Release the iPad 12.9 2 already

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m getting seriously annoyed. I don’t have a 12.9 iPad yet and I think the 2 is going to be a far better success than the 1 which will also motivate more developers and many are waiting just like myself, but every time I’m on the fence and considering just pulling the trigger on a 1 there’s some “2 should be just around the corner” rumor quickly followed by “Actually, no it is not”. Toss in there is absolutely no historical data to even close to predicting a release.

I realize you don’t always have to have the latest and greatest but at some point it’s just dumb to pull the trigger on a current model because the new one should be soon and they will likely reduce the price on the current model. It seems like every 3 months I’m having this same fit…and no real news…and no new release…and each time feeling like then in another 3 months the 2 will definitely be out. And no.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It wouldn't be wise to pay full MSRP on a 12.9 iPad Pro now, but there have been periodic killer deals on them. $150 off is nothing to sneeze at.

The 2nd gen of the 12.9 Pro is NOT going to be a "far better success" than the current model IMO. There was nothing that was holding it back from being a far better success than it currently is. The simple fact is that a 13" tablet is NOT going to be a mainstream customer's choice.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's how technology works. It's evolving and even if you purchase the new 12.9 iPad in March (If Apple releases a new version), it's likely not going to be a major overhaul. I don't believe the 12.9 iPad Currently is anything significantly "Outdated."

And rumors are rumors. Only Apple can Confirm with validity.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Absolute truth.

OP, you should pick up a mint condition used 12.9 on on Swappa or Craigslist for 500-600 dollars. People can't give them away right now. Do that, and if the 2nd version of the 12.9 is mind bogglingly better, you can still sell the one you pick up now and recover most of what you spend on it.

I think the plummeting 2nd hand prices aren't a judgement on how good or bad the 12.9 is. They are simply the result of Apple overpricing the 12.9 to begin with, and the fact that as SRACER said, there isn't a huge demand for a 13 inch tablet among consumers.

5. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Where are these said deals!

I cant seem to find a "mint" or $150 off deal.

Be patient, I know. :)

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-ipad-pro-wifi

Starting as low as $529 USD.

If you HAVE to have a new one, you are going to pay significantly more.
    You can adjust the search criteria on Swappa to just show new, sealed units. Will still be significantly cheaper than buying from a store and no sales tax.

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I only want a black one and that $529 one is beat to hell it seems but you are completely right that used or a refurbished model is the way to go.

I need to keep an eye out for a 32GB/Black/Wifi only model in that price range if at all possible.

Thanks for the suggestion

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Of course.

Swappa is the best. I've bought and sold many items on there including phones, tablets, and MacBooks. Check it often as people are always listing and changing prices.

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

Your frustrations are based around your expectations being based on fantasy instead of reality.

The reality is:
    • Apple doesn't talk about upcoming products outside of announcements.
    • Until Apple sends out a press release saying they're having an event, you have no reasonable expectation for them to release a new product. That product doesn't exist until Tim (or someone Apple exec) steps out on stage and says "You can buy this for money."
    • The only gospel you can expect is when Apple announces a release date (and even then... AirPods...)
    This is the problem when we get so caught up in rumors. We think they're news - then when a product is release later than rumored or without rumored features we get angry at Apple for not fulfilling the fantasy we built up because someone who is NOT Apple promised us something.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'm ready to buy one too, but will wait for the first decent sale which means probably a 3-4 month wait -after- the product hits the street.

I can wait...my ipad2 still works fine and if the battery on the new iPad isn't to my liking eg. lasts longer, I may even wait longer to buy one.

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I would like to wait too but my 4 year old has taken my iPad Air 2 for hostage :)

12. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I have the 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9. I genuinely can't think of anything that could sway me away to upgrade after a year.

Ok maybe to throw money at apples large bank account.

After retina displays came the 12.9 was the ONLY different iPad with the larger screen, keyboard and pen. What more could be added? Mouse? Retina is sharp and Apple doesn't mess with more. Or radical changes. So what now?

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

hope for your sake it isn't delayed until the iphone release.

Honestly not sure how much better they can make the 12.9 again this year. it won't be thinned down like the rumoured 10.5 but i imagine it might be without a home button like the 10.5.

If the rumours of thinned bezel with no home button maybe it wouldn't make sense for apple to release them before the new iphone

14. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

While I do believe that current 12.9" is a monster by itself and WON'T be obsolete as 12.9" V2 comes out, the version 2 with 10nm A10X processor will have huge benefits over the current 16nm A9X chip in version 1.

Current iPhone 7 with A10 chip benchmarks are already faster than A9X 12.9" iPP, I can't imagine how the A10X will benchmark! Sad part is the yield rates at TSMC foundry will delay the version 2, we might see it come out in second half of 2017, perhaps even when iPhone 8 is announced.

15. AndyJoeshow macrumors newbie

As someone who just got the 12.9 in November, I couldn't be happier.

The thing is blazing fast, and has completely changed how I think about mobile computing. I haven't opened my laptop since the first week of December.

I'd say go for it. The pencil is used by me daily at work for taking notes during meetings and the keyboard has been great for heavy word processing.

I'll also note that I got all of these items on eBay. Great prices to be had. Do it!

16. digitalexplr macrumors regular

digitalexplr

Diginews is reporting the iPP2's may not be released 2rd qrtr.

17. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That would be kind of weird, since they would be selling devices with A10X chips and A11 chips as their flagships at the same time, which has never happened before. They'd probably rebrand the A10X as the A11X, but make it more powerful than initially planned, otherwise the A11 would be more powerful.

18. Ctrix65513, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017

Ctrix65513 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same position as OP wanting to upgrade to the Pro. I also sold my iPad Air recently (beginning to think prematurely but I'm happy with the sale price).

I've decided to purchase the current Pro if I can get one in the $500-$600 range. Seems it should be possible. I've got my alert set on Swappa and am following eBay closely.

Will I be disappointed when the new model is released? Maybe. Prices will fall on the first edition Pro but it's still going to be worth something. I can always sell it and apply it to the newly released model. Sure I will lose some money on the resale of the Pro, but will chalk it up to a usage fee and me being anxious. On the other hand, I might be completely satisfied and not even be interested in upgrading. Regardless of both scenarios, I have a device to use now as we don't even have a release date of the new Pro.

19. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

i bought the 12.9 when it came out. sold it last month as i need a more powerful tablet pc for when i work mobile. the ipad pro 12.9 was obsolete for me before the V2 even came out.

still though, i do miss the big ipad a bit. its the best light duty tablet i have tried. i hope the next model fixes all the issues i had (like buggy palm rejection, poor feeling stylus- i mean its ok but not as good as the hype- ok for how cheap it is, and only 4gb ram- come on no pro devices come so gimped in the hardware department).

20. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

4GB ram is not gimped on an iOS device. :confused:

21. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Finally got annoyed and picked up a refurbished 12.9 after selling my Air 2 for $300. Thanks to an Apple gift card I was gifted I'll be able to upgrade to the next version as well, this device is nice, but its weight, lesser screen, and lack of noticeable speed improvement (I honestly can't tell if this thing is faster than my Air 2 was, in fact I've noticed a little more lag in certain apps) are really causing this device to show its age.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    Think this is the one thing they don't need to bother upgrading.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well, it wouldn't be an Apple forum if we didn't have our daily dose of hyperbole. :D

23. bensisko macrumors 65816

You're the first person I've encountered that has complained about the stylus feeling "poor", buggy palm rejection, and 4 GB of RAM being too low (though I would agree it would be too low if it was running a desktop OS) on the iPad Pro.

I have head some comments say "it's not quite as good as a Wacom" but not "poor"...

24. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I said F it and pulled the trigger on a 256GB WIFI only model. Even if Apple still sells version 1 at a discount when version 2 comes out, it’s highly unlikely that they will be offering the 256GB drive and also deals on that drive size are scarce. I just wanted a drive that I can fit all my music and some movies or TV shows without having to worry about WIFI or cellular.

I think one of the few good things about the low adoption rate of the 12.9 is neither Apple or developers are going to make version 1 work or feel obsolete when version 2 comes out. No reason to antagonize the early adopters and when I said version 2 is going to be far more successful I mean in comparison to itself, not all iPads. We don’t have the numbers but I’m sure similar could be said about the Apple Watch. More people bought series 2 just because they wanted a more mature product but that by no means made series 1 obsolete.

Still getting used to the size of the 12.9 but overall I really like it and my usual apps seem to be formatted for it just fine, nothing really graphically obnoxious like the 2X button for iPhone only apps on the iPad. Only thing I wasn’t really expecting is to me now the 9.7 iPad feels like the oddball size, like anything the 12.9 is just too big for would be better served on the iPad Mini. As an example reading articles or books seems like a better fit on the Mini for me.

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't need a new IPP 12.9. What I need is an operating system for the IPP12.9 that actually makes sense and makes use of the full hardware of the IPP.