Repairs of Some Older Apple Watches May Qualify for Series 2 Replacement Due to Parts Shortage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Blackwell macrumors newbie

Blackwell

I want a broken Apple watch. I want to wear it as a fashion statement, 'cause I want to look hip. I use a very nice iPhone 5, don't even want the watch to work. Maybe 40 or 60 USD.

2. craigmak macrumors member

I use my series 0 to wear to bed. My eyes are so bad it’s much easier to see the time on my watch or turn off the alarm then grabbing the phone.

3. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

It's always the 42mm. My little 38mm S0 has lasted me nearly the 4 years it's been out. The battery is rather weak now and only just gets me though a day. Even if they offered to upgrade I'd be torn on keeping my original.

4. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I've got a series 0-sport sitting in the box that turns on and then goes to a red screen. Can't do anything with that unfortunately. Thought about contacting Apple but I'm pretty sure there's nothing they can do but tell me to buy a new one. Which I already have a Series 4, which I love.

5. RyanOH81 macrumors newbie

RyanOH81

I’m wondering the same thing. My Series 0 is 34 months old now. The battery will often die in the early evening. If I plan to go to the gym after work I charge it mid-afternoon so it’ll make it through my workout. I don’t really want to pour money into my 0, but if I pay $79 to replace the battery and they replace it with a Series 2, I’d do that in a heartbeat.

6. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

LOL! If it is from Apple and if you pay this hefty price yes I do f.....g expect it to last more than just 3 or 4 years!

My main machine is a 2012 MacBook Pro and my Magic Mouse is from 2009. No problem so far. My Pad 2 is from 2011 and while it feels old when I pick up newer iPads it does its job. My iPad Mini 3 is from 2013 and runs just like new. The Apple TV 3 if from 2013 as well and I expect it to run at least 10 more years! My iPod Nano 4th Gen is from 2008 and I still use it occasionally for my little kid. The Airport Extreme ac is from 2013, Airport Express is from 2008, both running fine.

I don't mind to change the battery since I know they degrade over time. Even my Citizen Eco Drive real watch which has a rechargeable battery needs it replaced every 6 to 8 years. But other tech besides the battery should last a few years if it is from Apple.

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Keep us posted

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Apple stores don’t do jack with the watches. They don’t even have them in stock for damage replacement. Everything is sent to some off site center. Even software restores. And they probably have the means to replace the battery. So that’s what you would get. Not a whole watch

9. ManicanParty49 macrumors newbie

ManicanParty49

Don't know whether to be content with the fact that my Series 0 has never had a hardware issue that requires service, or be bummed that my Series 0 doesn't have any hardware issues that require service so I can take advantage of this.

10. sk2sep2304, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

hmm, my series 0 battery IS barely lasting 12 hours. waiting on more data points..

A few weeks ago, I got lucky and received a Xs to replace my lost X from Assurance through AT&T insurance. Of course, I had to pay the $150 deductible. I didn't get the color I wanted, but hey..

11. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Here in the UK I had my S0 swapped out for a new S0 last weekend. I’d taken mine in for a battery replacement, was charged £65.

12. snawaey macrumors newbie

They had the watch in stock? Or you had to send it out? How do you know it was new? They may have performed just a battery replacement.

13. marcelbrown macrumors newbie

marcelbrown

Exactly!

14. snawaey macrumors newbie

So I had just dropped by the apple store for my watch appointment. The tech told me my Apple Watch would need a battery replacement but they have to quote me for the full flat rate of $249 just Incase there’s any other damage when they inspect the watch but if it’s just the battery then they’ll just charge me $79. He also stated they they’d most likely just swap the battery (but I have a feeling he was lying) hence why he was encouraging me to just upgrade to a series 3 or 4 watch instead.

15. afd macrumors 6502a

Earlier this year I asked in Apple store about replacing battery and was told they don’t replace batteries you just get an exchange watch, was told it was around £80 and it could only be a like for like replacement. I didn’t bother as then I’d be stuck with a series 0 for another 3 or 4 years. I might try again, would they tell you up front if it was going to be a series 3 or would I have to wait and see what they gave me?

16. snawaey macrumors newbie

They did not tell me straight up and I honestly didn’t expect them too. Apple is the kinda the company to save that surprise at the end. Icing on the cake call it. Under promise over deliver?

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'll stick with my watch collection of actual watches. Not toys.

18. afd macrumors 6502a

Only time I’ve worn an actual (non apple) watch in past few years is when I’ve been swimming. Could have done that with an actual Apple Watch 2.

19. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

No, had to wait two weeks for a replacement. The watch was definitely not mine, this was pristine, my screen and case had both been scratched. If the replacement wasn’t new it was like new.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    Just to clarify, Apple do not replace the batteries. They will swap your watch for a new one. Seems to be luck of the draw if you get upgraded, my S0 which was heavily scratched was replaced with another new S0 only last weekend for a cost of £65. I was hoping I might get a S1 back, but it wasn’t to be.

20. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

That’s good coz on the UK Apple site it says £82 for a battery replacement!

Will have to see how my watch goes lol

21. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

Went to an Apple store yesterday and they ran a diagnostic and my 3yo series 0 battery passed. They quoted $200 for the repair.

At this point I was willing to pay $79 for a new battery.

Chatted with apple support to ask about the $79 battery offer for out of warranty repairs and they referred me to their supervisor without me asking. Received a scheduled phone callan hour later and they offered to send a one time replacement since they replace batteries for the series 0.

We’ll see what I get in the mail a couple weeks from now...

22. snawaey macrumors newbie

Should be sooner than a couple weeks no? Do you have to send your current watch back aswell?

23. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

Be interested to see what they send you :)

24. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Yes, I saw that too so was pleasantly surprised by the cost :)

25. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

yup lol I bet you were upset you didn’t get a free upgrade But still bet your watch is miles better now :)