Report Claims 7-Inch iPad in August, New iPhone in September, New 10-Inch iPad by End of Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 9, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Digitimes has had a hit-or-miss track record when it comes to Apple rumors, but with the site having offered some accurate information in the past, its claims continue to be closely watched. In its latest report, the site lays out a timeline for Apple's iPhone and iPad plans for the remainder of the year, basing its claims on sources within Apple's supply chain.

The report focuses on Pegatron, which has served as an alternate assembly partner to Foxconn for a number of Apple products. According to Digitimes, Pegatron has landed orders for both a new iPhone planned to launch in September and a new iPad scheduled to debut "in the fourth quarter".

The iPhone claim appears to be a reasonable one given current thinking that Apple will return to a roughly one-year interval between iPhone updates, with a September launch coming just under a year after the early October introduction of the iPhone 4S last year.

But the iPad claim is a more troublesome one, as Apple has so far stuck to a yearly schedule for iPad hardware updates centered around the March-April timeframe. A late 2012 release of a new "10-inch iPad" presumably arriving as a next-generation version of the current device would mark a significantly shorter lifecycle for the current model than would be expected.

Similar rumors of a late-year iPad update surfaced last year before being quashed amid reports that work on the new Retina display would keep Apple on its yearly update cycle.

[​IMG]

Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPhone (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)

Digitimes makes one final claim in its latest report, indicating that Foxconn will be a manufacturing partner for a smaller 7-inch iPad, which is planned for release in August. Claims of such a device have been circulating for some time with some reports similarly pointing to a Q3 launch, and it seems likely that Apple has at least toyed with the idea. It is unclear, however, whether the company truly has any intentions of bringing it out of its design lab.

Article Link: Report Claims 7-Inch iPad in August, New iPhone in September, New 10-Inch iPad by End of Year

2. Joshwawilson macrumors regular

I'm tired of this stuff. Seriously, it's the same old news we've heard many times before

3. Boisv macrumors regular

Pegatron... did anyone else think of Voltron?

4. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Every time they cite digitimes stories, this site loses credibility with me. I realize news has been slow lately, but come on.

5. levitynyc macrumors 65816

the 7" iPad rumor...it just won't die, nor will it happen.

iPhone 5 makes sense in September

The 10" iPad in December rumor is idiotic.

6. KSpider macrumors regular

No kidding, where are my freaking MBP and iMac updates

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Bla bla bla...fits in a woman's purse more easily...bla bla bla!

8. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

7" iPad? This August?

Good joke. Moving on...

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10. Thunderhawks Suspended

Finally what the Android fans want a 7 inch phone that competes
    with the 4.8 inch S3.

Buy the bigger pocket jeans and it's all good:)

11. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

Wasn't the exact same thing said about this time last year?

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I can see the storage bumped up by October with the iPad but that is all.

13. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Kind of like the Verizon iPhone? In February? It will never happen! That's mid-cylce!

Not saying it will happen - but you can't bet that Apple will always do the same thing....

14. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

How do I get a job with any of these folks? A new iPhone is being released this year, paycheck please.

15. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I really doubt the 10" iPad rumor for later this year, but I hope the other two prove to be accurate. Though as much as I think I'd enjoy a 7-8" iPad, I'm not sure if I could give up my retina display.

16. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Digitimes? this is old "Macrumors Page2™" material

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Just what I thought the iPad always needed, an extra .3 of an inch.

18. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I'm an Android user and a 4.8 inch phone is NOT something I want.

Please refrain from misinforming the Macrumors community.

19. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

The only way I see these rumors ending is if Apple actually ships it. In which case, they'll be replaced by "Updated 7 inch iPads this Tuesday!" rumors.

20. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Why would Apple release 3 iPads at different times in one year? :eek:

Only thing I agree with is September iPhone.

21. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Pretty sure Digitimes have been running this article every week for the past two years.

22. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

7" iPad would have a retina display, too

Presumably a 7" iPad would have a retina display as well, no? Of course it would be smaller but the pixel density should be the same.

23. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You guys do realize that the name of this forum is "MacRumors" right? As soon as a rumor comes through, you guys can't wait to get mad and say how it is rubbish. Lighten up........

24. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Although most women I know carry "purses" that could conceal a 27" iMac, there is no room in there for a 7" anything, because they carry so much crap in these leather duffel bags that whenever they are searching for something it sounds like a kid digging for parts in a giant box of Legos.

25. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Very very doubtful. The only way I can imagine seeing a new full size iPad by the end of the year is if the iPhone gets a new generation of CPU and they don't want to leave it too long before putting it in an iPad .