Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I just upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s today and have all the same email accounts, etc.

I had no issues with only requiring a passcode after 5 minutes on my 5, but now my only option is to require passcode immediately. Anybody else having trouble with this?

Although the fingerprint reader makes getting in fast and easy, it's nice to be able to swipe to respond to texts, etc.

Bob6stringer

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
I just upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s [etc., and the] only option is to require passcode immediately. Anybody else having trouble with this?

Yes. At first the additional "minutes options" were showing and choosable, but the second time I went into the setting, "immediately" was the only choice, and was grayed-out. The issue persisted even after I wipe & restored the 5S (due to other self-inflicted wounds).

I'm running the first-day v.7.0.1 update. I expect word'll get out and a fix will come in a few days with a v.7.0.2. Then again word got out on much bigger bugs (i.e., the entire "Maps" and "Podcasts" apps...I mean, where's the volume control on "Maps?!)...but this tiny little setting-fix s/b a no-brainer.:D

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
hm.. not sure about this but have you guys tried removing Touch ID fingerprints? might probably have the option to not require passcode immediately without Touch ID set up

JohnD3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Washington, DC
This precisely describes my experience - I had the usual options available when I first set up the phone but within a few minutes (before I'd even attempted to set up the fingerprint option) I was stuck with only "immediately".

The fingerprint option helps with this problem but most of the time I just want to pick up my phone and use it, not rest my finger on it until it recognizes me.

I did a bit of digging and found a posting about the same problem a couple of OSes ago. One solution is, "disable any Exchange mailboxes you have" (I have none); another is "do a restore" (I've done that, no joy); and finally someone suggested creating a new config file using iPhone Configuration Utility to force the full range of options back. I did that too and it didn't help.

Links, for those who're interested:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/11896575#11896575

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/962592/

----------

Same issue under discussion elsewhere here at

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1641407/

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Hah JohnD3 did all of that, with no luck. At least it may seem this is an early bug and is not just affecting me... Hopefully it will be sorted out sooner rather than later.

JohnD3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Washington, DC
But whaddya know. Go into 'fingerprints', flip off the "passcode unlock" toggle and bingo. There's the full range of delay times back again.

Interesting you can leave fingerprints *on* for iTunes, etc., while disabling for passcode lock. I may make that choice and stick with my old 4 hour option.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Yea but then the fingerprint unlock doesn't work lol.

But whaddya know. Go into 'fingerprints', flip off the "passcode unlock" toggle and bingo. There's the full range of delay times back again.

Interesting you can leave fingerprints *on* for iTunes, etc., while disabling for passcode lock. I may make that choice and stick with my old 4 hour option.

Reactions: teddhots

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012

Nice find, but then again, now I pretty much have an iPhone 5 again haha... Hopefully this gets fixed.

JohnD3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Washington, DC
Yea but then the fingerprint unlock doesn't work lol.

Well, not for unlocking but for purchases (or so it would seem), and that's better than having to type in my iTunes password all the time. Still it's a little odd, isn't it - why won't Apple just let us use fingerprints as a stand-in for entering the code, and let us keep the longer options that we had before? Why the *need* to make the passcode lock immediate?

I don't get it. But at least now I can choose to be no worse off than I was before, plus get to use my finger for music, etc.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am not sure this is a bug. I believe it is intention of Apple to make the phone more secure. Using TouchID is very fast and it doesn't matter if the code is required immediately. I don't even see my lock screen anymore if I want to. I just keep my finger on the home button after pressing it, and the phone goes directly into the home screen.

JohnD3

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Washington, DC
I am not sure this is a bug. I believe it is intention of Apple to make the phone more secure. Using TouchID is very fast and it doesn't matter if the code is required immediately. I don't even see my lock screen anymore if I want to. I just keep my finger on the home button after pressing it, and the phone goes directly into the home screen.

I don't quite understand this. A fingerprint is no less secure than a numeric code, and making "fingerprints" and "pass codes" identical for unlock purposes would seem to make no difference at all to security. Certainly the phones are no less secure. I suppose, yes, Apple is making the phone "more secure" by forcing immediate use of any code whenever fingerprints are active, but they're not patching an obvious gap they've opened by adding fingerprints, and are removing a sensible option from the user.

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I don't quite understand this. A fingerprint is no less secure than a numeric code, and making "fingerprints" and "pass codes" identical for unlock purposes would seem to make no difference at all to security. Certainly the phones are no less secure. I suppose, yes, Apple is making the phone "more secure" by forcing immediate use of any code whenever fingerprints are active, but they're not patching an obvious gap they've opened by adding fingerprints, and are removing a sensible option from the user.

I agree 100%. Requiring passcode immediately reduces functionality as I had described before (can't swipe to respond, etc). Doesn't quite make sense to me why this would be on purpose.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Yeah this is driving me nuts. Even if I disable fingerprints, I still don't have any time options. Only immediately.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yeah this is driving me nuts. Even if I disable fingerprints, I still don't have any time options. Only immediately.

I have revised the option and it is interesting to see that despite the fact that there is only one option (immediately), the grey text saying that shorter times are more secure is still being displayed. This means it could really be a bug. In the meantime you could just set the option for automatic lock from one minute (default) up to five minutes. I have set mine to two minutes.

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I have revised the option and it is interesting to see that despite the fact that there is only one option (immediately), the grey text saying that shorter times are more secure is still being displayed. This means it could really be a bug. In the meantime you could just set the option for automatic lock from one minute (default) up to five minutes. I have set mine to two minutes.

Good point about that grey text still being there. Wouldn't imagine it is there on purpose. About your auto lock alternative solution, only bad part is that you probably increase risk for inadvertent touches, "butt dials," etc. Thanks for the input.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The lock immediately makes sense. If it didn't apple would have to use the slider before it requires the finger print code again or it could unlock in your pocket.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I just upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s today and have all the same email accounts, etc.

I had no issues with only requiring a passcode after 5 minutes on my 5, but now my only option is to require passcode immediately. Anybody else having trouble with this?

Although the fingerprint reader makes getting in fast and easy, it's nice to be able to swipe to respond to texts, etc.

same problem. but seeing how a fingerprint scan takes 0.5 seconds im not too caught up about it.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
Also only seeing "immediately" option but text saying that shorter times are more secure is still there. Weird. :confused:

bobsaget123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
The lock immediately makes sense. If it didn't apple would have to use the slider before it requires the finger print code again or it could unlock in your pocket.

I really don't follow... The finger print is identical to entering a passcode for security purposes. I want to be able to slide to respond to texts, return calls, etc, without having to enter my passcode or fingerprint within a 2 minute duration of last locking my phone. Why should the entry of passcode or using finger print make a difference? I think it's a glitch as nobody can quite solve it, so hopefully it's addressed soon. Don't think there is much that anybody can really add to this thread now, so thank you all for your input and I will keep an eye out for a possible update.

deadwalrus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
If this is a "feature," it is really stupid. When I'm texting with someone, I push the "sleep" button to turn off my screen. When I receive a reply, I want to swipe to answer. I get that the fingerprint scanner is a lot easier than typing in a passcode, but when I'm having a conversation with someone I still do not want the slowdown every time I try to get back into my phone.

This needs to get fixed. Why remove our options? Just set "immediately" as the default and let people who are annoyed change it to "after 5 minutes" or whatever.

Really annoying.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Also only seeing "immediately" option but text saying that shorter times are more secure is still there. Weird. :confused:

Have you gone into the fingerprint settings menu and turned off the "passcode option"?

When I do that all the time options reappear.

deadwalrus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Have you gone into the fingerprint settings menu and turned off the "passcode option"?

When I do that all the time options reappear.

Passcode option? My company requires a passcode of some kind. They do not require a passcode until 5 minutes of idle.

The only way I can get the delay options to return is to turn off Touch ID, which means I would have to manually type a passcode.

This is a really boneheaded move by Apple.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Passcode option? My company requires a passcode of some kind. They do not require a passcode until 5 minutes of idle.

The only way I can get the delay options to return is to turn off Touch ID, which means I would have to manually type a passcode.

This is a really boneheaded move by Apple.

I suppose for those who can't spare the 0.5 seconds it takes to read your print it might seem an inconvenience ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.