Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recent reports of Apple cutting iPhone 12 mini production to increase manufacturing capacity for the more popular iPhone 12 Pro were corroborated on Friday by DigiTimes, citing supply chain sources.

iphone-12-vs-iphone-12-mini.jpg

Today's report suggests that Apple's smallest iPhone 12 model was launched to target the U.S. and European markets, but the global health crisis has impacted sales in these territories, leading to a slowdown in iPhone 12 mini orders.
Pegatron has seen a slowdown in orders for the iPhone 12 mini as sales of the model in the US and Europe are affected negatively by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to industry sources.

The sources pointed out that the iPhone 12 mini is targeting mainly consumers in the US and Europe, but overall smartphone sales there have been significantly undermined by the pandemic.
The report suggests that strong demand for iPhone 12 Pro models in China has led Apple to strengthen its supply of the more expensive devices in response. The East Asian market historically favors larger form factor devices, and China has not been seriously impacted by the pandemic in recent months compared to other parts of the world.

Pegatron is the main producer of the iPhone 12 mini, and the above factors have combined to reduce demand for the device at the Taiwanese manufacturer's expense.

On Wednesday, a Morgan Stanley investment note claimed that Apple has shifted production away from the iPhone 12 mini for the first quarter of 2021, in an effort to combat continuing lead times for the more popular ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌.

The note supported previous analysis that the ‌iPhone 12 mini‌ has suffered from lackluster sales, capturing just six percent of the total ‌‌iPhone 12‌‌ sales during the launch period, despite broad satisfaction reported by owners of the smaller device.

Meanwhile, a separate DigiTimes report today indicates that Foxconn expects to see increased momentum in the first quarter of this year, thanks to Apple increasing orders of the iPhone 12 Pro models.

In a more positive note for Apple, the popularity of its Pro devices in China have reportedly eaten into Huawei's dominant market share in the region:
Huawei, the largest smartphone brand in China, has seen its smartphone sales being bitten off by Apple's Pro series products in the past few months with Apple now the second largest 5G handset brand globally, behind only Huawei, the sources said.

Article Link: Reports of Lackluster iPhone 12 Mini Sales Corroborated By Supply Chain Sources

Last edited:

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I suppose the people who would buy an iPhone 12 mini will largely be happy with the iPhone SE. The difference in capabilities is much less than the difference in money.

And "six percent of total iPhone 12 sales" isn't that bad, and it's money in Apple's pockets, because these 6 percent wouldn't have wanted a bigger iPhone.

Comment

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020
I really wanted the Mini to succeed.

The iPhone 11 Pro’s 5.8 inch screen is an absolutely perfect “compact” phone for 2021 & it’s a shame how that is the specific size Apple decided to discontinue.

The concept of a compact entry-level iPhone in a 5.8 inch chassis would have been a far greater success I think.

Comment

MaunzKuh

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
Sad, I love mine and three out of four friends with an iPhone 12 love theirs, too. Perfect size coming from an iPhone 8 which I had bought because I found the X too big. I really hope Apple will keep the form factor around, but I guess hoping for a mini Pro is hopeless.

Comment

MiniApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
I wanted a compact powerful iPhone with a decent camera without spending a fortune.

Here the SE 2020 is half the price of the 12 Mini, has Touch ID in pandemic times and no ugly notch.
It was also released half a year earlier in a similiar size.

Personally I've held out upgrading from my OG SE and waited till the 12 Mini was officially revealed.
Would have been tempted if the 12 Mini had Touch ID (somewhere) and no notch (even if it meant a bezel/bar).

Know almost 20 people who upgraded from their 6/6s/SE/7 and 8's to the SE since spring. Some of which would have gotten the 12 Mini had the known about it.
The vast majority of the people don't follow MacRumors and Co and had no idea a Mini was on the way.

Comment

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I typically don’t comment, but must say here this was easy to foresee. There’s just waaay to many models to choose from: SE, XR, 11, 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro and multiple storage configs for each.

Considering the price of the 12 mini, I can see why it would be lower on the pecking order of a potential buyer.
Just such a confusing line-up, which is a shame because 12 mini is a 12.

Comment

Misho Maisuradze

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I really wanted the Mini to succeed.

The iPhone 11 Pro’s 5.8 inch screen is an absolutely perfect “compact” phone for 2021 & it’s a shame how that is the specific size Apple decided to discontinue.

The concept of a compact entry-level iPhone in a 5.8 inch chassis would have been a far greater success I think.
I thought about that,and, 5.8 is great but it's too close to the 6.1" and doesn't make sense, that's why they went with the 5.4

Comment

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020
I thought about that,and, 5.8 is great but it's too close to the 6.1" and doesn't make sense, that's why they went with the 5.4

Fair point. Although from personal experience, as a person with medium-sized hands, I do have to say that the real-world usability difference between 5.8 and 6.1 is quite substantial.

For me, that extra little diagonal bump in size takes the iPhone from just about being a one-handed phone to definitely being a two-handed one.

I know that’s not the case with most people though, so I can’t say you’re wrong.

Comment

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
There is exactly one reason I haven't bought an iPhone Mini: no telephoto camera.

I use the "telephoto" on my 11 Pro Max 75% of the time. If the 12 Pro Mini had or if the next gen 13 Mini has a full array of cameras I will buy it.

Comment

B4rbelith

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
I like the mini a lot. I bought one for my wife, and am always surprised when I pick it up just how light it is. I have an 11 pro which I honestly think I could use as a murder weapon if I wanted to.
I think it will do well given time, and I’m sure Apple are not too concerned at the moment. Especially with many people unable to go in stores and get their hands on it.

Comment

Substance90

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
The mini is the perfect size. Me and my girlfriend upgraded from a 7 and a 6s and the bigger screen of the mini is definitely appreciated in a similar form factor. The 11 Pro was okaish but still slightly large. Anything else is horribly humongous.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
If anyone can tell me why the Mini, XR and SE all exist at the same time and what they mean, I’d be grateful.
The 2020 SE is the same as the 2016 SE: A last upgrade for the old model, with all the latest technology, in an old package, at a great price.

The XR is a large phone with FaceID but slightly outdated technology for a good price.

The Iphone 12 mini is the latest and greatest but fits into your pocket better. No competition with the XR.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.