Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly kicked off the development of a 20-inch display, possibly for a future MacBook Pro model, according to a report today by The Elec, citing industry sources.

foldable-macbook-astropad.jpg
Concept by Astropad

Per the report, the 20-inch device will feature a 20.25-inch OLED display made by an unknown South Korean component supplier. With a 20.25-inch display unfolded, the device would feature a 15.3-inch screen when folded, larger than the current largest iPad Pro but smaller than the 16-inch MacBook Pro.
Given that the screen size is in its early 20 inches when unfolded, the project product is likely to be in a form close to a MacBook (laptop). Assuming a 20-inch product is 20.25 inches, it will be 15.3 inches in size when folded. The currently available Apple MacBook Series screen sizes are mid-to-late 10 inches, and the iPad (tablet) series screen sizes are between less than 10 inches and early 10 inches.
The report claims that Apple is eyeing a mainstream commercial launch of its foldable device in 2026 or 2027, but is cautious that Apple is unlikely to do so until it transitions the iPad and Mac to OLED displays. Currently, only the high-end iPhone and Apple Watch models have OLED displays while other Apple products have LCD panels.

In an additional tidbit of the report, The Elec claims that Apple is looking to replace the iPad mini with a foldable device that measures 10 inches and notes a foldable iPhone is "unlikely," despite reports that Apple is working on one.

According to today's report, Apple plans to launch 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad models with OLED displays in 2024, lining up with previous reports and rumors. The report also cites 2025 as the year Apple plans to debut a MacBook Pro with an OLED display.

Article Link: Report: Apple Starts Work on 20-Inch Foldable Display, Possibly for Future MacBook Pro

• Sad
Reactions: ratspg and madmin

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Foldables are a physical, mechanical problem that nobody has really come close to solving well. They damage easily and don't look seamless.

I'm sure Apple experiments with a lot of ideas, but it would surprise me if they managed to launch a foldable product which is radically better than the garbage out there.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Just roll out some great VR goggles so that we can have any size screens we need "in there."

Need an ultra wide for some project where width matters most. Dynamically use an ultra wide. Need ultra tall for some task where you need tons of portrait orientation? Dynamically use that kind of (virtual) screen. Need an IMAX screen to watch a video? Summon up a virtual IMAX size. Need a classic 3.5" phone screen for one-handed use? Ta-dah.

If rumored goggles are not just Apple Occulus Pro Max Deluxe Mach II, they might be able to cover all display bases, effectively giving you desktop power you can summon in any scenario/setting.

Example: I just had a long flight without enough room for laptop use. So I used ear goggles (headphones) to fill the time listening to music. However, if there were goggles that could "create" my desktop setup in that physically-limited space, it wouldn't matter that the airlines continue to squeeze the seating space. Plop open that shrinking tray table for a virtual or physical keyboard and let me use whatever size screen(s) I want.

Last edited:

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Apple has patents related to glass keyboards. They have proposed areas on the glass that can be raised to define keys. So your screen can go from 100% screen to feeling like a keyboard.

Reactions: SFjohn and Seanm87

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
So they really want to chase developers away from their laptops?

First the defective by design emoji keyboard, now this.

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
If this is a replacement for the MacBook then please no, but if this is a foldable "Wacom tablet" that supports the Apple Pencil with hover and works on macOS then yes please.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sleepyhead312

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Here come the “who would ever buy this” comments. I know I would buy one looks cool as hell
There is a difference between looking cool and functional. Whats the benefit of this? Is portability still a factor or is this just intended to be a shiny gimmick? I think what needs to happen is more work needs to go into fixing iPad OS on the existing iPads first. Windowing is such a mess right now.

Reactions: klasma

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Foldables are a physical, mechanical problem that nobody has really come close to solving well. They damage easily and don't look seamless.

I'm sure Apple experiments with a lot of ideas, but it would surprise me if they managed to launch a foldable product which is radically better than the garbage out there.
They're getting better every year though.

I have a Fold 4 provided by work and I'm in love with it. If I could afford it, it would be my main device.

The crease doesn't bother me at all, it's something you just ignore like the notch on iPhone.

Nothing broke yet and the reports of damaged screens are decreasing per upgrade they're doing.

So, yea a lot of people are beta testers for this with expensive devices and I suspect Apple is in the same situation, they're just waiting for the tech to improve before they go all in.

Reactions: RevTEG

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.