Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
honestly i'm bored with 4.3 - i'd like to test iOS 5 and see how things are :D

any regrets?

None so far. Battery life seems better the whole thing seems faster. No checkerboard pattern in safari. Only thing that sucks is AirPlay isnt working on beta 1.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
None so far. Battery life seems better the whole thing seems faster. No checkerboard pattern in safari. Only thing that sucks is AirPlay isnt working on beta 1.

thanks - so i'm reading - no notifications list yet?

androidpopjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
It's been pretty fun so far and I've had no regrets. It's a bummer that Netflix and HBO don't work but it's a beta, you expect this stuff. If you do, make sure to turn off email notifications. Some of us have been having a problem where we can't get it to wake up without a hard reboot. We think that's the problem.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
It's been pretty fun so far and I've had no regrets. It's a bummer that Netflix and HBO don't work but it's a beta, you expect this stuff. If you do, make sure to turn off email notifications. Some of us have been having a problem where we can't get it to wake up without a hard reboot. We think that's the problem.

yikes - retard move - i did a restore instead of upgrade - am i f'd?

i'm at the main screen anyway - the 3 click home thing activates the voice but i cant seem to get past that.

how newb of me

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

Where is AirPlay not working for you? I've used it with beta 1 to stream music, YouTube, and AirPlay mirroring.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

i'm at the main screen anyway - the 3 click home thing activates the voice but i cant seem to get past that.

how newb of me

Is your device registered with apple as a developer device?

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

I have the same wake/reboot issue. Ty for the suggested fix.

androidpopjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010

how newb of me

Do you have your device registered or are you trying that loop hole trick that I've seen on some blogs?

If you did the loop hole trick, I think i read you have to do another 3 clicks at the voice screen and it will take you to the emergency phone call screen. I think. I'm not even sure how trust worthy this way of doing it is. Good luck and let us know.

androidpopjr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I have the same wake/reboot issue. Ty for the suggested fix.

I'm not a 100% this is the solution but my iPad hasn't froze since. It happened to me once on Tuesday night and again Wednesday morning. I've gone 14-15 hours without it happening so I hope this is it.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Both of those work fine on my iPad w/iOS5

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
im having some problems playing back video podcasts, and some random black screen glitch thats quite strange. but other than that things seem to be working so well for a beta...

notifications are not showing up on the lockscreen on my ipad 2.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Had the freeze / wake up issue, but can confirm that since removing the notifications for email on the iPAD 2 its not happened since

David

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Only real annoyance so far is that the WeatherChannelMAX app doesn't work; crashes at load. *shrug* Switched to WunderMap and all is good.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
What's the best way to try 5 but leave a path back to restoring your iPad to the state it was before installing 5?

Thinking to backup the existing 4.3.3 on my main computer then install the iTunes beta on another computer, and install iOS 5 as a new iPad, then would I then be able to restore back to 4.3.3 using the main computers iTunes backup if needed?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
os 5

since iPad 2 didn't have a jailbreak yet, i upgraded to os 5, overall its pretty cool. Much less buggy then the iPhone os5 (probably due to the processor) I'm happy with it. I can't wait for the 2nd and 3rd releases they'll probably address some core functionality issues. The ONLY issue that i have run into on my iPad 2 is that most video streaming apps like netflix and MLB don't work. This was the same on the 1st gen os 4 beta.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
My fault air video isn't working. Do I have to update the apple tv to beta software to get the mirroring to work?

Yes, you do have to update your AppleTV to beta software before mirroring will work. Mirroring works pretty dang good right now.

Be sure to read the Developer Forums over at Apple before attempting to update your AppleTV. You have to get the UDID of your AppleTV, and register it as a device in your developer account (or have someone register it for you), and then (and only then) can you install the beta software.

If you don't register your UDID first, your AppleTV will simply say "This needs to be activated before you can use it."

Also, read Apple's directions (linked right below the Apple TV developer software) carefully. Your Apple TV needs to be unplugged from power, and only connected to your computer via a MicroUSB cable for iTunes to recognize it.

It was a pain in the butt, but worth it to have AirPlay mirroring in my house.

------

Previously with the iPad and AppleTV, apps like HBO Go, etc, would not display any video on the AppleTV when connected via HDMI, and did not support AirPlay. I wonder if they will support mirroring once they are updated for iOS 5?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I find that terribly hard to believe as it would appear to be a application related problem with both Netflix and HBO.

Why would it matter what Ipad you had, it would either not work on 3G and work on only wireless, or not work at all on both.

Additionally, until I see more members confirming this I am doubting this persons claim that it is in fact working for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.