Reports Suggest Ring Allowed Employees Unfettered Access to Customer Camera Feeds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kamikrazee macrumors newbie

kamikrazee

I am almost numb to big companies spying on consumers, so I wasn't genuinely surprised at this, especially the insinuation that Amazon was involved. I was genuinely alarmed when Ukraine was mentioned. I realize that it is (ostensibly) an independent country, but you might as well have said that the lab was next door to the KGB Cyber Research Center.

2. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Is there a way to order a summary of persons I had sex with (my administration got wonky) ?

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

At least with Wyzecam, they're cheap. But Ring, Arlo, Nest, Ring, etc. are all crazy expensive for what they are. Might as well buy a regular Amcrest IP cam and a NVR (or any other brand), and control your own data. It's really not that much more, especially considering no monthly subscriptions ever with an NVR.

4. TooMuch macrumors newbie

This is not an issue because my floodlight cams audio suck. They will not be able to hear anything.

5. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Gross. Don't do that.

6. ajfahey macrumors regular

ajfahey

Walls work? Who knew?

7. MVMNT macrumors member

Looks like i'm not the only one who's first thought was "GDPR?"

8. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

eh, I beg to differ.
    Those were NEVER innocent to begin with.

9. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

Hope Jeff Bezo's doesn't have one of these, there might be even more pictures of his cheating coming out soon :eek:......

10. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

Why am I not surprised? Apple is one of the few consumer technology companies that actually cares about your privacy and to the extent that it hampers things like Siri I’m fine with it. I don’t believe that alone explains how far behind Siri is from it’s competitors but I do believe that is a part of it. That is why I remain a loyal customer. You get what you pay for. The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price.

11. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

We put 24/7 video and audio listening devices in our homes and are shocked by this? You think it's purely for convenience?

12. Commodore 64 macrumors member

This makes me think about the main headline in the news here in Norway right now. A lady has been kidnapped and the kidnappers demand $10 million (yeah, the family is rich) in the cryptocurrency monero. Some security experts got interviewed and one of the main advices was to regularly change your schedules to prevent kidnapping.

So I think this incident with Ring isn’t only about privacy, but about how easily criminals can get hold of information that can be misused. I see some jokes here about videos of driveways but if videos of your porch or driveway can be bought that’s a bad thing. I sure don’t want criminals having an easy time doing research on what times our family members leave and return.

Not that I have to be paranoid about it, I have way to little money to be of any interest to kidnappers, guess that goes for most of us anyway;)

13. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Firewall perhaps?

14. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

People don't get it.
    The only thing that bugs me is T-Mobile, AT&T, et al selling data to people. This you have no control because they are using E911 and cell data. As far as devices listening to you. There is no way, I would put a Ring, Alexa, etc in my house. There is no way I will put an internet connected TV with a camera in my house. Devices with audio/video capability will never be permanently connected to my home network. Even my laptop has a cover over the camera.

Yeah, call me paranoid, but they are watching and listening.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're owned by Amazon. Are we really that surprised.

16. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Definitely.
    I have a SonicWall to protect my network, both in and out.
    But it's sad that we need to block access on devices inside of our networks.

17. stylinexpat, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Perhaps Apple should make one that works with Apple products and link it to their iCloud. Would one made by Apple be more secure?
    What happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone? Will what happens at your doorstep stay at your doorstep?

18. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

I just get up off my lazy butt and answer the door so I don't have this problem that Window in the top of the door works amazing

19. ipponrg macrumors 65816

What did we learn here?

If you're worried about people accessing your cams, then educate yourself on technology.

Maybe it's better to run your own webcams + NAS set up than to use a 3rd party cam service.

20. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

And people hem and haw about how far ahead Alexa and Google are than Siri and HomeKit. This is why they are “ahead.” Ridiculous (for sale) access to your life. Enjoy that! I’ll stick with HomeKit until you give me proof that my life is for sale there.

21. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

And yet I bet you still buy stuff from Amazon...

If you don't like it don't buy Ring and more importantly don't shop at Amazon. They will get the hint and either change or go out of business. Both of which are a net win for us all.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Also put Amazon on your Do Not Shop list

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Is anyone even surprised? If something has a camera or microphone, I just assume someone is hacking or abusing it, or it has bugs that allow these things to happen.

23. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

99.5% of people don't know how or won't do this.