Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spppamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
hi all, my iPhone X died on me recently because it took a swim in the sea.

So I’ve decided to do an out of warranty replacement. The question now is timing. Should I do it after the September event and hope for a newer iPhone X / lower out of warranty fees? Or just get it done ASAP? (I have a spare ip 7 to tide me by)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
hi all, my iPhone X died on me recently because it took a swim in the sea.

So I’ve decided to do an out of warranty replacement. The question now is timing. Should I do it after the September event and hope for a newer iPhone X / lower out of warranty fees? Or just get it done ASAP? (I have a spare ip 7 to tide me by)

Wait. You already have an iPhone 7 to hold you over until you can determine what you want to do after the September 12 keynote.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
wait until the announcements next week.
the likelihood of any product being immediately available at the conclusion of the Keynote is slim, however, except for previously launched models with a lowered price.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Use your iPhone 7 for a week. Though it is likely that for your out of warranty replacement you are going to get an iPhone X.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Use your iPhone 7 for a week. Though it is likely that for your out of warranty replacement you are going to get an iPhone X.
This. No point in waiting because there's no scenario where a warranty replacement is going to be anything but a like model (color and capacity included). If you really want a newer model, use your 7 and take that new warranty replacement and sell it as such and put the money toward your upgrade.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The replacement will be the same model you are replacing, not a newer model. Take the replacement now.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'd say wait. Do know that they will replace like for like unless they are severely constrained, which is very unlikely at this point.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Apple will not replace your X with a newer model. You'll receive the same model/color/capacity.

Ultimately it's up to the OP. They have a 7 to tide them over, but they'll need to address their dead X if they want to sell it to get the one of the new models being released later this month. So get it replaced whenever you can.

Reactions: geoff5093

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
While I think you will get the same model, I would still recommend to wait. Who know maybe OoW replacements will be a bit cheaper once the new models are announced?

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
ya read the original post:
-the OP indicated they have a functional backup iPhone7 to fall back. I would fall back to my iPhone 7 for a few months. Wait past the release of the new phones and see if the new design is well accepted. Your iPhone 7 will work just fine. Concentrate on how good your current backup is and get your life back going again. you cold run with the 7 for a few weeks till the release or skip this whole design cycle and update in 2019. you guys know me; "turn over an iPhone and they all look the same". How important is your personal life; spend time doing some serious beach time before winter sets in and skip the trillion dollar 1st world issues.
-dostn sound like like there is much hope for a warranty situation. but given the the new iPhones are "water resistant" i would ask if your local apple store manager would consider a deal on the new phones? give it a try, never know how much discretion the manager has till you try.

Spppamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I think it’s wise to wait it out.

I’m hoping that the out of warranty replacement will be cheaper for gen 1. I’m not really in dire need of a new phone anyway. Just wondering what the most optimum route would be.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

I’m hoping that the out of warranty replacement will be cheaper for gen 1. I’m not really in dire need of a new phone anyway. Just wondering what the most optimum route would be.
Good choice, wait till after the announcement and see if they will drop the cost for the out of warranty replacement. I don't recall if they ever did for the past models???

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Replace the iPhone with OOW pricing, sell it for a higher price.... equals profit.

Use profits towards 2018 iPhone.

Reactions: profets

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
Use the iPhone 7 now as your backup, upgrade after keynote, easy peazy lemon squeezy.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
This. No point in waiting because there's no scenario where a warranty replacement is going to be anything but a like model (color and capacity included). If you really want a newer model, use your 7 and take that new warranty replacement and sell it as such and put the money toward your upgrade.

Agreed but I think still worth waiting as his Out of Warranty replacement for the X may be cheaper once the new models come out.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

Pull the SIM card tray and take a light and look in the hole of the phone. If that indicator is still white. I wouldn’t even say anything about water damage and let them replace it for free through warranty.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Spppamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Pull the SIM card tray and take a light and look in the hole of the phone. If that indicator is still white. I wouldn’t even say anything about water damage and let them replace it for free through warranty.

Hmmm I went to an Apple store and there was no indicator of water damage. That said, I did mention that it was submerged in water and I suspect water damage. So, the tech assistant put it as a out of warranty situation and I declined a new set.

I will be returning from my holiday soon to my home country; so I was just wondering if it would work for me to go to the Apple store there and mention the same story again (but this time to not mention the water part of the story)?

Sigh :(

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Hmmm I went to an Apple store and there was no indicator of water damage. That said, I did mention that it was submerged in water and I suspect water damage. So, the tech assistant put it as a out of warranty situation and I declined a new set.

I will be returning from my holiday soon to my home country; so I was just wondering if it would work for me to go to the Apple store there and mention the same story again (but this time to not mention the water part of the story)?

You screwed yourself by doing that. You should’ve just said the phone wouldn’t turn on. You don’t know what happened to it. They would’ve handed you a new one for free.
[doublepost=1536283500][/doublepost]

And yes don’t mention water submerged. Tell them you don’t know what happened to it.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You screwed yourself by doing that. You should’ve just said the phone wouldn’t turn on. You don’t know what happened to it. They would’ve handed you a new one for free.
[doublepost=1536283500][/doublepost]
And yes don’t mention water submerged. Tell them you don’t know what happened to it.
He'd be lucky if the tech didn't document that on the note because if the tech did, then any Apple store genius will pick that up and see the previous notes. So he's definitely screwed on that part.

Spppamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Zzzz. How would they be able to see the previous notes ? By the serial number of the phone ?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Zzzz. How would they be able to see the previous notes ? By the serial number of the phone ?

Correct. They identify your phone by the model number and IMEI. Basically, any Apple store will have access to your iPhone information.

Spppamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
Ok. Sigh. This is such a bummer :(

Thanks so much for the advice!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.