Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Spell it now...
aluminium

From what I've gathered, aluminum is actually an accepted derivative spelling within the US (and is much more common) while aluminium is more common everywhere else.

----------

Interestingly enough, even Apple states in its iPhone manual that one should not put the iPhone directly to the ear (but that is what most people do) due to radiation.

Snip

Does anybody actually do it? :) I don't think so.

15 mm is an extremely small distance, but this is certainly covered by The cases most people use (as outlined in the document).

Edit: I read that as 1.5 mm, this is what I get for commenting before coffee.

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Curved display has to be the most useless idea ever.
There is absolutely no benefit from curved display for phones or TVs.
I find it extremely unlikely that apple implement such useless gimmick in a product like iPhone.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
They can punch a large apple-shaped hole in the back. Fill it with matte black plastic so that it's flush with the back and virtually indistinguishable from it.

Some sort of zig-zag folded antenna can go behind that.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Curved display has to be the most useless idea ever.
There is absolutely no benefit from curved display for phones or TVs.
I find it extremely unlikely that apple implement such useless gimmick in a product like iPhone.

Try reading the article next time, you may just find it more plausible.

And the world continues to not know what the hell the iPhone 6 looks like.

Basically this... The silly guessing, speculation, and mockups aren't even particularly interesting this time around either.

"Well...it's bigger, we think. It'll probably be different...but similar. I mean we know it will have a moved button or two (we're certain of that!)"

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
So is the display going to be curved, or is it that it's going to bend around the edges of the phone give a bezel-less screen? Both? I can't really tell from the original article, it seems to read like both but I can't really tell.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
How would the antenna pass through? They would have to put slits or something on the back to avoid another Antennagate. And curved display? Lol, this source doesn't seem too reliable.

----------

And the world continues to not know what the hell the iPhone 6 looks like.

Doubling down! :D

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
From what I've gathered, aluminum is actually an accepted derivative spelling within the US (and is much more common) while aluminium is more common everywhere else.

I was going to bust on "aluminium" too when I first saw it, but it is acceptable. In the US there is only one "i", but UK uses two, and that is probably what most non-US people follow. (Note, it is also pronounced differently too between US and UK people.)

I used to read a lot of UK Sci-Fi when I was in high school and used the UK spelling of words on tests and always had to argue with my teachers. If I could show it in a dictionary I'd win.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Round edges would be welcome. The 4 - 5S design was always a tad pointy at the corners. Defiantly looking forward to the bigger screen.:cool:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
All-aluminium? Antennagate 2, here we come! :D

That's what I/m thinking. The spaces left and right of the earpeice and the home button... are all that would be left for antenna apertures.

It's feasible. But an engineering challenge.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
all aluminum ? That would mean heavier.....

no thanks....... I always frown at curved screens, because even though they looks cool, it just gives people an excuse to say "oh,, i know longer have to see face on anymore, thanks to this 'new' technology."

Regardless of the cool-ness, its the only thing that enlightens me. 3D also enlightened people too, but look how long that lasted..

Just something else to tinker with, manufactures get it right so everyone will jump on board. That's all it is...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Maybe it's just me but wtf is the point of a curved display and why is everyone so eager to lap it up? Personally, I see not advantage in such a small device. I see an annoyance.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Maybe it's just me but wtf is the point of a curved display and why is everyone so eager to lap it up? Personally, I see not advantage in such a small device. I see an annoyance.

If it's that the glass curves around the edges to allow the screen to go all the way to the edges than I understand. I'm not sure what the point of a curved, slight or not, display is.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So is the display going to be curved, or is it that it's going to bend around the edges of the phone give a bezel-less screen? Both? I can't really tell from the original article, it seems to read like both but I can't really tell.

Thank you! This article makes no sense especially with that picture.

Curved GLASS or curved BODY at the edges of the iPhone? Not very clear...

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
A curved display would make sense as it makes it easier to reach the top of the device. Also it would help apple to keep their one handed use statement.

Apple never do unnecessary things (not on purpose anyway). There is a thought behind everything and for that I do admire them.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
All is OK maybe, except on the reasons for the delay on the 5.5" "variant", an bigger device usually means less complication, and bigger batteries easy brings great battery life (as my old Note II) not a big challenge really to bring an scaled up version of a device, the physics use to play on favor.

About an All Aluminum Body, maybe not 100% aluminum or not being aluminum at all, as the HTC One M8, its impossible to bring a 100% aluminum unibody, minimal plastic inserts for the antennas are required, so the prototype back body, only maybe for an iPod Touch.

And about the iPod Touch, for gaming a bigger screen and big battery are a must, iTunes has very good titles but neither the current iphone nor ipod touch are good for long gaming (due the small screen and poor battery life), so to aim at the portable console markets Apple only need to provide us with an bigger iPod touch with more efficient cpu and screen and a much bigger battery for at leas 3hr of hardcore gaming (current iDevices death at 90" as much being optimistic) .

So: Curved iPhone: YES *maybe* (I agree on the concept that allow for an easier to one hand interact by a curved display) but I don't see the supply chain for such screen yet, while the smaller curved screen for the iWach is very likely and LG maybe manufacturing, so a curved 4.7" screen maybe produced at Area 51 at least, elsewhere some info must be leaked now.

and I Think that Apple Will launch the Bigger Gaming iTouch for Xmas season along the updated iPads at the same event at 4Q.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Yes, it is pretty clear that what is being reported is that the screen will have a convex curve around the edges to meet the back panel in a flush manner.

That is what the article is trying to express, NOT that the screen will have a slight concave curve that runs the length of the display.

My question is where is yet another rendering that "reimagines" the design with this new information?

Come on MacRumors! Commission another rendering! ��

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.