Reports Suggest Ring Allowed Employees Unfettered Access to Customer Camera Feeds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kenbewick macrumors newbie

kenbewick

I asked for some support from them on an issue that was happening and received this request to give them access to my camera which I was not comfortable doing that:

Thanks for reaching out to Ring Community Support.

To help with your support request, Ring needs to access your video recordings. If you’d like to grant Ring access to video recordings from your Front Door for 24 hours, please provide the following code to your Community Support Agent:

XXXXXXX

If you didn’t request support and received this email in error, please call Ring Community Support at 800-656-1918.

Thanks,
    The Ring Team

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

If this is the same Ring-doorbell. than ya..

3. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Well if this isn't a GDPR violation, I don't know what is.

4. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

Funny. People buy these to make sure people don't remove physical objects from their homes..... Yet they are perfectly ok with any sound, images, data etc being transmitted in real time to servers anywhere in the world, right out of their own home. Crazy!

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I make it a point to only put cameras where they are never looking at anything personal, pointing out only. Let them look at my driveway all day long if they have nothing better to do.

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

non-http servers. I guess its like when its all bought to light as videos are more like "up there" as a personal feeling.. I mean who cares if non-personal info goes over http right ? You'd get more scared about personal info... It's the 'level' of privacy that matters

As more personal it becomes, our tolerant levels skyrockets.

The position of a camera shouldn't say "This makes me safer" because that just sayd " Your avoiding what the problem could be" anyway

No one would want employees looking at their photos, even with permission...

7. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

No regrets about letting all this “convenient smart home” stuff mature before I start dipping my toe in.

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Alexa, what do you think of Ring :).

Depending on where you have the cameras for Ring, I consider Alexa a greater danger to privacy.

9. Dame105 macrumors newbie

Dame105

A Google product....not watching, not listening? Oh dear :/

10. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Huh, it’s almost like putting an internet-connected spy camera / microphone in your home connected to some random server somewhere opens you up to breaches of your privacy. Weird!

11. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

Just make sure there's nothing reflective in your driveway.

Zoom in! Enhance!

12. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

13. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I don't trust Google with my privacy all that much, or at all, but they seem to run a tighter ship than Amazon. You don't hear about Google Home devices emailing private conversations to people.

14. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

While in principle I'm not a fan of this at all... But I mean.. if they really want to look out at my front porch I guess I really don't care that much... None of these cameras will make their way inside my house though.

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm not necessarily paranoid about this stuff but common sense tells me any of these services can likely view your camera feeds at anytime. If on my computer I fold a business card over them when not in use and as I said, point security cameras away from anything personal.

16. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

"Alexa, search 'video doorbell replacements' on amazon."

17. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

I don't know if there is a similar saying in english, but in my wifes language there is a saying that idiots are beaten even in church. Seems like the case here.

18. subjonas macrumors 68000

I couldn’t be less surprised.

We consumers seem to just assume companies are going to behave themselves when it comes to our privacy, I guess because the average person has no idea how to prove otherwise. Maybe I’m a cynic, but without accountability I assume misbehavior is a given. So I think it’s going to continue this way until we get a better accountability system in place (if possible).

19. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

In this day and age how could they possibly think this wouldn’t piss people off and try to plead ignorance or under the guise of innocent “support”.

I love technology, but seem to hate technology companies more and more every day.

20. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

So Amazon can watch the porch thief make off with your delivery and get a replacement on the way before you even miss it. Sounds like a great feature.

21. Dame105 macrumors newbie

Dame105

They allow Third Party app developers access to private email accounts & contents according to different reports middle of last year. It doesn't really matter which device allows or creates these data breaches. A breach is a breach.

22. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

So... one ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them?;)

23. C DM, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Given the timing of it all, seems like it was all happening well before Amazon acquired the company.

24. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

You might as well throw out the internet in your home then/
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    I agree but do have one in my home, right outside the garage entrance that’s a main hall way.. it’s just a hallway, so I don’t care.

The system works great so it’s a keeper for me.

25. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

And didn't notice or change anything that was going on. Either way it's ****ed up.