Reliable way to unlock Tmobile 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PM-Performance, Jan 6, 2014.

1. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Heres the skinny,

My stepdaughters retarded/cheap father got her a 5S, but on the wrong carrier.
    Brand new in the box. Found out it was for Tmobile from Apple.
    Called Tmobile and got the run around and after they promised to unlock later said it needed to be on their network for 40 days first which is not an option.

I look at it as I have 3 options now:
    1. I can spend a few bucks to unlock it if I can find a reliable service (it is gold like she really wanted so I would prefer this)
    2. Sell it on CL and deal with the rifraff and try to make enough to get her one on my carrier (ATT) with a partial upgrade
    3. Sell to Gazelle and be $100 short of getting what I need for a partial from ATT for a new one.

Any suggestions on how to preferably unlock or a place to get better than Gazelle pricing for a brand new never activated phone?

2. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

option 4..

go to apple and bring the phone and ask for a swap. If its brand new and in box they will do it. No questions asked as long as you have a receipt.

3. PM-Performance thread starter macrumors 6502

Well not that simple that would be a great option.

Here is more of the scenario.
    His GF works at a pawn shop so he got it from there. I am thinking someone got it under their full upgrade for cheap/free and then sold it immediately to the pawnshop for a profit while still in the original wrapping.

She unwrapped it sat night to activate it and ran into this problem. We did not know this until he informed us of this. I thought he was really generous and bought her a non contract phone.
    I was sadly dissapointed to say the least and now trying to fix the problem without putting out too much money to fix the problem.

I checked with apple and is deff a legit unit and still has quite a bit of warranty left and is locked on Tmobile network as per Apple directly.
    Tmobile probably wont unlock it because they essentially didnt make any money off it and the person probably didnt pay their bill?
    I can only assume this from the area it came from.

4. PM-Performance thread starter macrumors 6502

have you used this service before to verify its legitness?

5. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

If it is sold directly from apple it is unlocked, I am using my tmobile model on cincinnati bell now. If it was purchased from tmobile originally it is unlocked and you have to go through the procedures mentioned above

6. PM-Performance thread starter macrumors 6502

It is deff locked.
    Apple confirmed it is locked as well as ATT sims stating not valid on it.
    I dont mind trying an unlock service as long as they work.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. I unlocked a couple ATT iPhones through them.

8. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Apple don't sell T-Mobile phones, they sell unlocked ones to use on T-Mobile's network.

9. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

get the t-mobile plan for $30 a month and unlock it after the 40 days is up. Thats what I would do..

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

True. But t mobile also sells iPhones and if you finance it they could be locked to ensure full payment

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

If the Tmobile phone was bought from Apple it should have been unlocked. Considering it wasn't unlocked means it was bought from a store not called the Apple store...likely a Tmobile retail store.

Tmobile won't unlock it unless you have 40 days of postpaid service.

Why pay $135 for an unlock?

Just do 2 months of regular service for $50 a pop at least you can use the phone.

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I dunno, a phone from a pawn shop probably means someone got it on EIP and pawned it as soon as they got it.

I'd be really nervous about that phone randomly getting blocked for non-payment :(

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Paying $35 for not having to wait 40 days. Time is money.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Paying $135 to unlock is absolutely silly. Just sell the T-Mobile one and use the money to help buy an AT&T one.

15. BruiserB macrumors 65816

40 days prepaid works as well...I did it with the iPhone 5 I bought on the day T-mobile launched. But yea, I agree with those who say to just ride out 40 days with T-mobile, then move to ATT later if you really want to. You can port the number if you are worried about keeping the same phone number.

16. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Not $35, but $135. You missed a digit...

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Or it is stolen.

18. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Waiting 40 days will cost him $100 ($50 / month with TMO). Not waiting will cost $135 = $35 difference.

19. 617aircav Suspended

Very strange that someone would sell a brand new 5s to a pawn shop, which don't offer good prices. I would be concerned with the phone being blocked by the carrier due to the customers non payment.

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

21. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Sorry. Didn't realize you were doing that math. Personally, i'd do the $30 for 100 minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data plan instead. Then it's only $60 for the two months. Savings of $75.

22. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Or you can sell it to ecycle Best. They pay top dollar for devices for recycling. I'm tryinf them out right now.

23. PM-Performance thread starter macrumors 6502

It's clean.
    I checked the eimei as well as talked to apple.
    Someone probably got it on full discount and then immediately sold it to get more cash.
    I don't care how it worked but I'm sure both apple and tmobile would have told me it was stolen by now as well as Att when I went to trade it in

Nonetheless, I may just gazelle it and spend the extra $100 to get her a 5s on Att with partial.
    It will be cheaper that way . Just need to wait a week or two until they pay me

I'm not trying to create service with a bad quality carrier just to use the phone. I want to unlock to use on my network or sell and get the art equivelant
    I do t trust tmobile to reqlly unlock it.
    They already gave me 4 diff stories as well as went back on their promise of crediting etf's in the past.
    I refuse to do business with them as well as sprint

24. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Find another pawn shop with one on the correct network, then pay a small amount extra for the correct one. Or tell your stepdaughters dad to sort the problem, why should you have the stress?!