Replacement denied?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ryxsolo, May 18, 2011.

1. Ryxsolo macrumors newbie

The Geniuses at various Apple stores have been telling me that Apple will only replace a backlight bleeding iPad 2 only once and will issue a refund the second time you come in for the same problem. Have anyone had a Apple Genius deny a replacement?

I didn't buy my iPad 2 at a Apple store so the refund wouldn't apply to me.

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Applecare through the phone will continue to replace it till you get a unit that is defect free. Luckily for me it only took 1 time.

3. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

How bad is the backlight issue, is it only noticeable on max brightness and all black screen?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Sounds about right, if your not satisfied with the product then its time to move along. Its probably cheaper for Apple to just send you a check for the amount of the iPad than it is to continue to send back unit after unit to get refurbished because people have OCD issues.

5. L0ADING macrumors member

L0ADING

if i have the blacklight issue could i wait until lets say 9 months then take it back to have it replaced?

does the warranty restart? or could i just pay for the extra year after that

also if they would just refund me i would just buy another with the refunded money... win?

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

+1

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The warranty is good for 1 year from original purchase. So if you had yours replaced on the 364th day from when you originally bought it, the new one would have a one day warranty. I believe you can purchase AppleCare during the 1 year warranty period, but not later.

8. hoanganh macrumors member

Really interested in this topic, everybody, who got replacement denied please tell which store is it happens; so we can avoid that store when come to have a replacement.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought people weren't denied but allowed 1 replacement?!

10. hoanganh macrumors member

so, after 1 replacement, it'll be denied, right?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope. replacements get a seperate warranty on the line of 30 days or so

12. Ryxsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Backlight bleeding is bad on my iPad 2. I thought I could live with it but when watch moves with the black bars on top and bottom, in landscape mode, the bleeding is really distracting. Even when in dark scenes or games or anything with dark scenes the bleeding is very noticeable.

Not sure if they can even give me a refund since I bought my iPad 2 from j and r.

13. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

Replacement apple products get the remainder of the 1 year warranty or a 90 day warranty, whichever is longest. So if you take your ipad in on month 11 and get it swapped out, you get a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

14. nickbarbs, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

nickbarbs macrumors regular

I went through 5 (five) replacement. 6th iPad was /is perfect.

As far as the warranty system is concerned- there is no SYSTEM PROCESSING limit, the system will accept infinite returns within your warranty period, essentially, the control is at the store level, and they know you, if you keep going to the same store, they will give you this attitude because they don't want you to use up all their replacements.

I got that line from the Covent Garden store after using 3 replacements, all of which were clearly defective between stuck/dead pixels, dents and scratches on the back from replacement units, they admited themselves that they did not understand why all their replacements had problems. I ended up accepting their last in stock replacement a week and a half ago with 3 dead pixels. Why is this my fault? am I OCD to accept a unit with defects? I didnt pay apple within tolerance, why the heck should i accept a defective unit "within tolerance".

I booked with Regent Street and got a new guy, and showed him dead pixels, he processed my 6th ipad (5th replacement) with zero hesitation or mention of all the replacements I got. I was ready for a refund, but he produced honestly a fantastic Ipad 2, clean screen zero issues, perfect build quality, as I would expect from Apple, or anyone else who I'm coughing up 660£ for their device.

Honestly, since these are LEGITIMATE build issues, and it is apparent, not an OCD thing, you can go to any different apple store with your replacement and keep getting swapped out until you get a defect free unit. Thats the way I see it, and have not had problems. Be ready to accept a refund, do not accept sub par quality, and you have legal rights as a consumer, USE THEM.

Or, you can just return it, tell apple to stuff it until they start having consistent QC.

Those of you saying OCD are accepting defective units and do not help the problem because you give apple less incentive to fix this situation by boosting their sales.

15. Ryxsolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well said.

16. L0ADING macrumors member

L0ADING

17. WildGuess macrumors regular

As long as it is not a heart with an arrow through it and "Mother" underneath.

18. L0ADING macrumors member

L0ADING

do they replace it with an unengraved one?

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Fwiw we just bought two iPads. They are worse than my original. I'd wait on a swap. You have a year.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm pretty sure it's 90 days or the remaining period on the original 1 year, whichever is longer.

21. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

And those of you who ARE OCD (and a few of you are) aren't helping the situation either by unduly hurting sales and inflating return numbers. I think everyone understands that there are some units with backlight bleed, but what you seem unable to grasp is that most LCD based displays have some measure of backlight bleed that no one ever notices (it's the nature of the display type), and that a whole lot of people are returning units for a extremely minor amount of bleeding that is only a problem when one obsesses over it.:rolleyes:

22. nickbarbs macrumors regular

False.

I have a few touchscreen products, and a laptop with an 11.6 inch display, and none have this. When you watch movies on it and you have to deal with this splotchy bleed it's very pronounced and aggravating, best of all there are units without this issue. I am not sure what your point is; are you saying that we serve to maximise apples profits despite their manufacturing decisions?

Considering they basically doubled Goldmans profits last quarter I'm not shedding any tears for the defective returned iPad 2s Apple has to deal with due to whatever flaw lead to this. I still think you're the one inflating the number of defect free iPads by accepting this flaw and handing over your cash.

23. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well since both of you are just pulling numbers/figures out of thin air you're both wrong in essence. There's no numbers so no one knows.

24. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Goldman Sachs Posts $2.7 Billion First-Quarter Profit 2011.
    Apple reported profits of $5.99 billion over the same period.

tears shed over returned defective iPad2's: Zero

25. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'd say that the OCD people are in the right and Apple is in the wrong, but LCDs have always had rather *****ty quality control.. particularly IPS ones.