Replacing Hard Drive in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lwmcanada, Aug 1, 2007.

1. lwmcanada macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Macbook Pro 2.2 SR. I am thinking about replacing the hard drive with a seagate momentus 7200 200GB drive.

I am just wondering about possible problems I might have if i were to do such a thing, besides the difficult install. I would probably be more prone to heat issues and stuff right? Just wondering what I could be getting myself into, before i actually get myself into it:rolleyes:

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I would get an Apple tech to do it for you, so you can keep your warrantee, but it'll cost a little bit. I doubt the drive would really get that hot, but I'm not sure as I don't have experience with the specific drive. I'd say you're good to go.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

How much does Apple charge to replace HDs on MBPs (in store)?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

it's about $100 an hour, but it won't take that long. You'd prolly pay 'em $50 at the most. From my understanding MBP's aren't that hard to get into, so a tech could prolly get it open, in, and closed in no time... at most half an hour. FYI, I'll be doing this when I get down to the 250 Gb 5400 on my list (got a lot to buy).

Oh, and if I remember correctly, Apple stores won't do it, but any certified Apple reseller with a tech will do it.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

If you're proficient with working on electronics and small parts, and don't bat an eye about things like voiding a warranty, then I doubt it is that hard or that would would encounter/introduce any problems.

I don't know specifically if the momentus drives run hotter, but considering they're 7200, probably a little - But probably not much, and the benefit of having a 7200 perpendicular drive will be sweet. The extremetech folks upgraded their MBP with a 160gb momentus and saw huge improvements in drive access times. They posted a guide which doesn't look too difficult; just tons of tiny screws.

Good luck if you give it a go; Personally this is the sort of thing I'd do only when out of warranty and then only if there was a fault with the drive (but I guess "too small" is a fault. ;) )
    -ab

6. sealab2021 macrumors member

Just curious

If an apple tech can do it with and it doesn't void the warranty, then how does apple know the difference if you did it, or apple did it? Do they keep a note of it on their system?

My old MBP, I was able to take it apart, replace the thermal grease, replace the hardrive. Its not big deal (for someone who knows what their doing, fyi, my friend ruined his because of carelessness).

So then I had apple fix my notebook's screen, but it was already out of warranty at the time.

Do you think they would know that I opened it up? (other then the obvious different hard drive I mean)

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There's no way I'll be doing it myself, especially when it's only ~$50 to have it professionally done. I've been looking at maybe getting one of the new 250GB drives, or maybe a little smaller.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

that would be my guess, thats its something like the VIN on a car, as long as a certified tech does the work its still under warranty

9. lwmcanada thread starter macrumors newbie

So, if i booked an appointment with the genius bar or something, they would do it there as long as I had the drive? It doesnt have to be like...apple certified or something?

i live in toronto area. I dunno if finding a certified tech would be very easy.

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I think the point is that Apple themselves (the Genius Bar or whatever) won't do it at all. (Or at least, this was the answer I got when I asked in an Apple shop in the UK the other day).

You'd need to find an Apple Technician who wasn't working for Apple.

SL

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I just CTO the machine with the desired size. Why go to so much trouble?

You are not saving any money anyway.

12. lwmcanada thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have it, so the CTO option is'nt an option, so it is saving me money, unless I want to buy another one.:rolleyes:

13. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

This has been stated time and time again. If you replace your hard drive... You DO NOT void your warranty. Your warranty is only compromised if you damage your system while installing the new HD. That said... If your Logic Board should fail and you send in your unit with the new HD in it... they may very well decide to blame the logic board failure on your instalation. Apple is known for **** like that... (Shame on you Apple). If you feel confident... do it. If you have any problems with your mac in the future, just make sure to swap the HD's back. They will never know the diff.

There are some really good guides for replacing your HD on a MBP. I cant be bothered to find the page... but if you google it... or search these forums you will find it.

b

14. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Where, in Canada, did you pick up a 200GB Seagate Momentus 7200rpm drive? And for how much?

I am also looking at this drive alongside a 200GB 7200 RPM Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 w/16MB cache. I'm leaning towards the Hitachi since it's marketed as delivering comparable power consumption as its 5400 RPM brethren, but it is not cheap at $268 USD.

15. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I am very interested in changing my hard drive, but I have heard so many different things, does it void the warranty or doesn't it!?

also, how hard is it?

16. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160

--That same drive for $214.99 USD at NewEgg

17. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

18. johnfromspokane macrumors newbie

It is not that big a deal...

Last week I upgraded my MBP to a 250GB WD Scorpio. Thanks to Hackzine, the hard part (software) was easy. I was in and out of the case with the right tools in twenty minutes (thanks to ifixit.com instructions, which were pretty good). If you use the ifixit instructions, note that they make no mention of transferring the little feet off sides of the old hard drive to the new one so that it is secure in the mounts. That would be the last step of their taking it out instructions, if it was there. They give no replacement instruction, just reverse the removal.

Note, in software:
    • backup Mac HD with SuperDuper! and register!!!!
    • Back up windows partition if you have one with WinClone
    • Do your mechanicals, tape the little screws to the instruction as you take them out and that way the reverse procedure is easy...

Really, I gave myself way too much angst over this. It is not difficult.

Good Luck, don't be a wuss, DO IT!

bye.

19. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I Do Agree Here!!

Remember to be a Clean Freak and be "Static Discharge Safe" and always use Good Quality Tools!! Nothing good will happen to a SMALL PHILLIPS Head screw if a crappy screwdriver is used on it!!

... and take some pics to help if you wish as well... makes replacing items much easier on the Brain...

Just Do It!!

20. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

That looks simple enough. I think I'll give it a go.

21. jkfinch macrumors newbie

Please let us know if the Seagate MOMENTUS 7200 HARD DRIVE 200GB works on a macbook pro. I just ordered the seagate hard drive for a macbook pro I plan to buy at the end of this month. Good Luck

22. hd1080ts macrumors member

Momentus 200GB 7200rpm works in C2D MacBook Pro 17inch.

On my C2D MacBook Pro 17inch I have just swapped my 100GB 7200rpm Hitachi drive with the Seagate Momentus ST9200420AS 200GB 7200rpm 16MB.

It works! and it's quieter than the Hitachi it replaced.

Update.
    Drive is fine! and is running cooler.

Bootcamp did not like me partitioning the drive and refused to install, so I manually installed XP, and lost the ability to boot to OSX.

So I recommend you format the drive as 1 big Mac partition, then let bootcamp do it's stuff.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Bingo! Apple only does part for part swaps when things are damaged or flawed. They don't do upgrades. And getting into the case it a bit harder than some make it seem. It would take at least 20 minutes to get all the screws and parts removed, then just as long to get them back in.

It's not that hard, and if you machine is damaged some time in the near future and Apple sees that you did a non-user replaceable upgrade they will void the warranty. That is a smart move on Apple since the machine wasn't made to be handled like that in the first place.

24. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

25. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Dude, you can always put the original drive back in (in 30 minutes) if you have to send it to Apple for a major operation! :apple: