Repeat notifications custom schedule for missed text messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcunite, Feb 23, 2017.

1. pcunite macrumors member

Is there an app that can repeat notifications (say for txt messages) to a custom interval? I want to hear the txt message alert every X until I respond, forever. Would be cool to alert every 5 minutes the first hour, then switch to once every hour after that until I actually check my phone again in the morning.

As it stands now, I have to check my phone in the morning to see if I missed anything. I would much prefer the phone to alert me. I think my old Blackberry had a way to do this.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Prepare to be pummeled by the iOS/iPhone loyalists telling you that checking your phone is the right thing to do and that it's not at all that big of a hassle.

You are dangerously close to bringing up an old topic that is much debated here (so I will do it for you) and that is the notification light. Which the iPhone does not have.

I know of no app that will do this. I doubt one exists.

The best you can do is to enable the LED flash and have it repeat 'X' amount of times. That's in the Settings for universal access somewhere.

What you want does exist, but you need to jailbreak to get it. FlashAlert can give you what you want. It's in Cydia for iOS 9.

3. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

You must not be on iOS 10.2, my text notifications happen when they come in, and again when I unlock the phone... yet another bug.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is a repeat notification feature just for messages in iOS, but one that can only be set to happen up to 10 times with only a pre-set 2 minute interval between the alerts. Beyond that there's really nothing else unfortunately, at least not without being jailbroken and using some tweak that has that kind of functionality.

5. pcunite thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thank you. I'm really liking the iPhone. This seems to be an oversight. Take care all.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's not an oversight. It's Apple believing that it's unnecessary.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's interesting that they did add that repeat feature only for messages at some point, even if it's a somewhat limited one. On some level they seemed to have thought that it wasn't completely unnecessary to essentially go out of their way to do that just for that one single notification basically.

8. pcunite thread starter macrumors member

>> It's not an oversight. It's Apple believing that it's unnecessary.

Would be nice then if an app had access to the notifications center, and could then capture them and repeat them. Is there an API that can respond (or hook) into the message app? I get if Apples does not want this, but a developer has not tried?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS isn't designed to allow other (in particular third party) apps to hook into things like that. In a jailbroken state something like that is certainly more likely to be possible, but not in stock iOS.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple locks out certain features of the OS to apps. Apps are supposed to run in their own sandbox. It's a security thing Apple will tell you.

iOS is not Android in the sense that the devs can implement any idea they dream up. They have to remain with the boundaries Apple sets.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    Or just enough people complained.

Apple can be moved. They just get pissy about it and tend to implement a half-assed solution so they can tell those complaining "There, are you happy NOW?!"

Or at least that's what I've observed over the years.

11. foxconn Suspended

This is why a notification light of some sort would be cool.

Subtle and able to turn it off for those that don't want it.

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Too bad that control doesn't actually work. I have mine set to "Never", and it repeats once. o_O

IMG_1774.jpg