Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
Why? Unless you’re speaking of bit-torent-style downloads. In which case, your reaction is entirely understandable.

People stream now and don’t download nearly as much. Most people have interenet connected devices. It’s entirely plausible. Especially if it pushes revenue towards a (more profitible?) streaming service. Music is not an industry that I’d want to be in though - in any capacity.

I have tried streaming at home and was left with an overwhelming "meh". I will never stream music (or anything else) with my iPhone because there is no way I am running the risk of going over my data allotment.

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
If apple is perhaps leaking this idea out to judge public opinion on this matter, let me be clear. This is the wrong way to go, and I will become a full te Amazon customer for my music purchases. I am not a millenial, and yes my history goes back to records and 8-track technology. My first recorded music purchase was a 78 rpm record, so maybe I'm biased in my opinion that personal ownership of music is my only choice. I am a musician, both performing and working as an educator. I cannot envision my future with music relying on a streaming catalogue to supply me with what I want. I have spent a lifetime gathering music, both popular and obscure, and take great pride in my collection. Many parts of my collection are not, and will probably never be a part of apple's streaming catalogue. In fact when I find music that I'm interested in purchasing, I go to iTunes first, and about 50% of the time it's not there. However when it is there, I support iTunes and purchase my desired music from Apple. I am a huge Apple fan, but this is a bad, bad idea. If anyone from Apple is reading this, please, please don't get rid of purchased downloads.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Why is it that in the last few years, Apple kills off only the things that are truly great: like the 17" MBP for example. I understand that not many people bought 17" laptops... But die hard apple fans did. The same die hard fans who promote apple to the world more than any apple marketing effort. Furthermore, watch any Hollywood film from say... 2005-2012. If there's a computer appearing in the film, 9 times out of 10, it's a 17" MBP.

Downloading music is no different. Even if sales dwindle, the fact remains that some people want to actually own something rather than pay for access via streaming. Apple should pay more attention to the core supporters of their products. 17" MBP and now this. Steve would not approve.

17" MBP Talk. A laptop few bought and Apple killed. Like any business would for a poor selling item.

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
If that happens and they don't provide a worthwhile experience for those who keep their collections, ripped CDs, downloads or whatever, I'll leave iTunes behind.

And the less programs there are that keep me interested in Mac and iOS...
Go figure.

Maybe it's not all that bad that Apple keeps ****ing up...
Gets rid of a lot of the emotional attachment, switching will be a bit easier should it become necessary.

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: (I know iTunes is on Windows, but you know... iTunes for Windows right...)
I completely agree with you....!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I'm trying to cut back on subscriptions in an effort to simplify my life. If Apple makes streaming their only option, then I know of at least one customer that they will lose. Based on other comments I've read, I won't be the only one. I really hope Apple doesn't make this move.
How does canceling Netflix "simplify your life"? If you're overwhelmed by a few subscriptions you have more problems.

Reactions: bpeeps

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I prefer to buy my music. Streaming is OK, but when their services are down, so is my music.
Ridiculous statement. NEVER have had Spotify go offline. Even if it did, I have my playlists setup to have a huge amount of stuff in offline mode ready. You've been in Apple bizzaro land too long friend, 16 GB base iPhone and "offline=no music" paranaio have twisted your logic.

JustinGN

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
...possibility that top executives may “double down” their expressed commitment to the format...

If they were seriously committed to the format, then where is my...

1. Lossless ALAC download format
  2. Single, unified music store
  3. Global, not regional, metadata
Seriously, the reason I still buy/import CDs and hand-rip is because iTunes is notoriously bad at gathering metadata outside your store region, offers no CD-quality download option, and continues to insist on unique stores for each country, rather than strong-arm record companies into a single, universal storefront with regional charts. I'm sick and tired of importing (at significant expense) CDs from overseas just because nobody wants to offer the downloads for sale domestically in any sensible format. It's why I clung to my Zune for so long (because at least their metadata catalog was worldwide, not region-restricted).

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
8dc3c5cf72f8329b33dc5dad3b761a0c.png

Downloads gone?

3873a39776191b67a7ace438089819b2.png
0cc4d265c90689bc5d0f58f704daba64.png
579188ec1bfd151002a60faa7a476530.png

Apple farewell!
1a010db8ee92e120595b5b8977a8328e.png

Last edited:

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I'm surprised so many people on here are clinging to the old model. Where you upset about losing the floppy and the CD too? What is so great about "owning"* your music in digital format? I understand the draw of physical media but the only difference here is you pay a flat $10/month. If it's because you can't access the Internet everywhere you're in a fast-shrinking minority.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Amazon would be so happy if this happens.

Apple is not the only source of music.

Haven't used iTunes Store in years, only Amazon MP3. So wouldn't bother me.

If apple is perhaps leaking this idea out to judge public opinion on this matter, let me be clear. This is the wrong way to go, and I will become a full te Amazon customer for my music purchases. I am not a millenial, and yes my history goes back to records and 8-track technology. My first recorded music purchase was a 78 rpm record, so maybe I'm biased in my opinion that personal ownership of music is my only choice. I am a musician, both performing and working as an educator. I cannot envision my future with music relying on a streaming catalogue to supply me with what I want. I have spent a lifetime gathering music, both popular and obscure, and take great pride in my collection. Many parts of my collection are not, and will probably never be a part of apple's streaming catalogue. In fact when I find music that I'm interested in purchasing, I go to iTunes first, and about 50% of the time it's not there. However when it is there, I support iTunes and purchase my desired music from Apple. I am a huge Apple fan, but this is a bad, bad idea. If anyone from Apple is reading this, please, please don't get rid of purchased downloads.
Once Apple get started, all others will follow like a domino. Anyway good luck to who likes to be modern and ties himself to eternal subscriptions.

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
17" MBP Talk. A laptop few bought and Apple killed. Like any business would for a poor selling item.

I already explained this. But you skipped that portion of my analysis. Consider how much value Hollwood films provided to Apple by showcasing the 17" MBP in like literally every single movie featuring a computer from 2005-2012. I'm a business owner too and sometimes there are aspects to profit that extend beyond simply sales volume.

Pissing off your core audience, for example is probably not the best way for Apple to gain marketshare.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
I thought the whole point of iTunes was that you "owned" the songs... Why don't I just switch to Spotify if this is what's going to happen...

Pretty much all companies in all fields are moving towards the payments for life system where you own nothing. Car manufacturers are investing money in car sharing/renting, Adobe wants you to rent their software and never own it, phone companies want you to rent a phone forever, and eventually I suspect music providers will want you to rent music too and not even have the chance to "own" it. There are probably many more examples in other industries that I cannot think of off hand, but I'm sure others can chime in.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Not really a big deal (you already don't "own" it when you purchase/download it from iTunes - or really any other means). Sure you can burn them when you purchase and you "can't" when you get it through Apple Music... but not much real difference to the masses here. If you burn then rip the cd back onto iTunes (removing the DRM) I believe that is technically pirating according to the iTunes EULA.

Now if they mean not being able to have an offline copy... I refuse to be forced to use an overpriced cellular data plan to listen to music on any platform.

If they eliminate importing as well, there are plenty of other "fish in the sea".

Would be very ironic to go back to carrying a phone -and- a media player all because of stupid decisions by the company that made that paradigm obsolete...

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001 and amirite

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I still buy 95% of my music in CD format and rip lossless copies for iTunes. The other 5% is the odd song I want for a workout mix or something (i.e. the kind of music I wouldn't buy a full album of). Totally uninterested in streaming. I tried Apple Music for a month during the free trial. Hated it.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I prefer to buy CDs because I prefer lossless quality, but I often download when I don't intend to get the whole album. Getting rid of downloads sounds like a terrible idea, but this is the future of digital media. Streaming, renting, and borrowing. Not owning.

What happens when I want to listen to music in a place with no wi-if and weak or no LTE? (yes, these places exist). I don't want to have to rely on an Internet connection for everything.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I welcome this. Go to Amazon if you want to live in the past.

Please explain to me how wanting to own your music is living in the past? Me I see advantage in both owning and streaming, and don't see why either of them should go away.

It's happened more than once that music that I listen to was removed from Spotify or Apple music, but when that happen I can just go and listen to my bought and downloaded version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.