Report Claims iPhone X Sales Not as Strong as Expected in the U.S.

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Not my reason for not getting one. I went into an Apple Store to trigger my upgrade program, the phone is nicely built but I was surprised at how much smaller it felt than my plus. With the smaller screen it felt like a downgrade... I’m going to hang on for the X+ First year I’ve not upgraded.

2. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

When youtuber MKBHD places the Note 8 as the overall best phone of the year....you know Apple has a problem. Marketing a phone on wonky face ID and slowing down all of the older iPhones wasn't so smart.

3. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

So I guess Deeds500 wasn't too far off from calling the iPhone X a flop.

Well, it isn't exactly a flop. 30-35M sold in one quarter is a success. But it's like The Last Jedi, it may not live up to its high expectations. And perhaps just smartphone fatigue. People stopped caring...

The news of throttlegate doesn't help. It's like Apple is screwing us over with the prices and again with battery wear and tear slowdowns on the CPU.

Rolling snake eyes with us feeling the snake bites.

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

“No person in their right mind would pay $1k for a device they use every single day and that adds value to their lives”

5. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

He's not alone. I would have bought an X with Touch ID on the side or under the display (certainly not on the back lol).

You can tell me til the end of all this how great Fafe ID is, and I may eventually find myself forced to get an iPhone that has it. But I skipped this time, and may continue skipping. I'm not alone. There are probably millions is us.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---

Like removing headphone jack and touch ID keeps me from buying a new iPhone, taking away magsafe and ports from the new MacBook has kept me from buying one for three (4?) years.

They ARE losing sales with this BS.

6. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

That's your choice, Apple knows that they can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. As for sales, Mac, iPhone and iPad sales are all up, in fact there was and i quote "record marketshare gain for iPad, iPhone, and Mac" at the Q4 earnings call for this year, it doesn't sound like they are losing sales to me in fact the opposite.

$25.8 billion in revenue for the Mac
    • Driven by strong demand for MacBook Pro

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...cted-in-the-u-s.2096582/page-11#post-25632016

7. MH01 Suspended

MH01

do you think that a few posters on here are coming across as a tad arrogant with the notion that they can afford one and the complainers are jealous cause they are too "poor"?

Price is only one for the reasons why people may not upgrade. Between x and 8 ..... pros / cons ....

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Don't know if this story is true or not, but this is the first phone I have not seen yet in the hands of either clients, co-workers or friends. Will be interesting to see if that changes after Christmas.

I personally think the price is outrageous. The last phone I bought was the iPhone 6S 128gb at £699.00 and felt that was dear. To cope with mapping and music storage requirements that would need to be replaced with the 256gb version at £1,149.00. By the time you have added accessories (bluetooth headphones being more essential these days) you're looking at £1500.00 plus. This is more like the cost of a MPB than a phone.

9. Shanghaichica, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Marques is an android fan and only has an iPhone as a secondary phone. He’s made no secret of this over the years. Despite him saying the note 8 is his best phone of the year he is still using a pixel XL because he likes stock android.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2017 ---
    Removing Touch ID and a headphone jack has not deterred me from buying new iPhones. However I prefer to have ports on my computers so I hope when my 11 inch MBA kicks the bucket the 13 inch is still around. However I dislike windows more than I dislike not having ports.

10. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

Wait, whaaaaat? It’s too bad you weren’t around when I bought a Mac IIci like 25 years ago. It came with blazing speed of 25MHz and cost about $5k THEN...

I know people it’s hard, really really hard to just speak from your own perspective rather than forecast what the rest of us are doing.

Cool?

11. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Why is this even a topic of conversation? They didn’t sell as many as “analysts” thought they would. So what? I bought the 8+ because (1) my 6s+ was starting to act strangely, (2) I personally don’t like going more than 2 cycles without a technology refresh, (3) the X is a new design with bugs to work out of it, (4) I can go to the X if I want to after 12 months when all the bugs are worked out. For those that bought the X, I’m happy it worked out for you. The sales push will come in 12 months when the next gen comes out.
    Oh, and for android fanboys, you don’t live in a Mac world. Sorry, I like devices that fit into my infrastructure quite nicely, and you may want to look at your device’s security. Ever hear of an iPhone getting a virus? If an Android makes you happy, more power to you !!!

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

That’s true. The first gen Apple Watch was branded a flop and now the same analysts are labelling it a roaring success.

13. Aeromech macrumors member

I’m loving Face ID so far. Had my X since release day and rarely has it not recognized me. When it doesn’t all I do is tip it down and back up and it then recognizes me without having to put in my passcode.
    I also do some pretty rough work with my hands at times and get pretty grimy along with nicks scrapes. I had days where the only way I could get in my 6s plus was to enter my passcode. Face ID alone will be a big factor in future upgrades for me.

14. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Hi

This is just regarding your signature.....

“Whose” is not the short for ‘who is’. It should be ‘ who’s ‘

15. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Exactly... and you hit it right on the head. “I predicted you would move 20 million units. You only moved 19m. Sales are not as strong as expected”.

Funny you should mention Apple Watch - I can honestly say, right now, I’m thinking of going out in a couple of hours and picking up a series 1 Apple Watch (today (12/24) of all days, of course). My Nighthawk just broke and I have to send it out for service, which means it’s gone for at least 2-3 weeks. I was just going to get a burner watch to tide me over, but for $200 I’ll consider a Series 1 since I’ve always wanted one anyway and the price point is right, plus I need a watch now. Last time I didn’t think it was worth it. Now it may be.

16. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

I would just like to say "thank you" to the asian markets for seeing things for what they really are and choosing to go another way. Apple will be a better company in the long run if people continue to vote with their dollars and shareholders oust the current administration. Cook can spread his nonsense all over late night tv, (again, another display of how he wants nothing to do with advancing tech, but just stroke his own ego), it exposes him for the undeserving fraud he is.

17. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

Apple knowing customers getting smarter and smarter hence would keep increasing the price every other release to offset the reduced sales numbers. They know the market for flagship is not increasing.

Consumers also need to be big more smart by trying out cost effective options.

For $1000 there are options available but Pixel mobiles cannot match volume (& their service and support nowhere near Apple), only Samsung & Huawei come check closer but with the disadvantage of delayed updates.

Apple as such won't worry much is sales numbers are low, so long their profits keep increasing. They also offset with new product portfolios like Apple Watch, Air Pod etc...
    All smartphones add value to our lives just the way $1000($1300-$1500 in many places) mobile does.

Dispassionate & objective evaluation of features, flexibilities, performance,needs,style,service, support etc...and making a suitable decision is different from buying a mobile for $1000(or more) then finding reasons to justify its value. Nothing right or wrong but just the views are different.

18. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

iPhone X Plus with a more wide-angle and landscape-able Face ID in early Spring 2018 will push sales, I promise.

Edit: for the same price as the current iPhone X. "Normal" iPhone X must become cheaper.

19. willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

Agreed, the only reason I own one is because I got it for $700 like new, i’ve never been able to save nearly $400 after taxes on an iPhone that was just released a month or two ago... it’s a good phone, but definitely not worth retail

20. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

If Apple wanted stronger sales, how about a more practical price point? If the X were $899, talk about demand. Duh... just put the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone, and get rid of the dumb face id, and the customer can save money with actually better functionality.

21. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

That's a broad judgment of people. Without knowing their individual circumstances, it comes off as arrogant and presumptive to think to know what's best financially for a person you don't know.

Exhibit A.

Spending anything over $200 (no contract) for a smartphone is insane. I got an iPhone SE (no contract, total cost) for under $200.

To anyone reading, I hope that you can see that the irony was intentional. For every person who thinks that $X is an insane price, there are others looking over their shoulders thinking $X-$300 is an insane price. ;)

22. triton100 macrumors 6502

It’s a computer first. A cell phone second. People spend way more on computers. For people who need a high end camera. A high end video camera. Business use on the go. People shoot Hollywood movies on this thing now. I could go on and on. Safe to say many think it’s very much worth it.

23. UL2RA Suspended

The S6 doesn’t take 4K 60 FPS video, doesn’t have dual optical lenses, doesn’t have the best calibrated AMOLED display of any phone to date, and the A11 takes a steamy dump all over those 8 cores in the S6. Comparing cores and camera resolution while ignoring all the other details surrounding those things shows extreme ignorance. These comparisons are incredibly silly.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The S6 is also not water resistant. The S6 doesn’t have a dual lens camera system. The S6 doesn’t have Face ID.

25. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Being unhappy with the change is OK. Calling it a Fail, because you subjectiveky preferred the older method, isn't ok. Give other, less subjective arguments.