Report Claims iPhone X Sales Not as Strong as Expected in the U.S.

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

You know, when it comes down do it most of the Huawai’s of the world do much of the same thing at a lower price point. Their quality is poor but improving and there aren’t as many bells and whistles. If you want a Galaxy, get a Galaxy. My friend has a Pixel and loves it. Apple has my vote because of the security, the infrastructure and the support. I’ve heard nothing but bad from people I’ve talked to that have had to deal with Samsung tech support. Apple support is far from perfect - but if you want frustration - try dealing with Dell as a non-business customer. It’s a fact of life that decent support costs $$$ these days. I had a problem with a Netgear router that they had a fix for and wouldn’t release it because I wasn’t on support.. yet someone else that was still under the 90 day initial purchase got it for free.
    Pay me now or pay me later.

2. askep3 macrumors member

True, but most skeptics have been pleased

3. Virinprew macrumors 6502

And what? You still pay $1000 in the end.

4. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

“Obvious”

5. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Not surprised in the slightest. Numerous Face-ID fails, iOS 11 is a complete ****-show filled with all sorts of bugs, nobody wants that ugly notch on their phone, lack of a headphone jack, absurdly expensive at $1,000 and Apple fails to listen to its customers once again.

Apple is getting more and more elitiest and out of touch by the day.

6. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Nice to see you've just completely ignored the part where the op said "...decided to skip this year not because money is the issue" and you're just being your usual antagonistic self Delvecchio.

7. pika2000 macrumors 68040

The sold-out Galaxy Note pre-orders, and the lines at Apple store Singapore said otherwise.
    Also consider back in 2004, there's a Moto RAZR V3, selling at $500 WITH 2 year contract, and it was selling like hotcakes. A $1k modern smartphone without contract is not really that out of the ordinary.

8. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

But also original poster has an iPhone 7. Frankly it gets harder and harder each year to make enough gains in one year to get someone to replace last year's iPhone. Apple succeed with the original poster, but for many people (and I know folks who make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year who this applies to) there just hasn't been enough improvement to justify the spend. Or, frankly this is more significant to them than the money as they will never notice the money in their normal monthly budget, the hassle of setting up a new phone.

The X is great. And it is overpriced. Those two things can both be true.

9. Unami, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

but only 2nd generation touch-id. on my 5s i probably have to type in my passcode more often than not. retraining doesn‘t help either.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2017 ---
    there‘s probably some bias to justify a 1000€+ purchase after the fact.
    yup, they raised their prices by 100% over a few years, far beyond inflation. hard to believe that a top-of-the-line phone (or laptop) is now twice as expensive to manufacture (and justifies double the margin) as it was seven years ago. they seem to revert to pre-jobs-times. a largely expanded product line, more complexity in software, less attention to details and higher prices.
    face id has a chance of 1:1000000 of being unlocked by a stranger. so if they sell 70 millions of those phones, 70 of them will be unlocked by a stranger at the first try. as some iphones probably see hundreds of strangers every day (e.g. the iphone of a shop owner lying on a sales desk), there will be a lot of false positives, especially because you just have to be in the vicinity of the phone to trigger an unlock-attempt. so, comparing 1:50000 (touch-id) to 1:1000000 with faceid is a bit misleading, because it‘s a different unlocking mechanism. either way, if you want to keep your phone secure, you won‘t use biometrics anyway, faceID and the likes are just a tradeoff between security and convenience

The failure rate will definitely be higher with family members - which doesn‘t have to mean that people‘s personal pattern-recognition („your daughter looks like you“) works the same way the iphone‘s machine learning does.

10. mscice macrumors 6502

I think apple slowly will realize that demand is low and they will lower their prices. Phone is more expensive than a laptop crazy...

In my opinon nothing will replace touch id, not only its easy to unclock ur phone just by reaching into your pocket but its more secure than fave id.

11. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The iPhone has always been more expensive than even mid range windows tablets and more reccently was more expensive than the 11 inch MBA before they discontinued it.

12. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

What value does iPhone X adds that iPhone 8 can't or any other phones can't? I am kinda intrigued to know that. Please don't tell me face ID or dual camera in vertical position or animoji adds superior value to our life.

13. somethingelsefl macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

I hate to bust to your bubble, but a "good product" for a publicly-traded company is only defined by one thing: sales.

14. 827538 macrumors 65816

I can afford it fine, I actually bought one but sold it. I just can’t justify the price tag to myself. The support is no different to much cheaper iPhones.

Exactly, so I’m not buying it. First time in 9 years I’ve not bought a new iPhone. Also I heard the X sales are simply ok, nothing spectacular.

15. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Cool cool. To each their own. I’ve heard one reason for the high price may be the amount they had to pay to Samsung for the displays. Jon Gruber (Daring Fireball) had a podcast where this was mentioned where Apple pays a 20 or so dollars more equaling 100.00 for the OLED displays.

Higher than what Samsung mobile is charged by the display division for using the displays. I thought it was interesting that the divisions in Samsung charge themselves for components TLDR version is that Apple past the cost off in the price of the X to keep margins in tact.