Replaced a 2013 11" MBA with 2017 13" MBP TB!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Conza, Mar 28, 2018.

  1. Conza, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

    Conza macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    Was this a crazy idea? I don't think so, here's my OP, updated.

    I've posted a thread under MacBook as I was going back and forth between a 12" MacBook or a 13" MacBook Pro TB. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-macbook-12-too-similar-to-2013-macbook-air-11.2111217/

    I was holding out for the education event late March 2018 in Chicago, to see if they'd release a 13" or 14" MB, but nothing mentioned, maybe it'll appear in WWDC but there are pointers indicating otherwise, more likely Q3/Q4.

    To summarise my other thread, I compared the current MB to the MBA and found that it was a bit lacking in terms of upgrade, not to mention the significant reduction in ports, worse webcam, so overall, a lack of an upgrade to my currently ageing 5 year old machine. I wanted to use whatever device I went with as a heavy web browsing, video content watching machine. I also want to use it to cast via AirPlay, connect over thunderbolt to 4K TVs when there's no Apple TV, write documents on and occasional spreadsheet work (not heavy number crunching), and be my travelling computer as my trusty MBA has been.

    My 11" MBA is still going, I dropped it on its corner the other day, no appreciable damage only cosmetic which I'm still sad about, but it's had its time, it's done its bit for me, 12-18 months and that'll be it I reckon.

    All I wanted to do was spec 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD, $600AUD more for an additional 512GB (1TB) didn't make sense to me, I know by the end of its life 512GB won't seem so large, but it'll make do, and on my MBA it could've honestly been a 256GB, I've barely gone past half way.

    The price difference of the MBP vs the MB when using the minimum (possible) CPU + 16GB and a 512GB SSD on both machines was just $650 AUD, and the main thing for me is its a significant investment either way, so I want it to last a long time, and my 11" MBA vs the 12" MB hardly seems like a jump, where as the much faster ram, superior GPU, screen (both are better, but the 13" is quite a bit better than the 12"s in my opinion), makes the Pro seem like an upgrade, while the MacBook seem like a slight iteration.

    To spend $2669AUD (~$2050USD) for a retina screen, larger and new battery with 1/3 the power consumption cpu in a great form factor, which is a factor for me, just didn't seem worth it otherwise, I'm rebuying much of the same thing, not to mention it has a worse webcam (which I never use) no magsafe still, and even if I buy an adapter I'll be plugging it in and taking it out all the time because it only has 1 port, which I currently use just magsafe for anyway.

    $3319AUD (~$2550USD) is a heap of money for a new toy, I'd really need to keep it until the next redesign for it to make sense, but I love the space grey, a 1600p screen destroys the 900p I've been using, touch ID sounds cool, and the GPU increase is something I think I'd benefit from, and really, I do use my MBA almost every day, so this is why I'm considering it.

    No the nTB doesn't even come into consideration for very long, too many tales of the single fan not kicking in early enough or hard enough to cool down the PC under heavy load.
     
  2. BananaX macrumors regular

    BananaX

    Joined:
    May 24, 2017
    #2
    Looks like your MBA is working. I would suggest to wait for the 2018 refresh if you can. But if you really want to buy one now, A$3319 can get you a MBP 15 which has Radeon Pro 555 and 16g ram as well. But, the downside is the size and 256SSD.

    My experience with MBP 15 2016 model did not end well. I don't know if 2017 has any improvements. I just brought myself a refurb 13 MBP non-tb model, only cost me A$1600. So for so good, and the fan speed is 0 most of the time, full speed under gaming, and 1000 - 1500 while watching youtube and office apps. If you are doing all the heavy lifting works on your PC (I do mine on my iMac), I would suggest you to consider something cheaper and more portable. You can always return within 14 days if you don't like it.
     
  3. Conza thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    Location:
    Australia
    #3
    @BananaX Yes I am waiting for the refresh, I think very soon after a refresh of anything is the best time to buy.

    The previous or current MacBook Pro 15 is basically out of the question, the last thing I didn't say is I rest the MacBook on my chest in bed to watch content quite often, using a portfolio case and the keyboard to make a flipped V shape to keep the screen upright, currently the MBA with that leather case is 1.3kgs, so a MBP 13 with a case should be about 1.5kgs, a MB would be 1.1kgs, the old MBP 15 would be 2.2-2.3kgs, and even the current one would be 2kgs, and I don't think it's necessary.

    I think the 13 inch Pro TB is the goldilocks of the MacBooks of 2017, so the improvements of later this year (or maybe next year? long time to wait) I'll look forward to.

    Highly recommend you read the details in the post above regarding the nTB model, if you still have time I'd take that in and pay whatever the difference is for a TB model asap. I looked at a tear down and they are completely different machines under the skin.
     
  4. BananaX macrumors regular

    BananaX

    Joined:
    May 24, 2017
    #4
    Yeah, the refresh 13 MBPtb for you should be the one to buy. Pretty sure the 2018 model will have the 8th gen i5 which has 4 cores. It should be able to last more than 3 years.

    I have read that post a few weeks ago. I understand the base model MBP does not have 2 fans, and cooling is not as good. But, I can't even push this MBP's fan to reach 3000RMP, I suppose the expensive ones are just overkilled for me. Besides, I am going overseas in 2 weeks, I can get my GST back as well. I will end up paying only A$1400 for this MBP, which is cheaper than an iPad Pro with case and keyboard. I just can walk pass the deal :rolleyes:
     
  5. jerryk macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #5
    I would wait a few months after the refresh to buy. Given Apple latest track record I do not think it is wise to be an early adopter of the the latest MacBook Pros. I plan on doing that.
     
  6. Conza thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    Now I'm considering the 2015 and 2016 for a number of reasons (all prices are AUD)

    2015
    Price - looks like they're going from $1200-$1800 which is a cool $2000-$1500 off, that's a amazing saving for carrying an additional 200g and a slower CPU/GPU
    SSD Upgradability - This means I could buy any MBP 2015 with 16GB an swap the SSD to a 512GB/1TB version. a 512GB is only ~$200 a 1TB is ~$330. I understand there may be limitations to which one I can buy, I'm sure they'll be more details here.
    Ports - Magsafe being No. 1, I already have a Pro 15inch MagSafe 2 charger (85W) so that will work immediately, then I have a spare when this one inevitably frays at the end. Also USB A, HDMI, thunderbolt 2 (already have a TB2-HDMI cable)
    Keyboard - longer travel, function keys and escape key without the cooling issues of the nTB 2016/2017 models
    Longer battery life - despite the less efficient processor, its about 74wh instead of 49, so I think on balance it has about 20-25% more battery


    2016
    Price - Found one that is about $2500AUD, still $800 saved (coincidentally splitting the difference between the above saving)
    CPU/GPU only minor improvement - as far as I can tell the HD 550 vs the HD 650 has no real downsides?

    So now I'm wondering if it's worth paying $800-$1300 for +200nits P3 instead of just sRGB, USB-C (don't care for them), nicer/newer look, and 200g weight saving.

    Of course, I have to add $350 to any price of a 2015 to properly match it up, if it doesn't have at least a 512GB, which would be enough, but if I'm going to the effort I'll go for a 1TB so I can set and forget.
     
  7. Conza thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2018
    Location:
    Australia
    #7
    So, finally bit the bullet, and bought a 2017 13" MBP TB!

    Got exactly the specs I wanted for a very good price, 16% off retail, brand new.

    Couldn't be happier, will post more later on.
     

Share This Page