Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
To anyone who has bought a Refurbed MacBook from Apple (or any Mac really)
Was the experience as easy as buying new? Do they replace the outside shells such as with iOS devices? Or did you notice any cosmetic defects? Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal.
  • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold by any 3rd party or local Apple stores
  • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
  • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
  • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
  • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
  • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
  • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
  • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
  • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
  • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I've purchased a couple refurb iMacs, and my most recent MBP was a refurb. No problems with them at all. Definitely the easiest, safest way to get a good deal on a Mac.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
my early 2011 is refurb and its flawless i could not find one scratch or mark on it, like others said its the same as new just the box is plain white instead of the apple logoed one

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I mean, refurbs are previously used machines that have been restored for one reason or another. Sure, it's not fresh from the factory, but on the other hand you know more attention has gone into making sure it's free of defects.

In case you're not eligible for any other discounts or the refurb prices being better than with your discount - get the refurb.

MrCaff

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
You mentioned the serial number marks it as a refurb, would that have any effect on apple with there "3 strikes and a new machine" policy?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You mentioned the serial number marks it as a refurb, would that have any effect on apple with there "3 strikes and a new machine" policy?
The refurb is treated as a new machine for warranty purposes. There is no "3 strikes and a new machine" policy. Apple considers each case individually when deciding if a new computer replacement is appropriate, regardless of the number of repairs that have been performed.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The refurb is treated as a new machine for warranty purposes. There is no "3 strikes and a new machine" policy. Apple considers each case individually when deciding if a new computer replacement is appropriate, regardless of the number of repairs that have been performed.

There might not be any policies regarding this, but of course Apple looks at the complete history when looking at a case (including how many times the specific machine has been in and for what). Anything else would be nothing short of foolish.

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
As the other said just like new. I would not hesitate to buy another if I was in the market for a new laptop.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I helped a client buy a Core2Duo 24" iMac. We found one on the refurb store for $1299 vs. the $1999 retail price.

I was surprised when it arrived in a standard Apple retail box. The box had a golfball-size hole in it; so did the exterior shipping box. But the holes did not match-up!

Apparently the iMac was returned because of the hole, Apple checked it out and didn't find any damage, so the iMac was simply boxed-up in the original boxes and placed in the refurb store. Since the refurb discount was significantly higher for the iMac I assume that the damaged boxes affected its price.

The iMac worked as expected and the last time I heard from my client it was still humming along nicely.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
There might not be any policies regarding this, but of course Apple looks at the complete history when looking at a case (including how many times the specific machine has been in and for what). Anything else would be nothing short of foolish.

If you're saying they look at the history prior to refurbishment I don't think you are correct, because the whole idea of a new serial is to give the computer a new identity.

If you were jus talking about the history of the machine with it's specific serial, then that's of course correct.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If you're saying they look at the history prior to refurbishment I don't think you are correct, because the whole idea of a new serial is to give the computer a new identity.

If you were jus talking about the history of the machine with it's specific serial, then that's of course correct.

No no, I wasn't considering "pre refurb history" :)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So I'll most likely be going the refurb path :p
Sadly the MacBook I wanted, was on the Apple store for 1 day.. Then it was gone :(

MrCaff

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
I'm getting seriously tempted by the low prices 15" with hi res anti glare and the 6770m gpu...

TEMPTING@!!!!!!!!!!

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The only difference between a refurb and brand new Mac is that you save a crapload of money with the refurb.

From my perspective, I've had nothing but pleasant experiences.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I mean, refurbs are previously used machines that have been restored for one reason or another. Sure, it's not fresh from the factory, but on the other hand you know more attention has gone into making sure it's free of defects.

In case you're not eligible for any other discounts or the refurb prices being better than with your discount - get the refurb.

Sums it up pretty well really, I have not personally bought, but wish I had sometimes, buddies have and it's top notch. As posted here, you still have the peace of mind of Apple warranty, and you know the Mac has been tested.

In some cases you may be better off with the refurb....Just like new.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
my early 2010 mbp 15" was refurb and I did have to send it back a few times because of random issues. But they were issues documented even amongst those who purchased new units, so it wasn't a big deal. It's also worth mentioning :apple: puts a tiny bit more effort into customer support than most other large tech companies.

my 2011 mbp 15" was also refurb and it is perfect, save for some backlight bleeding (this has happened on every single macbook & iOS device Ive ever owned)

I think it also depends on who is doing the refurbishing. If you buy a certified Apple refurb product from their online store, you can pretty much be sure you'll get a quality unit, no scratches on screen, "new" cosmetic appearance, etc.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I bought a refurb Mini from the Apple store, no issues. I have never heard of anyone having anything but good luck when buying refurb, and you do save some nice $$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.