Rep system

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ChrisGonzales90, Jun 26, 2010.

?

Should MacRumors get a rep system?

1. Yes. Screw limits.

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Yes, but with the limits you described. (add your own if you have any)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Even with limits, no way.

36 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I'm not sure if vBulletin has an add on or what not but a rep system may be a nice addition.

The rep system will be based on someones posts. If you like the post, you give them a thumbs up or a +. Don't like the post give them a thumbs down or a -.

Of course there is the concern of it being abused. This is when you set a limit. Only x amount of rep points maybe given in, lets say 10 or 15 minutes.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Won't happen. Always turns into a competition.

3. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I know. Mostly by those 13 or 14 year olds here. But we shouldn't let their immaturity ruin things. Besides didn't you read the part of the limit.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This has already been discussed before on this forum. Most don’t seem to like it.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd only support such a system if there was the ability to opt out of it. But really, it's not a great idea because it will most likely turn into a popularity contest.

6. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Maybe. Another way is to not click on them.

any other ideas. (and dont say "lets not have it")

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No/ People will be giving out negative rep because they disagree with a perfectly valid opinion.

Don't agree with someone's political positions in PRSI? Negative rep. Don't agree with someone who says they prefer Android over iPhone? Negative rep. Don't agree with someone who says the Mac Pro is too expensive? Negative rep.

See where I'm going with this? In those 3 situations, the poster is not deserving of the negative rep, yet, they'll get it anyways, from a lot of users.

8. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Hence the "limit" :rolleyes:

I dont really care eirther way. Just thought to throw this out there. The main issue is people not reading the description. Just topic titles.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

I really can't see this bringing any benefits. What's the point?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But there are hundreds of users on the forums at any given time. If 20 of them decide to use their one rating on that post and give it a negative, the poster is still unfairly getting negative rep.

In fact, the only instance I can think of where you could give a negative rep would be a troll post, and those should be handled by the moderators anyways.

11. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

You have a point. One side says your right, but the other says your jsut assuming what people (kids) will do.

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It would happen as it has on other forums.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

What is deficient about the forums that create a need for any sort of rep system? In other words, what's broke that needs fixing? What's the value-added proposition here?

Ten million posts without it seem to indicate that the lack of any such system is not holding anyone back.

14. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Hey kid. Who said anything about being broke?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

JNB and kid, funny.

The Apple discussions does reps, I believe. I’m not sure how that has worked out.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Nobody, that's what I'm asking you. As you haven't actually addressed it yet, how will this suggestion add to the experience or in any way improve the site?

Oh, and I haven't been accurately called a kid in at least 45 or so years, so try again.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

If there was a rep system, I would give the OP a -1.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What would the limit help? What would it limit? The amount of reps each member can do in certain time? Or how many can judge the post in certain amount of time?

This has its pros and cons but I don't see how this could help anything. It would end up being a contest plus yg17 had it right, people would give negative if they disagree. The system isn't wise enough to know is that post a fact or an opinion. People who make valid points about e.g. iPhone vs Android would get smashes because they are not on iPhone's side.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not assuming. I've seen it on many other forums.

And yes, the fanboys will be giving negative rep to anyone who dare question the almighty Apple and King Jobs. I guarantee it.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You really ought to give the members of this forum the benefit of the doubt.

[​IMG]

21. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Btw, what would be the point of this reputation system?

And what about the 130.000 users with zero post?

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Shut up you doodoo head :p

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Daring. I would've gone with, "I know you are, but what am I?" :D

Oh, okay, sorry, in that case, let's do it, by all means. :rolleyes: You do understand what a discussion means, yeah? It's not a discussion as long as all opinions are welcome unless they disagree with you. :p And judging from the vote tally so far....

24. ChrisGonzales90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

not sure if you were tring to be cool there kid, but it doesn't bother me. go,whats the word you kids use, "troll" elsewhere. :D

Yes. Like 5 reps with in a 15 minute time period. This will help cut back on the abuse.

Your right. It does have its pros and cons. Buts its more then just the iphone vs droid. Its the over all site it self. You sazy it will be a contest, how so? you assume people will be creating topics and such about their high rep? I'm sure there are a lot of valuable members here. Only a small percentage will abuse it.

But like I said I could really care less. Just thought to throw the idea out there.

What about them? If they have 0 posts then they arnt active so it doesnt really matter.