Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
If this is a replacement for the MacBook then please no, but if this is a foldable "Wacom tablet" that supports the Apple Pencil with hover and works on macOS then yes please.
I don't think it would be a replacement for the MacBooks. It's more likely the answer for those that want MacOS on an iPad without just slapping MacOS on an iPad and calling it a day. It's a great way to introduce new tech like foldable screens, without compromising existing product lines.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
If Apple released a folding phone, I’d be first in line to buy it. I know the crease is nearly impossible to avoid, but I would deal with it, if it means I can have a smaller phone that’s full-featured.

Reactions: TechRunner

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
Two screens with more than 90 degrees one from each other are not practical, to say the least.

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
Here come the “who would ever buy this” comments. I know I would buy one looks cool as hell
Everyone in this forum would buy it; no matter the functionality, looks or especially price.

There's still a lot of people that actually believe the notch and touch bar are a good idea.

• Disagree
Reactions: rileyes

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
i own tactical shirts that have conceal pockets can fit 2 of those beasts
could also be used as low level body armor with a armored case

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
If Apple released a folding phone, I’d be first in line to buy it. I know the crease is nearly impossible to avoid, but I would deal with it, if it means I can have a smaller phone that’s full-featured.
It'd be smaller but fatter. Pick your poison.

WWPD

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2015
Ten Forward
"It's a tablet, a laptop and a Mexican food and we're calling it iTaco."

That mouse looks like an ergonomic nightmare.

Reactions: Icaras

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
When capitalism runs out of practical ideas and corporations can’t be bothered to fix the bugs and issues with their current hardware and software it’s time to create new categories and find new markets.

Except when you do that you have to introduce lots of gimmicks, hype promises and janky solutions.

We are moments away from someone introducing:

The foldable virtual merdaverse flying taxi laptop with self driving robotic blockchain created in an OpenAI simulation and made out of artificially generated limited edition nft bodyparts.

Price: only $10,000.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
When it comes to putting something in my pocket, I could handle thicker instead of wider. Having an iPad mini size screen that folds down to the current iPhone Max size screen but twice as thick would be an ok compromise.
Yes so much easier to put my ZF4 in my pocket than my 13PM was.

Reactions: visualseed

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Nothing beats a great physical keyboard

On that note, I was playing with a 2008 MacBook Pro the other day that a relative gave to me.

Man I love those keyboards. Such a great feel, bounce, rebound to it -- so tactically engaging.

I miss that.
The current keyboards are ok -- but they've lost a little something

Reactions: enterthemerdaverse

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Looks more like an iPad Pro to me. I think this design is more useful in an iPad than a MacBook.

The iPad already functions on 100% screen whereas the MacBook uses the mouse and benefits from a physical keyboard. For me I am always torn between buying the 11 vs 13 inch iPad Pro. This design has the potential to put a much larger screen in the form factor of the more portable iPad.

I think ipads are a much more realistic prediction for folding screens

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
I mean if it's an iPad Ultra, I'd be fine with it. If it's supposed to be an Air or MBP, then nah. That's impractical from a professional use perspective. Put a third screen on the face-out side when folded and then we can talk. OR z-fold it and it's all 1 panel but can triple in horizontal footprint or clamshell 2/3 and the third screen blacks out for typing mode.

juanzeballos

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
I hope companies would realize the flexible screens have no real usefulness in the real world, I mean of all the areas that they could be improving being able to bend a screen seems like the most ridiculous part to do it.

Here are technologies that need improvement asap before bending screens: Wireless data transfer, wireless charging speeds, 5g connectivity, iPad OS, mac keyboards lol, and so on...I get that they probably can get these bendy screens for dirt cheap and is a marketing material for non tech people that are going to buy it just because but cmon put people where is needed.

philcourage

Suspended
Oct 27, 2022
They're getting better every year though.

I have a Fold 4 provided by work and I'm in love with it. If I could afford it, it would be my main device.

The crease doesn't bother me at all, it's something you just ignore like the notch on iPhone.

Nothing broke yet and the reports of damaged screens are decreasing per upgrade they're doing.

So, yea a lot of people are beta testers for this with expensive devices and I suspect Apple is in the same situation, they're just waiting for the tech to improve before they go all in.
I would love a device like that but in my country is crazy expensive now. I do hope they come down in price in the next years.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
As others have mentioned, this looks more like hardware built for the iPad OS rather than the Mac OS.

The linked story (translated from Korean using Google, so YMMV) basically says they assume it is going to be a Macbook based on the size. Later, the article allows that the display will be OLED and such a product would only be released after an actual Mac laptop with OLED comes to market. But...

In light of the standard that Apple will apply a foldable form factor after adopting OLED for a specific IT product line, the possibility that an iPad-shaped foldable product will be released before the early 20-inch foldable product cannot be ruled out.

So it seems that the article isn't sure about anything, and that it could be that Apple is working on an iPad that is Mini-sized when closed, but opens up to be larger. That would mean the display the linked article mentions is basically a technology test bed, and not the same size as an eventual finished product. Which makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.