Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Fine, Fine, ,Fine, Fine, Fine... I am just buying Apple Tags because of this guerrilla marketing utilizing rumors of their release for a year. I want them now, your social experiment has been successful Mr. Cook. I neeeeeeeed them, take my money. And I have urge to buy some Mentos as well.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I hope these will have the ability to notify me if I am about to leave something behind. I'm not so interested in finding something I misplaced or lost, but have the ability to let me know if I get a certain distance from one, it will alert my iPhone. So when leaving a client office, if I left my bag behind, I'll know before I drive away.

Reactions: DrewInAZ

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Really ? how so?
My understanding is Apples privacy focus is protecting users data from corporations. Block 3rd parties such as apps from tracking a users exact location. Hence why the added the option to limit apps from using precise location on iOS 14.

Personal trackers allow a users to track their own items. The data isn’t shared with 3rd parties.

It’s also worth pointing out this is no different to the current find my, which these will use. So what you’re saying is the existing “find my” already violates Apple‘s privacy focus.

I feel some people will use these in unsavory ways to violate other peoples privacy and this will become mainstream controversial. Im surprised Apple are willing to take on the possible PR nightmare, say if the 6 o'clock new reports that an Apple device was used by Florida Man to track his wife to a motel and kill her and her lover.

Then we have weeks of talking head privacy debates on CNN and FOX, a Senator vows to draft a bill, a state passes a law to forbid their use, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: imnotthewalrus

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
MacRumors rookie mistake: £599 UK would be $650 - UK and Eu retail prices are always shown including VAT, US prices aren't so you need to knock 20% off before you start making comparisons ;)
£599 UK might indeed be around $650 if I take the 20% VAT off.

But I wasn't looking at it like that. Something that is shown to cost $599 without sales tax in the USA is likely to cost £599 in the UK. Yes, that would include VAT. Yes, the effective USA price might need to include, say, 10% sales tax making it $658 out of a USA billfold. The translation back was for the sake of seeing how much money £599 is in USD. How much, in dollars, I need to take out of my wallet.

Imagine I were regularly travelling between the UK and the USA. If I buy in the UK I pay around 90 dollars more than if I buy in the USA (assuming 10% sales tax). Doesn't really matter whether that difference is due to the VAT versus sales tax or some other reason. :)

meady100

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
I'd say the hassle of regularly having to keep on top of swapping/recharging batteries is more effort than actually searching for something that occasionally gets lost. Not to mention a lot more expensive.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Lots of people seem to think this is just a close-range tracker. It isn't - it uses a network of every modern iOS device out there to track the tags. So if you drop your keys in the park, all you need is someone with an iPhone to walk past them and you'll get an alert to tell you where they are.
Yeah I don’t get why people are so confused with this. It’s a pretty basic concept to understand. Oh well. Lots of tech illiterate people out there.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Note: R3k I’m not personally attacking you, just commenting on the world in general.

I feel some people will use these in unsavory ways to violate other peoples privacy and this will become mainstream controversial. Im surprised Apple are willing to take on the possible PR nightmare, say if the 6 o'clock new reports that an Apple device was used by Florida Man to track his wife to a motel and kill her and her lover.

Then we have weeks of talking head privacy debates on CNN and FOX, a Senator vows to draft a bill, a state passes a law to forbid their use, etc.

Sure, and how come tile hasn’t been an issue, or find my friends. Or just find my being able to track your wife because you use family sharing? Or just buying a $20 GPS tracker from eBay? Or how about just throwing in a $50 burner phone with a tracking app? Like seriously if someone is going to do that, they already can with a 100 easy existing options.

Someone will always use something for evil.
With that logic, we better stop making cars because someone could use it to run people over. Better stop making kitchen knives because that’s weapon. Better stop making computers too because you know... hackers and fraud. People need to grow up and stop being snowflakes.

Last edited:

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
You will be 100% incorrect.
The tech, UWB - U1 chip in the AirTags is ALREADY built into the iPhone 11 onwards.
Why would you need to track a phone when FIND MY is already built into iOS and also has UWB to provide the higher accuracy of tracking?

What you are saying is, I want to put a GPS tracker on my GPS tracker. - No logic in that.

EDIT: Typos, don't use Siri dictation. :)

PopSocket replacement that magnetically attaches. You can use it for other things, but that would be a bonus.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
PopSocket replacement that magnetically attaches. You can use it for other things, but that would be a bonus.
Sorry? I don’t understand. -not Siri ?
But really, what do you mean? I’m asking why would you want to attach a tracker to an iPhone via its new MagSafe (with the exception of reverse charge) when the phone already had find my capabilities via Find my and soon via the U1 chip. (Though that’s an assumption on my part). I believe once AirTags are out, at some point you will be able to locate your iPhone from another UWB capable device.

Reactions: polyphenol

Doc.Tauri

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I don't think that's how they will work. It's close range.
You're right, it doesn't work like that.

Tile was a great idea, but the problem is, it only worked well if everyone who came into proximity with the tag had the Tile app on their phones and it was running. Take that to the nth degree, and think every iPhone running iOS 13 or greater is now a beacon for the tag, and the fact that it's built into the OS so doesn't require the app to be launched. Now you can see where the AirTag potential really lies....

Reactions: polyphenol

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Sure, and how come tile hasn’t been an issue, or find my friends. Or just find my being able to track your wife because you use family sharing? Or just buying a $20 GPS tracker from eBay? Or how about just throwing in a $50 burner phone with a tracking app? Like seriously if someone is going to do that, they already can with a 100 easy existing options.

Someone will always use something for evil.
With that logic, we better stop making cars because someone could use it to run people over. Better stop making kitchen knives because that’s weapon. Better stop making computers too because you know... hackers and fraud. People need to grow up and stop being snowflakes.

You’re missing my point. I actually agree with everything you say. But Apple is higher profile than all those other options. As a result, there is bound to be discussion when things go awry. I’m surprised Apple want to move into this Market space when there is a very good chance they will face backlash over privacy. No matter if you or I think that is reasonable or not.

Reactions: insomniac86

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
With user replaceable batteries, except for the one in my wallet, I'm already in the Tile ecosystem and cant see myself upgrading. Unless there is some new feature we're all in the dark about.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
2 sizes- could be charged via the watch or phone magnets or even ones iPhone 12 perhaps

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
You’re missing my point. I actually agree with everything you say. But Apple is higher profile than all those other options. As a result, there is bound to be discussion when things go awry. I’m surprised Apple want to move into this Market space when there is a very good chance they will face backlash over privacy. No matter if you or I think that is reasonable or not.

You are saying there is such a thing as bad publicity? I also think you are over estimating the impact. Apple's products can already be abused. You think people aren't using the iPhone cameras to take pics they shouldn't? Yet the world doesn't focus on the product manufacturer but the crime.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007

Michigan already does

Reactions: R3k

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
What’s the need for this, I’ve never needed to find something I don’t loose anything lol
Though you might not lose anything, you do seem to found someone else’s “o”. Is for those people that want to keep their vowels safe from you. :)
Maybe small one is dumb, larger one has a speaker to enable a ping?
Could be a ping on the tracker isn’t needed? The ping is there because other solutions can put you within hearing distance and then you listen to the ping from there. If these use UWB, the phone could ping (or watch vibrate) as you’re getting closer to it.

minivini

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011

Apple's rumored AirTags Bluetooth tracking devices could launch imminently and will be available in two size options, based on new tweets from cryptic-but-reliable leaker L0vetodream.

airtags-mockup-4-blue-text.jpg

In typical enigmatic style, the leaker first tweeted this morning that a "big one" and a "small one" are "coming soon," but withheld what they were referring to. However that was followed an hour later with the tweet "tag TAG," implying a reference to Apple's upcoming Tile-like tracking pucks in two sizes.

This is the first time we've come across the suggestion that there will be AirTags in more than one size, and it's unclear what purpose two sizes would serve, but L0vetodream has provided accurate clues to upcoming Apple products in the past. The tracking devices are said to be for attaching to items like keys and wallets for tracking purposes, so you can find them using the Find My app.

Based on images found within an internal build of iOS 13, AirTags are small, circular white tags with an Apple logo on the front. They will likely be attached to items via adhesive or an attachment point like a ring, and there may be multiple ways to use them with different items.

Jon Prosser, who has a mixed track record when it comes to Apple, last month shared renders that he says are based on the actual design of the AirTags. The renders feature a flat white disc with no logo on the front and a silver backing with an Apple logo. Prosser said that the AirTags are a "tad larger than a bottle cap."

slack-imgs.com_.jpeg

There are rumors that AirTags feature a replaceable battery like a CR2032 coin battery, although other rumors suggest they'll have a rechargeable battery, which could potentially be charged on a MagSafe charger. The fact that there are conflicting rumors on this point could suggest Apple has been testing multiple AirTags prototypes – or different sizes.

AirTags are rumored to be more accurate than your average Bluetooth item tracker like Tile because they're said to take advantage of Ultra Wideband technology, which basically offers more accurate indoor positioning. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the use of an Ultra Wideband chip in AirTags will "enhance the user experience of iOS's 'find' and augment reality (AR) applications by offering measurement functions in the short distance."

There are still a lot of details that aren't known about the AirTags, so we may need to wait for launch to learn more about them. Rumors have suggested that Apple may be planning to hold a third fall event on November 17, which is said to be focused on Apple Silicon Macs, but could also see the debut of AirTags.

For everything we know about AirTags, check out our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Reliable Leaker Suggests AirTags 'Coming Soon' in Two Different Sizes
Will be adding one of these to each of our three Apple TV remotes...

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Perhaps the large one is rechargeable battery? And the smaller one being the watch battery? Leaks have confirmed both.
Something like that.
But a replaceable watch battery is still very big and would make the "small" one still rather large.

I think the large one will have the replaceable battery, and the small one will be incredibly small with a tiny rechargeable battery. Smaller than even AirPods battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.