Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraphicUmp

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2002
Mid Atlantic
Leopard does actually not repair any disc permissions, that's why there is no moving progress bar and thats why nobody gets a list of repaired permissions. The utility does eventually give the message that permissions have been repaired, but in reality nothing has happened.

Even after removing the ARD agent application, yes the error message disappears but no permissions are being repaired and after the progress bar flashes for up to 20 min (depending on your system), no progress is being made, no permissions are being repaired.

This is a serious issue and hopefully Apple will post a fix soon.

If you check "Show Details" at the top of the log window you will, in fact, get a list of permissions DU has repaired.

I also get all three odd errors as noted above.

Thorne^

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2005
Germany
If you check "Show Details" at the top of the log window you will, in fact, get a list of permissions DU has repaired.

I also get all three odd errors as noted above.

Not really......

2007-11-01 11:25:41 +0100: Disk Utility started.
2007-11-01 11:25:49 +0100: Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
2007-11-01 11:32:38 +0100: User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/jvm.cfg", should be 0, user is 95.
2007-11-01 11:32:38 +0100: User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Libraries/classlist", should be 0, user is 95.
2007-11-01 11:32:50 +0100: ACL found but not expected on "Applications".
2007-11-01 11:32:51 +0100:
2007-11-01 11:32:51 +0100: Permissions repair complete

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I get the 'Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.' but I do not notice the repair being slow. Seems about normal. (Or I may just be used to a slower machine than this one!) I see nothing else in Show Details, just that one line.

Apple really needs to address this problem and fix it ASAP before too many important people lose all their files as some already have over this.

How have they lost files?

Ryanhdd

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am having the same problem "Warning: SUID file System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired." And disk utility and start ups take a lot longer. So i am tagging along for a hopeful repair...

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Same thing here on 17" C2D 2.33 MBP.
Seems like Apple really rushed this GM Leopard version.
Hopefully more updates come out next week.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Hey guys. I can't even get an error! How weird is that complaint.

I did a clean install last week with Leopard on my G5. I used to use Disk Utility everyday to repair permissions. Now I can't seem to get it to work. Uh..

When I click Verify Disk Permissions or Repair Disk Permissions... the loading bar comes up and never progresses.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hey guys. I can't even get an error! How weird is that complaint.

I did a clean install last week with Leopard on my G5. I used to use Disk Utility everyday to repair permissions. Now I can't seem to get it to work. Uh..

When I click Verify Disk Permissions or Repair Disk Permissions... the loading bar comes up and never progresses.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

You just have to ignore it until it is done, no progress bar, no text about the stuff being fix ... nothing until it is done.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It didn't take any 20 minutes for me. (250 GB drive, mostly full, many apps.) It took a few minutes--maybe 3-5? And it showed nothing until it was done. (If it actually did anything!)

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I've done a total of four installs of Leopard; two clean and two upgrades. I still can't get disk utility to repair permissions from Leopard. But I was able to boot from Tiger on a separate volume and repair permissions after copy the BaseSystem.pkg file from the Tiger /library/receipts to the Leopard /library/receipts. At first when I tried repairing permissions from Tiger it gave me an error message before coping the the file over.

Two ongoing issues:
I still can't get Time Machine to recognize my external HD after reformatting, erasing and every other thing imaginable even though it does mount flawlessly and I can copy to/from it. I think it has to do with the safe feature firmware (Lacie Safe model), but still...

And I can't resize the volumes in Leopard by dragging the divider like suposidly can be done. I can decrease the size of either of the two volumes and leave wasted space though!

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
I get the same warning message on two machines and I DON'T get it on a third....

Both my G5 2.5 quad and white 20 inch iMac get the warning message.

but my AL 24" 2.8 iMac does NOT get this warning...I don't understand it.

edit: I spoke too soon....I'm now getting the warning on all three computers....

It showed up on the AL iMac AFTER installing some updates...I don't know which updates though...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
BTW, the thread below suggests (don't panic yet!) that the game Unreal Tournament 2004 will fail to launch after attempting a Leopard permission repair, and must then be re-installed or restored from backup.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4449352

Not sure if that's an actual pattern or not, but if it turns out it is, then be warned that Leopard repair permissions MIGHT do actual harm. (And maybe when/if we understand what, there's a simpler way to get the game to launch again.)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
edit: I spoke too soon....I'm now getting the warning on all three computers....

It showed up on the AL iMac AFTER installing some updates...I don't know which updates though...

The keychain/apple remote access updates are likely the ones that did it.

McRoomer

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Leopard Repair Permissions slow but it worked for me

I repaired permissions on a bootable external drive. I got that SUID message. And nothing happened for the first five minutes. But then it fixed a lot of permissions. I checked some of them using Terminal and they were really fixed.

Similar story for the internal boot drive. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good to know. Mayabe repairing permissions on a different volume works better--like doing so off of the Leopard DVD?

I'm afraid to try :)

McRoomer

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Worked for both internal and external drives

To clarify: It was slow (about 5 minutes) but worked equally well on both my internal and external boot drives.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I too have gotten the dreaded "Warning: SUID file System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" message, and it also takes about 15 minutes for disk utility to do ANYTHING at all on my 2.16 mbp. definitely hope this will be fixed soon...

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Dito wait and see i guess

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Good to know. Mayabe repairing permissions on a different volume works better--like doing so off of the Leopard DVD?

I'm afraid to try :)

I tried the repair permissions from the leopard dvd - it was the same problem also! Very slow and the ard agent problem.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Guess I'm not alone!
Until I read this I was thinking that after having used the Upgrade option to install Leopard I should try Archive or Even Erase and Install to fix this. I know if I phoned Apple that would be the advise (it's their answer to everything)!

So I'll just wait on an update!

SawTooth500

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Florence, Arizona
Try this:

open terminal, type at the prompt - sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

and press enter

You can atleast observe progress this way -still takes a while, but not any 20 minutes, just about 5 or 6 on mine.

PowerMac G4 AGP ( believe it or not!)
Rage128Pro
768 Megs
42 meg harddrive partition.

If I boot up the DVD and run the diskutils for repair permissions and repair them on my 10.4.10 partition, they run just like they did if run from the 10.4 DVD. They don't if you try to run them on the 10.5 Partition. Goofy.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I won't be surprised if we see in Software Update next week an updater for Disk Utility to fix these problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.