Remember all those iPhone apologists who "Didn't want a larger screen"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Sep 12, 2014.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Early numbers are indicating that the iPhone 6 Plus was the first to sell through pre-orders. For years iPhone users swore up one side and down the other that they didn't want a larger screen, the iPhone screen was perfect. Boy did that change quickly. I just find it amusing to see how quickly people change their tune when Apple makes something official.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Could be the 6+ had the least number of units 'in stock'. Just playing devils advocate. :)

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

That may be just because there were far fewer 6+s available to begin with. The 6 will probably still outsell the 6+

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

How do you know those who said they didn't want a big phone are exactly the same ones who are getting the 6 plus?

5. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The rumors of supply constraints for the 6 Plus support this theory.

I, for one, am still unconvinced to even get a 4.7" model. Maybe it will feel okay once I hold one, but the paper mockups I've tried just feel way too big. I may end up with a new 64GB 5S (old stock, since it's been discontinued).

6. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

And there were many of us who didn't want a bigger phone that wasn't an iphone.

7. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

It's likely that the ones who bought the 6+ were NOT the ones claiming that they didn't want a large screen. I don't think EVERY iPhone user was saying they didn't want a big screen. I went with the 6. Its a little larger, but not much.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes because of limited supply. Those who didn't want a larger screen got the iPhone 6, the smallest of the latest models.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Could be right. Time will tell..

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I would have actually liked a 4.3" iPhone 6. But I'll settle for 4.7". The 4" is a little smallish and the 4.7" may be a tad too large.

11. Downs2011 macrumors regular

It just made a lot of people sleep better at night until Apple would finally step up with a larger screen. It wasn't that the smaller screen wasn't good enough. It's just that we use the phones for so much more than just making phone calls now that the larger display can be beneficial in so many ways.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Also, Apple isn't releasing a new 4" iPhone. Some people will get the larger phone because they don't have a choice any more.

13. SaltedV8 macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken it was Steve jobs himself that tried to justify the iPhones refusal to offer a bigger screen by saying that he didn't think their customer wanted the bigger screen. And I remember wondering who he was talking with to get that kind of info. I was really considering leaving the iPhone if the screen size wasnt brought up to speed with the rest of the industry because it is a joke to me that it took this long.

14. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I was at VZW this morning and they have cases in stock and it was helpful to see them and get a better idea of what a 4.7" iPhone would be like. I think people who get the iPhone 6 plus are in for a shock at how large is really is going to be. The 4.7" seems bigger because of the resolution and the way Apple stretches the screen out. The 4.7" feels more like a 5". The iPhone 6 Plus is a monster. First phone I've seen that makes the Note 3 look small.

15. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

I was one of the "I don't want that big of a phone" people.

Then I saw the announcement. Made a cardboard mock-up of the dimensions and was impressed at how it felt. Didn't feel that big.

So, anywho, Mr "didn't want a larger screen" is expecting his iP6+128GB to arrive next Friday.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I went from an ip5 to a Galaxy Note 3 purely for the phablet experience. That was great....but Android was definitely a downgrade for my use cases. But after carrying that thing for a year, recently "downgrading" back to my 5 a few weeks back I'm thrilled to be finally upgrading from a note 3 to a ip6 even at "only" 4.7"

17. Jman13 macrumors 68000

There are a lot of people who don't want a bigger screen. (but there are quite a lot who want enormous screens)

I was one of the people who didn't really want anything larger than 4". Then I changed my mind over the past two years. Want to know what really changed my mind? The Moto X. I never owned one, but it was the first phone I saw in the store with a larger screen (more than 4.5") that felt relatively small. I was really amazed by how much the experience of a large screen could be improved by slimming down the device and bezels.

See, when most of these people were complaining, myself included, 4.3" was a huge screen, and it was found on phones like the EVO 4G, which WAS a flippin' monster of a phone. It was nearly DOUBLE the thickness of the iPhone 6, with big bezels and buttons, and it felt like a brick. In fact, it's essentially the same weight as the iPhone 6+, but with a screen 1.2" smaller.

However, over the past few years, the technology has enabled larger screens in slimmer and more compact devices. After playing around with some, and using my iPhone for more and more web browsing, I began wanting a larger screen.

For me, 4.7-4.8" is about ideal (at this time). It's small enough that I can still do most things one handed, but large enough to provide a nice bigger view. The 6+ is just too big for me right now, and it's the reason I ordered the 6, even though I'd have liked the larger battery and OIS. (the 1080p screen doesn't matter much to me, honestly).

I could see myself going to 5" if the bezels are shrunk properly, but I don't see enjoying much larger than that for a daily carry phone, though people's tastes change over time.

When my 6 case came today, I was very glad I didn't go for the 6+. The 6 is definitely a big phone anyway, and about at my limit for comfort.

18. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Or that is all the Android users who only use android because of the bigger screens. most of the people I know that have Samsung phones have it primarily because of the bigger screen. Maybe these are the people rushing to buy the iPhone 6+. ;-)

19. smokechaser macrumors regular

smokechaser

I have no interest in a large screen. Actually I wish they would have kept it the same size as the 5S.

Also the 6+ only sold out quickly because they had only 10 of them in stock.

20. Bag302 macrumors regular

I really wanted the 5.5, but I think Apple did a poor job with the 6+. It has way too much bezel.

There's a chance I'm wrong since I haven't seen it in person.

The height, weight and potential lag from image down-scaling scared me enough to order the 4.7" phone.

21. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

No you weren't. Apple retail stores do not even receive their shipments until 11pm the night before it goes on sale. I know this because I've worked 3 iPhone launches.

I call bs.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

23. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Wrong...I did not change my mind, and said back then, I didn't want a 5 inch iPhone and would prefer maybe a 4.5 incher that keeps the same size as the iPhone 5S, but with a smaller bezel.

I would not buy a 5.5 incher even today. Just because the pre-order sold out only means that Apple had just so many of them, and we don't know how many they were at this time. And we may not know how many of them will be returned to exchange for the 4.7 inch after the customer holds them for a bit.

24. rritterson macrumors 6502

Cases. He's talking about phone cases.

25. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

This. I've been wanting a larger screen phone now for a while, but I didn't want to give up iOS just to get it. Now I don't have to.