Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I could swear by the majority of your posts prior to early 2013 you loathed Apple Mac's just because?!?? Guess you're back to loving Mac's again :D
I still think they are an awful company that is going to release a gimped product that I will begrudgingly buy since I do not really have another option for a notebook.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
I work at a freight company and can confirm that apple has been getting stock ready! Many tall pallets full of apple products are coming in daily!

Who knows what exactly is in them, but I'm sure it's due to new products launching soon.

It could just be the current stock.

romrp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
Hoping for the best

Although I really like the Airs, slick and all, I cannot live without the MBP 15. I still got my Late 2011/i7 and decided not to move to the 2012s even with the very appealing USB 3. This decision came after I spent and entire week working with the retina model, nice screen and all, but in overall it just sucked big time. The apps were not ready for it and the web sites in general look just bad. I am waiting for this new release for more then a year now and I truly hope that apple do not decide to move from a very powerful unit to a bigger Air with a Quad CPU. I really do not care about the weight and thickness and what they did with the non-retina models was not fair. If you power up the unit it costs more then the Retina models... That was a really bad decision from Apple in my view. They are more into profits only now, trying to reach the regular consumer, but they are forgetting the power users, the developers, the designers and etc. I truly hope I don't have to move to a PC and have to hackintosh it somehow.

romrp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
I still have my late 2011 17" macbook pro which I have put 16gb of ram in it, pulled the dvd drive out and replaced with an optibay adapter with a 120gb ssd. Combined with a 750gb internal and configured with a fusion drive setup. Bought a $20 expresscard that adds 2 usb 3.0 ports. Usually I keep my computers for a couple years....sell and then upgrade however I am torn that if I upgrade to a macbook pro retina not only am I going to drop for 17" to 15" which I could deal with - but going to have to pay a hell of a lot more money and have to pay apples premium to get 16gb of ram stock since it is soldered in! Also if the ram goes bad then you would have to have applecare otherwise you will have to pay a rediculous amount to get that repaired. Also if you wanted to keep one of these longer than the 3 year applecare warranty you still cannot fix it yourself given how much of a pain in the ass it is to fix anything on. Even so I was not too concerned with getting a retina display mbp however from what I could tell you could only get a non retina with the lesser graphics card and also only max it out at 8gb of ram! Its like they are trying to force people to buy a retina display model. If I were to get a 15" model comparable with ram and hard drive storage plus apple care it would push the cost over $3000. This is unacceptable to me and I have not minded paying a premium for an apple product in the past but in this case I have to pay so much more to get what I want and even then the upgrades are not as flexible and the cost is around $500 more than what I paid for my 17" mbp. Of course I could go without applecare but then I could end up with a 15" laptop that turns into a brick when a piece of hardware goes wrong.

Those are my complains too. I still have my MBP 15 late 2011 and I am very reluctant to exchange, due to the lack of trust in those new standards, read retina.

djra8

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
I have mixed feelings on discrete graphics. While discrete graphics is a must for gamers and graphics artists, they penalize other segment of users with worse battery life, increased heat, increased fan use, and higher cost.

I am a software developer and I just want a decent GPU that can keep up with internal and secondary displays. And at the same time, I want the longest battery life possible without increasing weight and size.

I am hoping Haswell brings just that and Apple offer discrete graphics as built-to-order option for those that need it.

As for storage, flash storage is becoming much cheaper. Today, one can shell out $2600 for non-retina MacBook Pro with 2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB hard disk, and high resolution graphics or $400 more for rMBP with 2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 768GB flash storage. By next year, I fully expect 768GB flash storage rMBP to cost the same.

Sounds like you dont need a Macbook Pro.. you need a macbook air.. the dGpu is part of what makes the "pro" a "pro" in the first place. however, no dGpu in the new macbook pro almost makes it a 15 inch retina macbook air.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Sounds like you dont need a Macbook Pro.. you need a macbook air.. the dGpu is part of what makes the "pro" a "pro" in the first place. however, no dGpu in the new macbook pro almost makes it a 15 inch retina macbook air.

When and if I can get retina display, faster quad-core CPU, 16GB+ memory capacity (8 GB vs. 16GB), and 768GB+ flash storage, I will take 13" MBA. For now, the only way to get all these is with 15" retina MBP.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Only 2 options fit the bill: DDR4 slots (which is not going to happen) or 4x DDR3 slots.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Lol ... fair enough man fair enough. Hopefully you'll get to enjoy it better than you had hoped for.
At this point, I just want a new notebook. I know I'm going to regret every minute of it but it'll be a new notebook.

I would like it this week too. I'm willing to drive the store and get angry at those poor sods to take my money.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I remember when I felt the same way.. It's a hunger created by a PC world.. :p

After switching to Mac I've never needed or wanted to upgrade parts. :p

----------

:eek::eek::eek:
Pretty sure the new Mac Pro's won't have Haswells!!
:eek::eek::eek:

;)

with a 128/256 ssd? maybe you just use your computer as a browser

ITCentralPoint

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Switzerland
I cant wait no more!

I am ripping my hairs out of my head waiting for the new MacBook Pro :D

I´ve been working with PCs and Windows since 17 years and I finally took the decision to go Mac. Lets see if I never come back :)

Hope the announcement is in September 10th...although online posts and news are making me doubt that they could push it back to October with the launch of the MacPro...That would means...more waiting :(

jonw8uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
As the MacPro is having a major redesign I'd say it follows that a radical overhaul is due on the MBP line-up.

All reports/rumours suggest this time around it'll be an upgrade to Haswell and other performance bumps probably meaning the big re-design is a year away.... so it's a dilemma for me, carry on for another year with my 2009 MBP (optical out/SSD in) which is still performing ok....ish, or buy this version for all the good bits I do want, USB 3(!), thunderbolt, native airplay support etc, then kick myself next year when the baddass update finally arrives...

...and sell my year old MBP anyway...! :D

paulgee

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
Security attachment

I hope the new ones have a way of securing the laptop. I bought a retina model in November 2012 and didn't realise until January 2013 that Apple had removed the kensington lock hole. This renders a really really nice and powerful laptop and absolute financial liability when used in any workplace. Thankfully I bought it from a place that had a 3 month returns policy which I gladly used. Apple's loss. I simply couldn't believe how many people convinced themselves they didn't need to secure their laptop. Hey in fact, if you're one of them, tell me where you work and I'll grab one for free while you're taking a leak LOL. Seriously, if it doesn't have a hole I'm not buying.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Will we ever see a black MacBook again? Apple has proven it can successfully produce black aluminum products in the iPhone and iPad Mini. I WANT A BLACK ALUMINUM MACBOOK PRO AND/OR MACBOOK AIR!

I'd love a Mac Pro inspired black 17" Macbook Pro with dual user upgradable 2.5" SSD bays in place of an optical drive, 4 RAM slots, Thunderbolt 2 and PCIe SSD as standard.

----------

They should completely revamp the hardware design since there's no optical drive anymore. Mini Mac Pro design maybe :p
It really doesn't make sense that it is still shaped around the dimensions of a piece of hardware that's been removed for good.

I don't suppose you noticed it's shaped around a completely redesigned internal setup with dual 2.5" SATA bays in place since the switch from Core 2 Duo systems with optical drives? That's a big deal for a lot of people considering the size of the unit. Make it bigger and it wouldn't be mini anymore, make it smaller and they'd have to kill the server version and it would be yet more form-over-function at a bloated price point like it's older brother, the iMac.

Last edited:

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I'm waiting for 32GB, 1TB SSD, 2 GB nVidia graphics card and ultra-retina... It's like normal retina but double the pixels.

John Purple

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Out of stock

I just visited my local branch of "Saturn", one of Germany's biggest Apple sellers. They completely run out of stock with rMBP and had only one MBP left.
Any idea?

SidedTech

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Obviously not a 'trusted source'

"KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo originally predicted new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors at WWDC back in June, but later updated his prediction to suggest a mid-September release for the refreshed MacBook Pros."

Why does this person continue to have information featured if the only time the predictions come true is when everyone knows at that point?

:confused::confused::confused:

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
"KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo originally predicted new MacBook Pros with Haswell processors at WWDC back in June, but later updated his prediction to suggest a mid-September release for the refreshed MacBook Pros."

Why does this person continue to have information featured if the only time the predictions come true is when everyone knows at that point?

:confused::confused::confused:

Because there has to be as many Mac-based rumours as possilble on the site or it would need to be called iOS rumours instead because Mac-related content is dwarfed by market share information and iGadget rumours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.