Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoubhik88

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Why? Unless you’re speaking of bit-torent-style downloads. In which case, your reaction is entirely understandable.

People stream now and don’t download nearly as much. Most people have interenet connected devices. It’s entirely plausible. Especially if it pushes revenue towards a (more profitible?) streaming service. Music is not an industry that I’d want to be in though - in any capacity.
What if you are in an area without internet service?
What if you dj as well and need to have the tracks on a device?
I know how apple likes to disrupt the system and introduce new solutions to problems that we didn't know were a problem like lack of DVD drive on macs (didn't even miss it), new rumors about losing apple headphone jack (ok fine, I actually own a pair of Audeze headphones and use a lightning cable now for music) BUT this new rumor sounds stupid as hell.

I don't even use apple music, I actually use Sirius XM to get music because Im into electronic music and its the best source besides spotify.
When you say "most" people have internet connection what about streaming costs for customers? I personally still have unlimited data on my iPhone but a lot of people don't. Yes apple probably will cut a deal with the wireless companies and they will actually love this move because it benefits them, but seriously there are little to no positive outcomes from this move and puts them at risk for people who are less invested in apple products to detract from the walled garden.

Dental Student and Electronic Dance Music Producer
Instagram: IamRubix
Macbook Late 2013 16 RAM 1tb Storage 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, iPhone 6 64gb, iPad Air2 16gb
NYU College of Dentistry
Itunes Link to latest release: https://itunes.apple.com/bs/album/dopamine-single/id1114175836
Beatport Link: http://classic.beatport.com/track/dopamine-original-mix/7949112

Reactions: Rus3110

Rus3110

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
I've spent hundreds if not thousands building my Library, and the thought that they could just take it away is sickening. I mean, I know I will have the opportunity to save it all, but that is NOT why I use Itunes. I use it for the instant access. The amount of music I consume I would rather buy one album a month than pay for a subscription. This is ludicrous. I'll be porting over to a google phone if this happens, where I can upload my library to google play for free.
[doublepost=1465470121][/doublepost]
I'll go somewhere else then. I'm not always on a network where I can stream, and don't always want to use my data plan to listen to music. What is one to do on a plane if they don't want to pay for an expensive WiFi plan? I doubt this will ever happen, but it's a stupid move if it does.

You can still save apple music stuff to your phone temporarily for offline listening. I am with you though, I prefer to buy one album a month than pay subscription.

Reactions: kalsta and duervo

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I've spent hundreds if not thousands building my Library, and the thought that they could just take it away is sickening. I mean, I know I will have the opportunity to save it all, but that is NOT why I use Itunes. I use it for the instant access. The amount of music I consume I would rather buy one album a month than pay for a subscription. This is ludicrous. I'll be porting over to a google phone if this happens, where I can upload my library to google play for free.
[doublepost=1465470121][/doublepost]

You can still save apple music stuff to your phone temporarily for offline listening. I am with you though, I prefer to buy one album a month than pay subscription.

Nobody is taking your library away from you. If you purchased music and/or added music from CDs, etc. to your iTunes library, it will not go away! It sounds like you will not be able to purchase/download new content from the iTunes store to your library.

WillGonz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
As long as they keep Music Match and allow the ability to download for off the grid play I am fine with it. And more artists would have to go with streaming and they should pay them more.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but if it is then I'll end up going back to pirating music since I'm not going to use streaming.

paross

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Kentucky
This would make zero sense for many users. I have limited data on my phone, so I don't stream music because I hate watching my data usage like I have to watch my checking account.

The ONLY music I can listen to at work is music on my personal device in my personal library, because streaming is not allowed.

Plus, I think of times where I want to use music for a presentation or I see a DJ play music at a wedding. How should they handle a situation where they're playing at an outdoor farm with poor cellular reception and no WiFi?

Killing downloads to try and pad subscription services is TERRIBLE for the consumer. I know Tim Cook gets a fat bonus for his work in padding Apple's profit margins, but I swear I'll dump Apple completely if they don't quit with this anti-consumer bull.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
If it's because you can't access the Internet everywhere you're in a fast-shrinking minority.

Not having access to fast, reliable, cheap internet connectivity is the reality for most of the population. Cell data plans are expensive and not unlimited. If you travel, roaming data is crazy expensive. Even wired connectivity can be nuts. My office is 500' from a residential neighborhood. Yet, I had to pay $10K to get fiber run to the building and I'm paying $1K/month for 10/10.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Eliminate paid music downloads so we can listen to music when we don't have an internet connection ... well, I guess it's time to go back to the hassle of searching for "illegal" music on the internet. What a bummer, the convenience and low price of iTunes music downloads made it not worth the hassle to comb the internet looking for "illegal" music ... back to the shadows I guess :(

mildmannered

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
Devon, England
To be honest, I mostly prefer to buy the CD's anyway. More often than not they are the same price and you essentially have a backup. I've bought the odd album when its a bit niche, pre-ordered or cheaper, but I'll just stick to the old way I think! The UI for Spotify is nearly as bad as the iOS media player!

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I don't usually comment on much or get involved in small subjects that only effect the minority but for this, if it happens, I'm done with Apple.

I will not stream music. I want to download and own my music. I prefer to pay to do that. Apple, you may appeal to 70% of the market by going stream only but I guarantee it'll be another kindle experience where people will want to own the music again and be able to 'feel it'.

Reactions: Ebenezum and kalsta

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Very sad if this is true. It's one thing to feel locked into the iTunes ecosystem by our own choice to invest in it… it's quite another for Apple to pull the rug right out from under us.
No more iTunes downloads. No more music purchases from me. I don't want Apple Music.
Agreed. This news has given me one more reason NOT to resubscribe to Apple Music. If Apple is basing this decision on the growing popularity of its own streaming service, then I'll use my one vote to say 'no thanks'.

Reactions: matjamca

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
From Apple Music - "You can download music on up to 10 devices. These songs are accessible only during your Apple Music membership."

Paying a monthly streaming service for life - NO THANKS - just let me buy it and download it permanantly to my devices.
You are going to have to follow the original post that I quoted. There is context. I'm not discounting the merits of ownership.
[doublepost=1465535614][/doublepost]
No more iTunes downloads. No more music purchases from me. I don't want Apple Music.
Umm.... I think you don't quite understand the point of not selling downloads. Obviously you can't buy any more downloads because Apple won't let you.

How does this sound "I'm not going to buy anymore of what Apple no longer sells" ... And you say it as if it's a threat they should take seriously.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
So thats' that. We've finally arrived at the concept of zero ownership. Thankfully, over the last couple years, I realized just how silly it is throwing money away to "lease" something that isn't mine and starting buying physical albums again. Call me uncool or old fashioned all you want. I'll call you foolish. lol

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
CD sales may make a comeback if Apple ditches downloads.... I know I'm not "renting" music given how much I hate most new music (and radio in general).

Reactions: Seifensieder

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The simple fact is - if you have a physical copy of the music and/or create your own file - you "own" it. And barring a data issue or someone breaking into your house and stealing it - you will continue to own it in perpetuity.

All (not just Apple's) of these services whether it's video or audio are in possession of the material with "unlimited" access. However - here's the thing. If the service gets shut down, internet is out, they lose the license, or some other factor - you're out of luck. While I love uploading my music to the cloud - I don't rely on it or would choose it as my only option forgoing a "physical" copy locally. I do enjoy my Google Play Music account and have been able to listen to pretty much anything I want for a low price. But I know that it's possible that what I listen to today, if I click on that song tomorrow might not be there. And actually, I've bought several songs/albums I would never have if it weren't for the streaming services.

I think they work well in tandem. I don't thing streaming-only is a good business model for the music industry.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I'm actually surprised some people on this thread have posted comments claiming that downloadable music is from the past. I guess they must live in a place that has wifi or great cellular service 24/7.

I always prefer to buy my music so I can store it locally on my phone or iPad. I have unlimited data but don't always have the greatest reception. Especially at my job.

I do have a apple music subscription but I still like the option of owning an album that I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I posted this elsewhere as well:
I think this would be bad for the music industry, at least musicians. How much does it cost Apple to host all those (DRM free!) songs on the iTunes store compared to all the apps, films and Apple music files that are already hosted? Would they want to cut off all support for the iPod line? Goodbye iPod nano and shuffle and even Touch probably! What about musicians who would not want to have their songs available streaming only, does Apple want to lose them? Some die-hards like Led Zeppelin and ACDC have only recently started allowing downloads (though also streaming as well). So many questions.

In terms of the ecosystem I am largely happy with Apple, I like ios and feel most apps are of high quality, and think Apple has the right stance on user privacy. I also am most likely to upgrade my old Win 7 PC for an iMac. However I would certainly cancel Apple music and look elsewhere for music - even buying CDs again - if this comes to pass. Then again maybe I'm a dinosaur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.