Refurb or used

Discussion in 'iPad' started by migdaddy, May 24, 2012.

1. migdaddy macrumors 6502

Would you guys buy a refurbished iPad 2 16 GB for $319 with a 1 yr warranty all from Apple OR the same or 32 gb iPad 2 for the same price or maybe $50 less for USED from craigslist. I would obviously meet up with the person and inspect it, but if something happened I would be screwed. How reliable are refurbished iPads? The 1 year warranty is key in my eyes.

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Refurbished iPads are very reliable, often better than new due to the second inspection through the refurb process.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Go with refurbished. They're as good as new, and as you point out you get a real warranty from Apple. You can even extend the warranty with AppleCare just like a new unit.

4. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

5. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you add ram to iPads? I know the iPad 3 has twice as much ram so its faster. Im going to using the Ipad for lots of things but one of them being watching streaming videos with a flash browser, and im worried that the ram might be an issue in speed.

6. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Get the refurbished, and no you can not upgrade ram in the iPad.

7. felixgun macrumors member

DEFINITELY the refurb. Used from CL always comes with a bit of sketchiness compared to just buying it straight from apple.com, IMO.

8. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Just in case the previous posters can't convince you...

pick refurbished! You never know what you are going to get from CL or places like eBay but you are guarenteed to get a iPad in perfect condition and a year warranty to boot.

9. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

just bought a refurd iPad 2 a few weeks ago and could not be happier.

Good price + good machine = happy customer :D

Have a good day,
    HiddenPuppy

10. Gol27 macrumors regular

No you can't upgrade any part of the iPad unfortunately. Also if you intend to use it mainly for flash videos I would look else where. Safari doesn't play flash video and never will. There are apps that will play flash but in my personal experience they aren't worth the money and are generally quite buggy.

An as for new or used.. I would get the cheaper larger capacity used model. I would then use the money saved to get an insurance policy out. That way you have the larger capacity and are protected against accidental damage.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's a bit more complicated than simply picking refurbished from Apple or used from Craigslist. The OP stated the refurbished unit from Apple is only 16GB while the craigslist iPad is 32GB for the same price.

As long as the seller agrees to meet in a public place, states why he or she is selling it, and is willing to let you inspect the iPad yourself then I think craigslist transactions can be a good deal. For added security, you could ask to see a printout of the receipt.

That being said, I think those who can successfully get a good deal on an iPad on craigslist should know a lot about them and have experience using one. If its your very first iPad and you don't know much about them then I'd get it directly from Apple. You'll have more return/warranty options should it not be what you expect.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

Apple has refurbs in the larger 32gb capacity also.
    If the warranty is key you can also add Apple care plus to a Refurb order.

13. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Refurb. Warranty plus the ability to add AppleCare.

14. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im gonna head over to Apple today and pick 1 up. Im going to try and stick to my gameplan for only a refurbished model and spending no more than $400. Im notorious for going and buying something and coming out with the latest and greatest. Like I said, I will only be using the iPad for internet surfing, music, and Mytown2 and other apps. Thats it. Since the flash is an issue, ill just continue to use my macbook when I need to watch a live stream.

15. Mk4Jetta macrumors newbie

You can only buy a refurb from their website.

16. citivolus macrumors 6502a

definitely get a refurb. that's what I did after browsing CL, and I couldn't be happier.

17. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ipad 2 16 GB refurbished ordered! Expedited shipping ($12) so it should be here Monday. Total came out to $360 with a 1 yr warranty. Stoked!

18. donnaw macrumors 65816

Congrats on your order.

I'll add one more plus towards a referb that hasn't been mentioned and that's the battery. The referb will likely have a new one whereas you have no idea about the used one. Buying a used iPad and having to get a battery replaced just ups the cost of ownership.

Have fun!

19. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point! Guy on the phone at apple told me the iPads go through a bigger inspection process being refurbished than they do when they are brand new.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just bought a new iPad2 White from Apple. Should I return it and go with a refurb? And will Apple allow me to send it back without a restocking fee? :)

21. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

how much did u spend?

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

$399 new vs $319 used. I went with new because i'm hoping to get the 32nm chips which increase battery life. But I can also get a 32GB iPad 2 for the same price $399 :)

23. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I would just keep it. Not worth the hassle of exchanging and all that to save $80, unless you need the $80 to feed yourself.

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

Good point i'll keep it, I already own an iPad 3. :)