Remaining iPad Competitors

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple..., Aug 18, 2011.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Who's really left? With HP announcing the death of WebOS, RIM not fairing very well, and Android tablets not catching steam, who else is there? :confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Truth Is

Nothing, but Android is far from dead, it's just two years behind the development curve. If Apple retain this large margin, then Android may vanish, but I doubt it.

Android developers are working flat out, and I think it's going to be difficult for Apple to retain it's current lead.

It's the "Killer App" or device that swings it.....Hence more people develop for Apple products than for other platforms.

Give it a year or so, after iPhone 5 iPad 3 etc. then we may know more. I can't think of any real MAJOR upgrades to the iPhone 5 (yes I have inside knowledge) apart from some extra bling and function.

The same applies to the iPad. we wil get tabbed browsing and a number of other new features, but perhaps THE most telling development is the "Sync without iTunes" function.

This may well increase market share for Apple when people put off by the iTunes controls my device attitude decide to take the plunge.

Time of course will tell.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It Google make it right and don't screw it up with Motorola and the Xoom basics this is the only one left, obvious.
    Not sure what MS is cooking for us ... but right now for the next year we can call the game Monopoly.
    WebOS will not make it without HW from HP. Only some patents are left.

I believe that the next innovations are mainly software driven; the hardware with some spec bumps here and there is ok for a portable device. Of course NFC, LTE and retina have to come to iPad; but that's nothing new to us and we can expect that for the next one cycle (or two cycle with respect to LTE).

With what we see right now from iCloud I think Apple can and will do better. But they have done their homework better then all others.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If Ice Cream Sandwich fails to deliver on it's promise to develop once, play on all Android devices equally, then all those Android-based tablets could be in trouble.

But from the little I have played with Android devices, the Transformer was the best of the bunch.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I read this and stopped reading your post, totally discredits the whole thing.

6. saving107, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This image was posted by @markgurman earlier today, and it made me think "who is left?"

[​IMG]

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In Don't See Why

Just because I know things, it doesn't make me right. I have no idea for example what exactly is going on in the Android side of things, and most of the comments I have posted here can be found in men other places on the web, and in the printed media.

I think my opinion is perfectly valid.

8. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Who's left? Them. They maybe crossed out, but there still there. I think if they would partner up together, they could create a really great device. For now, this partnering thing and competition thing doesn't seem to be working out. At this rate, it would seem like it would be Microsoft vs. Apple in the last battle...

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Like I Said

It just takes the killer device....Apple have it all now, but they don't employ every single clever design technician in the world.

I love Apple, doubt anything would ever change my mind, but I have nothing against Android per se. The only platform I want nothing to do with is Windows, or Windows mobile.

If a clever design emerges on the Android platform, who knows?

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Right now it seems almost impossible to think of anyone being a real competitor to the iPad. HP announced that they wanted to be second best in the market... which, for a company as huge as HP to even admit this shows the extent of the problem for other companies.

I think Web OS is a fantastic OS, and was even considering the Pre 3 as my next phone, obviously not now. And Android is constantly evolving and improving. Plus the app situation over there is getting better.

I think a real competitor is either going to come from somebody who can merge one of these OS's, with a genuinely desirable piece of hardware. And that’s the key, I see a lot of things that android and Web OS do better than iOS, but the hardware is never as clean and beautiful as Apple's. It never makes me want to slap down £500 for it.

Yeah, part of that is going on the OS, but a big chunk of that money is going on a piece of hardware that is going to be in your home. My girlfriend is a good example of this.... I wanted a Sony HDTV that was top of the line in everything. However, she didn't like the feet the TV had underneath it. It didn't go with the room, so we had to find one that had the right looks.

(I know, but anybody who lives with their girlfriend will understand this, and it's not worth getting something she hates, because I won't hear the end of it)

Anyway, I’m not saying people get an iPad to go with the decor of their house, but the fact that it's sleek, sexy and minimalist doesn't hurt.

Or it’s going to come from somebody like Amazon, who can offer a more complete package, in terms of ecosystems that are already in place. Kindle, MP3 downloads, movie and TV show rentals, app store.... etc.

If they can nail all that and wrap it in a desirable package at a good price point, there is a real possibility that they could become competitive with the iPad.

And then there's Microsoft who are yet to show their hand, but from what we've seen of Windows 8, and praise from critics of Windows Phone 7, the writings on the wall that they could deliver something worth thinking about too.

The next couple of years are looking to be exciting for this market.

11. Marli macrumors regular

I hope Android has a surge. iOS is pretty ordinary and needs a hurry up to drag it's self out of the 80s rut it's in.

12. foiden macrumors 6502a

What they need are four things.

1. A great OS. (which a couple have)
    2. Hardware created to run said OS flawlessly. Right now, they have to do like PCs do. Throw a bunch of extra hardware well past the iOS devices just to make sure all parts of said OS can compete with iOS on all counts. (Again falls into the issues of hardware and software not made specifically for each other)
    3. A good surge of must-needed Apps for the average non-tech-savvy guy.
    4. A marketing campaign that targets the casuals, Not the computer wizards.

The biggest mistake is the audacity to think that selling a device to computer geeks is going to outsell devices made to sell to the non-computer geeks. The big market Apple captured are the large vast amounts of people who'd never grace this site. They are the people who only want a machine to help them do regular tasks they want without even having to learn how to use a computer or even know much about file systems. And do it well.

Frankly, if you're tech savvy, you are that minor small group out of the total iOS users. The group that isn't where the big money is. It's in the same aspect in how back in the 80s, games were made for the geeks, the kids who took on the challenges of arcade gaming. But they are vastly outnumbered by casual gamers and that's where the big money is. So because of that big money, the industry swept that way.

Some are starting to change their tune to try to sell to casuals in commercials, but they spent too much time and money on the tech guys who love their hardware stats (hardware stats that only make sense in an industry when all those pieces of hardware are running the same operating systems). And during that whole time, Apple was ramping a huge lead. Things aren't insurmountable, just a tougher climb than before.

13. radiogoober, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I dunno man! BestBuy is now giving away a free Galaxy Tab if you buy a Samsung TV. Sounds like sales aren't very good!

http://gizmodo.com/5832500/best-buys-slipping-a-galaxy-tab-in-your-pocket-when-you-buy-a-samsung-tv

No you don't.

14. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Who is left? Amazon.

OK, so they haven't even started the true tablet race. Looks to me like they are watching the fallout to see what is left standing, then will bring out a Kindle-ish tablet that embarasses even Apple. They are a company that can put all the infrastructure behind their product, and you can see them gathering their cloud services for a storm. JMHP (just my humble prediction).

16. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Android tablets are fugly. I think Microsoft is really the only one left. Windows 8 anyone?

17. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Just your very unlikely prediction ;)

Amazons Kindle was great. I would never put any money on the idea that Amazon is going to create a tablet that rocks the iPads world. Amazon has infrastructure, but their cloud stuff sucks horrible. Their music download service is among the worst things I've ever used in tech.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is certainly true. And there are tens of thousands of skilled engineers and software developers working at various Apple competitors.

But I see at least two factors working against the Apple competitors:

First: They are all playing catchup. By simply trying to match the iPad competitors are allowing Apple to maintain the inittiative.

This has several ramifications. To start with, it allows Apple to strategically plan which components it needs to lock up supplies on, e.g. Touchscreen display panels; batteries; memory. If Motorola goes shopping for these things a year after Apple has, they are going to pay higher prices, from lesser suppliers, with more uncertain results.

It also allows Apple to set the standard by which other tablets are compared. Competitors may be able to differentiate themselves by adding features, but this has the effect of further fragmenting the platform.

Secondly, I believe Apple has created - over a period of literally decades - a culture that values excellence in every aspect of the device, from the box the product comes packed in, to the industrial design of the product, to the software it runs, and the "ecosystem" it works in. No single engineer or product planner, no matter how talented or visionary, can possibly re-create anything like this.

Hewlett-Packard's "throwing in the towel" is a tacit aknowledgement of how far behind the rest of the industry is. To be fair, HP is suffering as a result of the relentless "cost-cutting" regime of the previous CEO. But the fact that such a well-managed company, with a storied history in Silicon Valley, an excellent reputation and brand name among consumers, and the employer of some of the best brains in the industry has quit really is the "writing on the wall" for serious iPad competition.

I'm quite sure Samsung, Asus, and Motorola (now) will continue to provide Tablet devices. But they'll end up being bought by the marginalia: Rabid Apple-Haters; Techno Geeks; and bargain-bin trolling cheapskates. But for the computer-buying public, there will be one name to consider, and one name only: the Apple iPad.

19. erawsd macrumors 6502

I'd say Windows 8 is the only real competitor left.

It is also the most interesting since they are the only ones not trying to do a "me too" product. Instead of taking a phone OS and stretching it to fit a tablet, MS is going to squeeze in it's desktop OS. As a result it's bringing some new ideas to the tablet space.

20. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

What silliness. The most recently introduced tablet with miniscule sales is discontinued and the question is "What's left?" The answer is every other tablet manufacturer including those who haven't yet entered the market.

Android tablet sales will continue to grow, especially as more specialized devices are introduced for niche markets (some of which are very large niches.) Microsoft may get its act together with a true mobile OS that integrates well with laptop/desktop Windows 8.

Apple will almost certainly continue to dominate the mass consumer tablet market for the foreseeable future. But manufacturers like Lenovo will leverage a customer base of corporate purchasers who buy devices by the truckload (without the need for brick and mortar stores in malls) and must integrate devices with existing corporate networks and security.

21. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

It was supposed to be "the one". That didn't happen. I expect RIM to kick the bucket next. There will always be Android tablets, but I really cannot see them making a major impact - at least not the same as it did to the smartphone market. Windows 8 doesn't look severely promising either. :(

22. JeepGuy macrumors regular

If they can launch it with MS office, outlook and one note, it may have a chance in the corporate world, but they are only software, they have no hardware.

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Windows 8 tablets, if MS can resist screwing the OS up, have the best potential to become a complete replacement for netbook/notebook PCs. Why? They should have the ability to support printer/scanner drivers from all manufacturers, and any bluetooth or USB keyboard/mouse you might want to occasionally use to get some real work done. None of the tablets so far are ergonomic (easy/comfortable/painless to hold) and all will need to look into solving that issue. Glare from overhead sources is a problem with tablets just because of how they are held. That's a problem that needs to be solved as well.

Then the industry needs a smart monitor. A nice desktop monitor that will wirelessly serve as the video output from your tablet or phone. All tablets suffer from relative small screens compared to your desktop PC, and although that small size is great when you're carrying them around, it loses out to any desktop PC when you're not. I'd like to have a tablet with me when on a bus/train/plane or just away from my desk, which instantly transfers its UI and controls to the big monitor on my desk. No cables desired/required. I think we should end up with only one PC, but that it can play to any screen/control set that makes sense for where we are.

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I personally think the tablet market is set ... with Apple at the top and the rest playing for #2. It'll play very much like the mp3 market.

However, if a competitor tablet were to make it out of the rubble, I'd have to say it would be Amazon. Amazon can actually make and market a tablet that is different from the iPad and have success. I would expect a Kindle+ to be something different, not just an iPad clone.

The other potential competitor may be a Facebook tablet. More and more, Facebook is THE internet destination for regular people. If FB took Android and forked it so that their tablet was basically a FB OS, that might work.

The common theme here is that a competitor device would have a primary function that is not the main feature of the iPad. The Kindle would be an eReader/multimedia device. The FBtablet would be a FB portal device.

25. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Personally, I'd like to see Google buy up all those HP tablets and re-brand them Android.