Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The long-rumored and highly anticipated redesigned 16-inch MacBook Pro with Apple silicon will enter its phase of mass production in the first quarter of next year, according to industry sources cited in a paywalled DigiTimes report.

16-inch-macbook-pro-m2-render.jpg

According to the report, the smaller 14-inch MacBook Pro will enter "volume production" in the fourth quarter of this year, while the larger 16-inch model is aimed at the first quarter of next year. However, despite mass production for the laptops starting later in the year and next year, DigiTimes still reports that Apple will announce them in the second half of 2021.
Apple plans to release two miniLED-backlit MacBook Pro products - a 14-inch and a 16-inch - in the second half of 2021, noted the sources.

Judging from the supply of miniLED backlighting applications, volume production of the 14-inch MacBook Pro is likely to begin in the fourth quarter of 2021, and the 16-inch model will start in the first quarter of 2022, said the sources.
The scenario described by DigiTimes is reminiscent of the launch of the new M1 iPad Pro. The new iPad was announced in April but didn't begin shipping until the second half of May. Even then supply continues to remains tight, with some customers having to wait until July.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has previously noted that Apple could be planning to announce the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro as soon as early this summer. Apple will be holding its Worldwide Developers Conference on June 7, and ahead of the conference, some tenuous reports have suggested the MacBook Pros could be announced; however, those claims have yet to be backed up by reliable sources.

Article Link: Redesigned MacBook Pro Models May Not Ship to Customers Until Late 2021

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
I don't believe this report. Whilst Apple won't directly say something, they do a significant amount of expectation management. If no hardware was coming at WWDC, "Mark Gurman" would have said something along those lines to temper expectations.

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
I’m returned my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro. The reason is that it offers nothing new whatsoever in the user experience. To be clear, the screen is sublime, but besides that, thunderbolt and WiFi 6/5G isn’t valid. At least not yet and marginal.
Admit it you only returned it because you wanted the wireless charging iPad Pro which comes out next year ?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Wasn't there already a report that the M2/M1X wouldn't start delivery until July? Don't know how people thought they'd get one right after WWDC with that. I could still see an announcement at WWDC but availability will probably be stated as "fall" and be December.

edit to add: this is DigiTimes but maybe they got one right this time
It reads exactly like a similar report from a couple of weeks back, even down to the specific language used.

I guess we will still get an announcement next week, but its where you can order straight after the event or if it will be almost like a "teaser" for something that's coming soon.

Reactions: cmamb

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I call BS… why announce these machines at WWDC, then not ship til November, they would be better off announcing them in November with immediate shipping…

So to that end I think either:

A: The MBP announced Monday will launch without miniLED with a minor refresh late this year to include miniLED with a $100 price bump

or

B: They will launch without miniLED for faster delivery, but they will have the optional upgrade of miniLED for an extra $100 but those who opt to include miniLED won’t ship until late 2021.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I call BS… why announce these machines at WWDC, then not ship til November, they would be better off announcing them in November with immediate shipping…

So to that end I think either:

A: The MBP announced Monday will launch without miniLED with a minor refresh late this year to include miniLED with a $100 price bump

or

B: They will launch without miniLED for faster delivery, but they will have the optional upgrade of miniLED for an extra $100 but those who opt to include miniLED won’t ship until late 2021.
Yeah, it doesn’t sound like Apple to have such a large gap in announcement and shipping date. However, it could be that the chip shortage is affecting production more than they thought. Still, it’s not good marketing to have such delay. You’ll be losing the momentum of hype. Better save the announcement at October or November like usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.