Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Separate sales of iPods, iPads, and iPhones in the iToy line, from sales of COMPUTERS, and the statistics are even more dismal than I've been predicting.

No one is going to pay Mac increased cost premiums on computers that have 2003 era "super"drive optical disc technology and eschew Blu-ray.

And few are buying, beyond the first day fanboi queues. This latest detested "refresh" of the Macbook "Pro" line (check the ratings here) may finally break Job's run at Apple with two closely following bombs in a row.

No one is going to pay for Macs? Then why is their market share increasing (to either 6.5% or 8%, depending on who you believe? Why are they earning about 35% of the entire industry's profits? Why are they the 5th largest computer manufacturer in the world - in spite of the fact that they don't even try to compete at the low end where most of the volume is? Why do they account for about 90% of all PC purchases over $1 K?

The refresh of the MacBook Pro which 'will finally break Jobs' run' is selling well by all accounts.

And two bombs in a row? I wonder what that would be? The iPad? Hardly - they sold something like 500,000 units in the first week for over $250 M in revenues. You can probably name all the products ever to have had that kind of first week on the fingers of one hand (Nintendo Wii, and then.....?).

I guess you could argue that the Apple TV was a bomb - or maybe the Cube, but you have to go back quite a ways.

Gixxerguyk6

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Canada
I think Apple does'nt care about traditional computers, desktops, notebooks with regular OS. They realize there's no money in them, and that people don't want or need the complexity of a full blown OS. The problem with regular OS is that it cost money to support, hard to use, virus, etc. Because of the simplicity of buying software ( app store ) on iPhone/Touch/iPad platform, people are willing to buy software in large quantities. Guess what is happening to all the developers that made Mac and Windows apps, they are either moving to app store/Android store/web apps. I'm guessing in about 2 years there won't be any dev's making apps on regular OS as there's no app store/payment method. Also, it's a lot easier to develop apps on iPhone OS vs Windows/Mac.

Man I don't know about this tons of mac computer sales comes from students going to University or College and let me tell you these mini gadgets like the iPad need a better OS. While writing papers and doing research. I could never see myself not having tons of windows open and easy access to them plus having a larger screen is key.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Doesn't anyone remember SJ's 90-minute announcement?

Well, since the first thing iPad fans will point out when you ask about the lack of certain features is "It's not meant to be a computer" or "You need a Macbook, not an iPad", I'd say... no. :D

The iPad is a computer just as the netbook is a computer--Steve Jobs distinctly and directly aimed the iPad at the netbook market during that announcement. This quarter won't give us any clues as to the effect the iPad has on the market, but I'd bet that Q3 and Q4 will give some very clear indicators.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
I'm glad you're doing very well. :D The only downside is that 8% of the world is using OSX, a much more superior OS in millions of amazing ways. Mac is like the best kept special secret. I guess others will find their way to it or not. Shareholders have no complaints either way and I can see why.

You know, you seem to be overlooking one quite serious point: Not even 2 years ago, Apple only held 2% of world-wide shares, while its US shares were near 8%. Now their World shares are near or above 8% while its US shares have reached 13% or higher. It looks to me like either Windows is being abandoned, or OS X and Apple itself are truly beginning to make their point that quality trumps quantity.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Push comes to shove

Maybe Apple will LEARN that making its laptop users wait a full 2yrs before a significant cpu/gpu/performance update is just TOOO long to affect marketshare and overall revenue. Their not hurting and the recent MBP updates WILL help.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Apple's iPad shortage during the last month before the new quarter ships is of NO coincidence. wait and see this next 3mths report has a significant jump coinciding with new MBP sales and iPad international shipment sales, hmmm.:apple:

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
Does anyone else find it interesting that Apple's iPad shortage during the last month before the new quarter ships is of NO coincidence.

Well if the rumours are to be believed it could be partly because stocks of the A4 chip are in high demand for the new iPhone 4 that is in pre production.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple is very concerned with market share, but only in the most profitable segments of the market.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Apple is very concerned with market share, but only in the most profitable segments of the market.

I'm glad that we cleared what moves them. Usually, corporations have some sort of noble aim apart from the obvious need to provide good investment for their investors. Here, it's money, money, money... No pelicans!

"- Hey, I've got an idea! Let's make PCs, but call them MacBook and charge a premium!
- Why would we do that? Why would people buy them?
- OS X...
- Ah, of course! Can we do that with anything else?
- Sure we can! We can put a fancy cover on these PCs from aluminium and call them 'Pro'. AND charge a premium!
- You mean 'Professional'?
- No, but only us will know. We could sell these babies with ancient processors, people only check the high numbers, anyway. Let's do a music player with a touch screen, let's make a phone version and let's make a large version!
- You mean, like something magical and revolutionary?
- Of course, not! Don't you remember, how badly we burnt ourselves with the Newton? Something very basic. Put it in an aluminium shell and behind a shiny glass and people will love it! But I love the sound of 'magical and revolutionary'.
- Well, I love the sound of 'money'. Ching ching!"

Hmmm, millions of people just can't get it right. Seems like a short sighted statement. People buy what they can afford. If they can't afford Apple, does that mean they should get nothing?

The word is 'irony'. But most importantly, for a lot of people, it's not the matter of 'cannot afford'. They just don't want an Apple computer. Do you think that less than 10% market share in the US indicates that another 90+% cannot afford a 1k MacBook? Nope. Some people just don't want Apple, that's all. For some members here, that might be hard to swallow.

So, I think the statement of "People buy what they can afford" might be a completely misleading, short-sighted statement. Making a purchase depends on so many other factors. Sub-prime mortgages? That's what many can't afford. A PC for premium price - most could, if they really wanted. In fact, I think the whole idea of defining Macs as premium stinks.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

(3) Sure it's expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Average life span of the PC is 1 - 3 years, macs will last you 5 (from experience).

Sorry, but that's utter rot.

How do those number come about?

Are PC's made with lower quality CPU's. GPU's and Memory chips that go poof after 1 - 3 years?

Or do Apple products hover near the opening of a black hole so they age more slowly than PC's using the same technology?

An i7 PC will be just as old after 5 years as an i7 MAC.
Albeit a typical high end (same price) i7 PC will still be performing faster in 5 years than that same mac as it's probably got a far faster GPU than the mac does.

If, what you are really saying is that in 5 years time the MAC will still be a current model in Apples range and the PC won't still be being made, as the world has moved on 5 years and newer faster hardware is out there. Well, Apple exists in this same world and will be just as old.

The PC will be able to run Windows 8 or Windows 9 and the MAX will be able to run a newer version of OSX.

You seem to be thinking of long long in the past before technology reached where it is now. Very little really has changed in the past 5 years.

Where as people used to keep upgrading PC's due to the fantastic and exciting speed things were evolving that's almost died off now, due to everyone hitting Mhz limitations (a shame as even Intel printed articles saying they's be at 10Ghz years ago)

Just because Apple hang onto old products and PC's (used to at least) move forward faster. I don't agree in any way that a PC ages faster, or is in any way more unreliable if looked after than an Apple machine.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I think the only reason PCs seem to age faster than Macs is because a lot of software for the PC (Windows) asks for a lot of resources. A lot of Apple's software and even third party Mac software just doesn't ask for a lot.

For example. My friend put together a Hacintosh with.

1GB DDR 2 RAM

2.0 GHz Solo core processor

128 MB video

30GB HD

Mac OS X 10.6 ran faster than Windows Vista and 7 on the same hardware.

What people don't get I don't think is that even though they use the same parts as a PC now... its still not exactly the same thing. I mean, it runs a different OS and OS X is more efficient with resources unless you tweak the heck out of Windows. My point being. Its not the numbers, it's how well the computer runs. And Macs obviously keep up well with Windows based PC running double the specs.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is nothing but wild speculation. You sound like the analyst (can't remember his name) that suggested apple sold 750 000 ipads on launch weekend. Random guesses adds nothing to a discussion when real figures are being compared.

300,000 on the first day, then continuous sales of 200,000 per week. 11 weeks left = 2.2 million, total of 2.7 million. That's WiFi only. We don't know how many 3Gs will be sold, is it 50% of WiFi, or 100%, or 200%. Say 100%, released a few weeks later, thats 1.8 million, total 4.5 million.

Half of that is straight in the middle of "two to three millions". It's not wild speculation, it is an educated guess - different thing. And not a very optimistic educated guess. Four to five million would be optimistic, two to three million isn't. So if Acer isn't prepared for Apple to sell two to three million iPads this quarter, with corresponding damage to Acer's netbook sales, then we might have a huge pile of unsold Acer netbooks in the quarter after that, which will have to be sold at rock bottom prices to recover a bit of money.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Things could slip in the future. Mac is still about a third of their revenue. Giving mixed signals about Mac's future will not help things. Late MBP updates, likely no 10.7 news, no new Mac Pros, and no more switcher ads all in the context of mobile overkill leaves one to wonder if Mac is still a priority. If this continues Apple will never see 10% market share in computers.

Umm MBP was late because of the short intel chip supply in Jan & Feb time. Mac OS X like always will certainly be talked about at WWDC during the summer, New Mac pros are also rumoured in early june time

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I don't see why any spectacular growth should be expected, Apple isn't making an effort to target any new demographics with their Macs. The prices are the same, if not higher, than previously in the last couple of year and all we have had is refreshes. Neither gamers, scientists, health care, engineering, budget buyers are being targeted at all and together these represent a huge chunk of the Windows PC market share.

Apple is it's worst enemy in some ways, refusing to branch out in the Mac department and limiting most of it's ambition to the mobile space.

Hard to argue with a company that is now #56 in the Fortune 500. Fact is, Apple is not now, nor will it ever be a challenge to the MS's, Dell's or HP's of the world on the market share or overall revenue end of things. But they are OK with that. They would rather have a smaller slice of the pie, and have their slice carry more nutrients (more profit). They are extremely profitable, and get much more bang from their market share and revenue stream than any of the bigger companies.

Frankly, the only real gotcha I see for Apple coming down the road is the fact that MS is providing a true challenger for an operating system for the first time in nearly 10 years. Win7 truly narrowed the gap in usability, if not stability and security.

However, the overwhelming success that the iPad is showing in early sales might cause the same overflow sales into Macs that the iPod and iPhone did. People who have never used a Mac before might give it a look because of their experience with either their own or their friends' iPads. I can tell you that I have never had more interest in any tech gadget that I have carried in public than I have with my iPad. It's really kind of getting annoying :)

Seriously, a LOT of people want to see and touch my iPad. And most of them leave me with the statement "I've gotta have one of those." Stands to reason that the increased traffic at the retail stores/website is only going to serve to create ancillary interest in the Mac products.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The iPad is a computer just as the netbook is a computer--Steve Jobs distinctly and directly aimed the iPad at the netbook market during that announcement. This quarter won't give us any clues as to the effect the iPad has on the market, but I'd bet that Q3 and Q4 will give some very clear indicators.

He may have aimed the iPad at the Netbook market but that doesn't mean it will successfully make any dent into it. Like you say the Q3 and Q4 numbers will shed some more light on it.

The iPad is a computer because it has a CPU inside it. Most cars are computers. I still think this whole 'paradigm shift' is manufactured without any real need or desire from the vast majority of computer users. File management via iTunes? What a joke.

It wouldn't piss me off so much for the fact that Apple is all but abandoning the Mac. This latest MBP update was more like this from Apple: "Oh, the MPB's need an update. We're busy with the iPad and iPhone OS 4, just throw in some new processors and be done with it." On Apple's web site you have to go out of your way to even find out that the MBP line has been updated. The Air is dead. They've stopped their switcher ad campaign.

All this for what many perceive to be a toy. That loss of focus will also show in the Q3 and Q4 numbers, sadly.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
He may have aimed the iPad at the Netbook market but that doesn't mean it will successfully make any dent into it. Like you say the Q3 and Q4 numbers will shed some more light on it.

The iPad is a computer because it has a CPU inside it. Most cars are computers. I still think this whole 'paradigm shift' is manufactured without any real need or desire from the vast majority of computer users. File management via iTunes? What a joke.

It wouldn't piss me off so much for the fact that Apple is all but abandoning the Mac. This latest MBP update was more like this from Apple: "Oh, the MPB's need an update. We're busy with the iPad and iPhone OS 4, just throw in some new processors and be done with it." On Apple's web site you have to go out of your way to even find out that the MBP line has been updated. The Air is dead. They've stopped their switcher ad campaign.

All this for what many perceive to be a toy. That loss of focus will also show in the Q3 and Q4 numbers, sadly.

Anyone who truly believes that aapl's introduction of the iPad is a distraction from Mac sales and will hurt future earnings, really should stay away from the stock market. You'd lose your shirt.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone who truly believes that aapl's introduction of the iPad is a distraction from Mac sales and will hurt future earnings, really should stay away from the stock market. You'd lose your shirt.

That sounds like some professional financial advise!:D

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Sorry, but that's utter rot.

How do those number come about?

Are PC's made with lower quality CPU's. GPU's and Memory chips that go poof after 1 - 3 years?

It's funny how people keep saying this - when it's pretty far from reality.

Apple cases are proprietary.

Apple power supplies are proprietary.

Apple motherboards are proprietary

Those just happen to be the items that fail most frequently.

In addition, for the 'generic' parts, there's really no such thing as 'generic' RAM or GPU or CPU or hard disk for an OEM. Those things are purchased with specific specifications and the specs vary with the purchaser. Apple can be buying a CPU with tighter specs than Dell, for example. There is, in fact, evidence of that in that when people installed 'generic' RAM into earlier Macs, it often failed while Apple RAM worked perfectly.

The proof is in the pudding. Every time a magazine does a reliability survey, Apple at at or near the top of the list. ALWAYS. Apple is always at the top of the list for customer satisfaction.

So please stop with the 'they're all the same' nonsense.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I've always wondered why analysts and shareholders always "want" more and more growth. A steady market-share or steady profit of millions is almost considered a really bad thing.

Hmm I've actually seen the opposite effect from most of the large corporations I visit. They have all done major PC purchases in the last year because it is the last chance to buy with an XP downgrade. They plan on running XP for the next 3-4 years until Windows has hit SP2 or SP3.

A lot of IT-managers are wasting so much money. Especially when it comes to office computers which are only used for wordprocessing or simple spreadsheet stuff. For that even Windows 2000 with Office 2001 is good enough, with a good old Pentium 1 PC.
I haven't seen any time-improvement in our offices with newer computers. In fact... every 2 years when the IT department brings in new computers with or without new Windows installations, there's a considerable slowdown in efficiency for serveral months because of all kinds of software- or network-bugs.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
This is nothing but wild speculation. You sound like the analyst (can't remember his name) that suggested apple sold 750 000 ipads on launch weekend. Random guesses adds nothing to a discussion when real figures are being compared.

Yes. 2-3M in the U.S. This Q is speculation with no basis. And Munster's 600-700K (not 750K) came out of thin air and doubled his estimate from days earlier. The estimate made zero sense and his explanation of how he got there made even less sense. But the iPad is a runaway success so it sounds pretty silly to suggest otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.