*removed*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjheys, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rjheys, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't hurt your battery to leave it plugged in most of the time, as long as you follow Apple's recommendations on periodic calibrations. It stops charging when the battery is fully charged, even if it's still plugged in.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You should leave your MBP plugged in whenever you can to preserve your battery, also when plugged in the MBP sometimes uses the battery for power as it sometimes needs more power than the wall socket can provide.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is absolutely false.

5. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

no its not.
    many reputable websites have done tests with the battery removed and got lower results.

6. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I tell people who use their macbook pro as a desktop replacement to regularly unplug the unit and just do work with it on battery mode. Let the battery completely drain itself until you get the warning and plug the power cord back in. I don't this very often as I run down my battery from just going around unplugged most of the day, but that's my advice.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MBP never uses more power than is provided by the power adapter. Show one credible source that proves otherwise.
    That's not a bad idea, but shouldn't be used without regular true calibration.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Very true. Running the laptop without the battery inside will cripple your CPU.

Apple recommend to have the laptop plugged in AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, and not to fully discharge your battery on a daily or weekly basis, but rather to do the calibration about once a month.

9. alexboy45 macrumors regular

Off apple website
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Standard Maintenance
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple proves otherwise, read their page about batteries, the laptop sometimes needs more power than the socket can provide and therefore takes power at these times from the battery:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

Please dont lie to people or give them bad advice if you dont know what your talking about because we're here to help people and you could be causing them more problems.

More Info:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-macbook-pro-battery-benchmarks,6643.html

11. cathyy macrumors 6502a

What he said.

Also, you shouldn't take out your battery for one very important reason: Your CPU downclocks a lot with the battery taken out. This is because Apple is afraid that the notebook may require more power than what can be provided, causing the computer to shut down.

Another reason why you shouldn't take it out is because it's very very easy to knock out the power cable. I've accidently knocked it out several times while trying to take my battery out.

12. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

got any info/link to corroborate this? i'm not questioning your advice, just would like to see some solid evidence to support the claim as i use my 17MBP as my desktop machine now. and am still none the wiser to leave it plugin all the time, or plug and unplug i.e power up 100%, drain down and repeat

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Read the links in my post. Read the battery section in the apple support site, ask any mod here.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can actually short one of the battery terminals and trip the computer into thinking a battery is attached and you can still run it at full speed.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

haha i actually never knew that, isnt it dangerous?

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yep because if the power cable is pulled or even wiggled the wrong way in the magsafe port, then...well...its bad. It's just like unplugging a desktop computer from the wall while its on.

17. sunshinm macrumors newbie

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When you remove the battery, the MacBook Pro will run at a lower clock rate. That is because it is otherwise possible for a MacBook Pro to use more power than the power adapter provides for a short time (like powering up the hard drive while writing to a DVD while receiving things through wireless and bluetooth and ethernet at the same time with two USB items pulling the maximum amount of power while running two CPUs at full speed).

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Every time you drain it down and recharge, one of your 400 or so charges are gone for nothing. If you do this once every day, your battery is toast in about a years time. Apple's recommendation is to keep it plugged in, except that you should discharge the battery completely once a month. Which would take 30 years until your 400 charges are gone.

20. cathyy macrumors 6502a

You should drain it down and recharge (calibrate) it at least once a month.

21. danzumbiel macrumors newbie

Two Pronged Power Cord

I've heard using a Portable Power Adapter weaker than 85W will hurt my MacBook Pro battery. Is the same true of 2-pronged extension cords that actually go into the wall (as opposed to 3-pronged that come with the computer) even though they fit the Apple 85W Portable Power Adapter?

22. NZed, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

not true

Attached Files:

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Hey battery expert guy - GG or GJ...

Why does my MBP tell me to plug in my adapter before doing software updates? Just curious!

24. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Although im not GGJStudios,
    i think that because your MBP doesnt know how long will it take to download updates since not all internet has the same speed...

somebody's probably on dial up

25. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom