Relax!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I'm just wondering, what do you guys do when you are nervous?

I am going to Prom with this girl in a month and am already starting to feel nervous when I think about it. Haha... I know... :p

So what do you guys do to ya know... relax???

Might be interesting to see some of the responses.

I myself don't know how to relax most of the time. A lot of people make jokes about it, because no matter what I am doing, whether it be doing my homework or out on the baseball field, I never can relax. It's hurt me more than it has helped me, but that's just who I am.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I take really deep breaths and hold them for a few seconds and then exhale.

Look at Prom as a fun opportunity and experience. Relax man! She said yes. That's pretty awesome in its own right. Now just be the person who she said yes to.

Sometimes exercise has helped take my mind off of things as well.

I only have a few things that I do when I'm nervous, because well, quite frankly, I don't get nervous much.

Now if we were to talk about anxious or worrying, well, then we'd have something to talk about there. :p

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I know how it feels, you feel super nervous.....

might even sweat....

but hopefully sit down, next to an a/c and

relax.....

and drink some water and ice
    :p

it will be aight. :)

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

What's making it worse is my dad is expecting me to get laid or something that night... He basically thinks all I want is to have sex and that's what prom should be for. He told that to both my older brothers when they went to prom.

I don't want sex at 16 I already have my own problems I don't want to bring in a problem ridden child. :p

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Relaxing, especially for someone like you who "never can relax", doesn't sound like the way to avoid being nervous. (I'm the same way too, always preferring to be busy.)

I suggest the following:

* Plan to have fun on prom night the way YOU want. As long as you dress nicely and be yourself there's no reason to think things won't go just the way you want.

* Make specific plans for after the prom. Find out if others are going somewhere that you and your date would like to go too, and get in on the planning. Don't leave the plans up in the air.

* Keep busy for now doing other things. Rather than try to find quiet time, which you might spend worrying, fill your time with activities: sports, reading, MacRumors ;) or anything else.

* Hang out more with the girl who will be your date. The only real concern you should have is whether the two of you have similar expectations. The more you talk, the more you'll be in sync.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find it hard to relax too and I'm always thinking/working. One thing I like to do is just watch DVDs or stuff on my iPod.
    A couple of years ago when I went through an anxious period I watched Family Guy from start to finish, about 3-4 episodes a day. My most recent run has been Futurama and I literally just finished that last night! Not sure where to go next!

Power naps help if the mind is calm and the body tired. Or else you'll just lie there thinking about all the upcoming events and things to worry about! Not fun :D.

Relaxing games help too. I realised when I used to play Left4Dead (my last gaming addiction) that the game was actually pretty stressful in itself if you played with friends competitively. Now I'm playing Team Fortress 2 again since it's a lot more relaxing.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Exercise, good nutrition and sleep. If you have those nailed life becomes a lot easier. If you screw up on one of them, things start to fall apart. Smoking makes you more nervous, even though a lot of people think it's a relaxant (and it is short term). Coffee too, increases anxiety. Overloading carbs and sugars can makes you anxious as well.

Procrastinating is a killer too for increasing the load on your subconscious. If you put off important tasks, you'll increase your anxiety also. Bad weather, lots of positive ions floating around, also is hypothetised to bring you down, which may lead to anxiety.

Can't beat a good cardio session though for giving you a quick boost. Though, really, anxiety is about expectation - once you experience the same event numerous times, your expectations go down decreasing anxiety. So get out there and experience a lot of stuff, and you'll gradually come to the realisation that nothing is 'so bad'.

8. AngryApple macrumors 6502

That is bizarre. Most parents worry that their kids will have unprotected sex. Anyway, don't let your father of all people pressure you to have sex.

9. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

It depends on what I'm nervous about.
    If I'm nervous aout a job interview, I try to concentrate on what the interviewer is saying.
    If it is a public speaking situation, I try to be as casual as possible; once I get comfortable and try to get a chuckle or two out of the audience - it usually works.

I'm 31 years old, I don't get nervous around chicks anymore. That's probably why older men are able to date younger chicks. :p

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I smoke. However, I am quitting (or trying), so I'm not sure anymore. I have been really nervous recently as well. I just sort of internally deal with it.

Damn right you don't. Or at least, not until you are comftable with the idea. Tell your Dad. He will understand, he is just trying to be youthful himself and not be a bore.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I masturbate......frequently .........I have a stressful life

12. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I usually put on some ambient music (like Music for Airports by Brian Eno) and do some light work... Nothing demanding, nothing that needs to be done, just something to keep me busy (like reading MR, for example).

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

All these posts and not one of you reference the song "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood?

For shame.

14. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Just get Really drunk, you'll be fine!

;)

15. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I sit in a quiet room with nothing on. Having so many gadgets today along with TV, you don't realize how many things are "buzzing" around you. Have fun at prom!

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I seem to be the only one that doesn't really experience much of an endorphin buzz from exercise. I still do it, but mainly when I'm done I'm just relieved that it's over for another 24 hours :p

I used to have a mantra when I was nervous - thousands of people have done what I'm about to do, if they can do it, I can too.

It was the only thing that really calmed me down. My nerves are good though, the closer the anticipated event becomes, the calmer I become, because there's nothing I can do about it anymore :)

17. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

... then you're not doing it right.

18. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it normal?

to be nervous for prom a month ahead of time???

Seriously I can't stop thinking about it and am getting really nervous... haha... this is my first date that I've had in awhile. :p

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seriously? Are we still doing this with you?
    Prom is very exciting and remarkably you found a date and you're probably excited and nervous about that ... don't give her pinkeye or whatever ales you.

20. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you mean by that?

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seems a bit off to be nervous about prom at all. But that's just me.

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Didn't you have anxiety problems?

It's fine, perfectly normal.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I mean (no need for PMs) that you seem to have a host of issues that a logical adult should be concerned about and I for one wish you had at least one parent willing to talk to you about some of these things.

24. imran1234 macrumors newbie

ya...it is normal as this is your first visit

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I thought you were 'nervous about going to the prom in a month's time' a month ago?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=884579&highlight= <-- this thread

What happened, did the prom get delayed?