Removing Mac Pro Handles

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I've got a desk that has a 16 + 7/8" tall space for a computer (that's 42.75 cm for the rest of the world). I want to fit a mac pro in there.

For Mac Pro owners:
What is the height of your mac pro without the handles?

For handypeople:
What kind of tools would I need for this job? I would be willing to bring it to someone with the tools and knowhow, but I would still like to know what you believe to be the best route to achieving a functional and aesthetically pleasing handle chop.

A couple of people have done it, but there are really no step-by-step guides, or detailed pictures.
See here and here.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Step by step instructions? For what?

Take one of these and simply cut them of.

A hand metal saw as can be seen in the first link you provided should do the job as well.
Just make sure you file the edges.

Edit:
Almost forgot, the hight without bottom and top handles is 44cm.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Step by step instructions? For what?

Take one of these and simply cut them of.

A hand metal saw as can be seen in the first link you provided should do the job as well.
Just make sure you file the edges.

Edit:
Thanks for measuring. I'm glad it will fit.

I've got no handyperson skills, but I should be able to find someone with a saw and a file. Thinking about doing this makes me nervous, but I suppose it must be done.

There are no vents on the bottom, so cooling shouldn't be an issue -- right?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
well if your desk can fit a computer that's 42.75 cm tall, and the height of the mac pro minus the top and bottom handles is 44cm... my math says it still won't fit.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Only the WiFi aerials are on the underside, under the plastic information sticker.

Though as bozz2006 says it's still going to be too tall.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I've got a desk that has a 16 + 7/8" tall space for a computer (that's 42.75 cm for the rest of the world). I want to fit a mac pro in there.

For Mac Pro owners:
What is the height of your mac pro without the handles?
Edit:
Thanks for measuring. I'm glad it will fit.
Hold up there, Speedy. You may want to re-examine your math. (Last I knew, a 44cm object would not fit in a 42.75cm space.)

EDIT: bozz2006 beat me to it. (/shakes tiny fist)

cutterman

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
If you are insistent on cutting the handles off I would suggest using a hand-powered hacksaw. The vibrations from a power saw may damage delicate electronics. Also be sure the filings dont get inside.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Are you saying the desk cost more than the Mac Pro?
No. I'm say the desk is more important than the mac pro. Plus I'm using this for audio recording, so it needs to be enclosed. I don't want fan noise in my tracks.

Anyways... it'll fit even though the mac pro is 1.25 cm too tall. There is a lip at the front of the opening. The opening is 42.75 cm from the bottom to the lip, but once you get inside the lip, the inside space is a few cm taller. Hard to explain, but I think I can make it work.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
If you are insistent on cutting the handles off I would suggest using a hand-powered hacksaw. The vibrations from a power saw may damage delicate electronics. Also be sure the filings dont get inside.
I'll certainly cover all of the holes to make sure nothing gets inside. Thank you.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I'm using this for audio recording, so it needs to be enclosed. I don't want fan noise in my tracks.
Will the front and rear be open to allow for cool air to enter and hot air to exit the machine respectively?
Or does the desk have a built in system to keep the equipment cool like the ones designed for rack mounted equipment?

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
No. I'm say the desk is more important than the mac pro. Plus I'm using this for audio recording, so it needs to be enclosed. I don't want fan noise in my tracks.

Anyways... it'll fit even though the mac pro is 1.25 cm too tall. There is a lip at the front of the opening. The opening is 42.75 cm from the bottom to the lip, but once you get inside the lip, the inside space is a few cm taller. Hard to explain, but I think I can make it work.
You're Mac Pro will roast when enclosed and eventually die. Unless it's a ventilated space, this is a bad idea. For audio recording, I can't recommend anything better than to just get some long monitor and usb cables and run your tower from another room or closet space.

Keep in mind, inside a desk the fans on the Mac Pro will be louder because they will be working harder to cool it. You need to rethink your strategy here.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Will the front and rear be open to allow for cool air to enter and hot air to exit the machine respectively?
Or does the desk have a built in system to keep the equipment cool like the ones designed for rack mounted equipment?
There are small holes in the back. I put my macbook in there now, and it gets hot -- but the fan noise is largely cut out.

The desk has no built-in cooling. I am worried about the noise, as I will be recording with ribbon mics (figure 8) relatively close to the computer, so there will not be much isolation.

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
There are small holes in the back. I put my macbook in there now, and it gets hot -- but the fan noise is largely cut out.

The desk has no built-in cooling. I am worried about the noise, as I will be recording with ribbon mics (figure 8) relatively close to the computer, so there will not be much isolation.
Like mentioned above, if you are that worried about noise, your best bet is to purchase longer cables and put your Mac Pro in a closet or another room.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK

This seems like a very bad idea to me, the Mac Pro will produce far more heat than the MacBook and it needs to have a supply of cool air to the front. If the only air vents are some small holes in the back I can't see it lasting that long.
It will likely be louder as well, due to increased fan speeds.

Long cables or a properly cooled cabinet of the right size would be best.