previous iPhone generations. Teardowns and regulatory filings should provide further confirmation in the coming days.

The new iPad mini and iPad models are available to order now on Apple's website and launch on Friday, September 24.

Article Link: Redesigned iPad Mini Has Increased 4GB of RAM, iPad 9 Remains at 3GB

Last edited:

specious

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
This is the iPad to beat now. Pair it with a cheap external monitor, BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad and you have a mobile office workhorse. Ordered Purple, my first non-black or white electronic device potentially ever.

Would have preferred 8GB of RAM tho. But still, it'll do.

Benjamin Nabulsi

Contributor
Apr 28, 2020
it's super strange how FaceID is not a feature and they've sticked into touchid.
the cheap iPhone XR has it, it feels like touchID in power button is being sticked into the air and mini to justify the research it went into it.

hopefully the sales of the new mini this year will justify calling it mini pro and adding features (but not the cluster of cams)

Vasilisxd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
This is the iPad to beat now. Pair it with a cheap external monitor, BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad and you have a mobile office workhorse. Ordered Purple, my first non-black or white electronic device potentially ever.

Would have preferred 8GB of RAM tho. But still, it'll do.

Have you even seen the new 2021 Android tablets with PC mode , that can run multiple Apps in Windowed mode when you attach a keyboard and a mouse ?

cameronp16

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2020
Texas
With the way Apple optimizes RAM, I'm not too concerned about 4GB long-term. Given the mini update cycle, I feel like this will be around for the next 3 years at least, which is on average how long I keep iPads. I'm still on an iPad 6, so I feel like this will suit me better and "future-proof" me more than the iPad 9.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
The question is: does Apple optimize iPadOS RAM use for individual iPads?

If not, then that 3GB is the least-common denominator, which SUCKS.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
4GB is barely enough for shipped iPadOS but will be a pain point for future iPadOS updates. For $649 for the 256GB it should come with 8GB but that would cannibalize the iPad Pro but at least compromise on 6GB. Greedy penny squeezing Tim Cook ruining new product launches.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Have you even seen the new 2021 Android tablets with PC mode , that can run multiple Apps in Windowed mode when you attach a keyboard and a mouse ?

I have a Galaxy Tab S7. Dex mode lets you fully utilize an external monitor, although no 4K yet.

Problem is it's Android. And Dex is a hack, albeit a pretty good one. Still Android. Not even close, imo. But for external monitor use, it's pretty awesome. 'Super Display' is another really good solution.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016
Remember it's a balance between amount of RAM and battery life, so you wouldn't just want more, when the battery is so small compared with the bigger iPads.
iOS devices need less RAM compared with Android devices as Android uses "Garbage Collection" memory model, but iOS uses "Reference Counting".
My point being engineers always need to balance power, space, cost, etc. But commenters always know better :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.