Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I agree it has been fun in crossing swords. And I concede that in defending my thoughts and opinions I too have stepped over the line into jerk country. I apologize. *gets off high-horse*

Hey man, if nothing else, it has been legitimate fun. Mind you, I have crossed swords with people that have almost made me feel uncomfortable in their vehemence and mind you, we're just talking about Apple products, which we all (hopefully) have lives outside of. You're definitely not one of them. So kudos.

Truth be told, I was hoping Apple would give the treatment to the 13" model, but alas I shall have to wait. Next year... perhaps. What do you think? Possible..? Probable? Or do we still need that ODD...

Very interesting question. I feel like thinning down the 13" cancels out the space gained by removing the optical drive in terms of providing necessary thermal room for a discrete GPU; which is usually why I balk at the notions that people make about giving the 13" Pro discrete graphics AND making it thinner by way of removing the optical drive.

Then again, this new 15" machine proved me wrong completely, so I could be entirely wrong there too. Though I imagine NVIDIA makes a version of the card included in the retina 15" that has less dedicated VRAM and draws less power, and perhaps THAT kind of card could go into a 13" "Next-Generation" MacBook Pro.

Now this begs an entirely different question; would they ever do it? I think it'd be amazingly great if they did, but I don't think they will. I do think that the current 13" MacBook Pro, especially with its 13" MacBook Air cousin having a higher-res display and that sticking out like a sore thumb, is definitely due for SOME revamping. Apple has clearly deemed the retina MacBook Pro the "Next Generation" MacBook Pro, so the 13" and 15" non-Retina are obviously still around to ease the transition from ports to Thunderbolt and from the capacities previously offered by hard drives to SSDs. Personally, I think that rather than make a 13" Next Generation MacBook Pro, they'll just eventually discard it in favor of whatever 13" MacBook Air is introduced on the date of its discontinuation, which, being a generation ahead would be technically faster. They got away with doing this with the 11" MacBook Air and the white MacBook (which, despite the speed, and unlike my prediction, wasn't a fair trade-off).

Apple announcing affordable Thunderbolt adapters ended our dependency on legacy ports. I don't like having a dongle, but at least, I could have my cake and eat it too. The optical drive is another story. Personally, my prediction was that if the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro was going to be drastically changed in any way, that the 17" would stick around as the legacy MacBook Pro for those that needed legacy features. This was in line with the fact that for years, it has been the only Mac with an ExpressCard slot and that there were still Mac users dependent on that slot. I figured it'd be the last one to keep the optical drive by that same token.

Beyond that, as much as this community likes to deny it, there are plenty of people still using that optical drive. For 13" Pro users, it's typically more about playing back DVDs than it is about burning them and for 15" Pro users, you have it being used for all sorts of things even still. Toward the end of the 13" Pro, college kids STILL want to be able to play their movies in their dorms. A lot of times, it doesn't make sense to lug a tower to college, or a TV for that matter. For those times, if you want to watch a movie, a DVD-Drive equipped laptop is the best solution to that problem. Even when living with roommates, a lot of people can't afford a separate TV in their room, both financially and spatially. Some also don't have room for a desk that can accommodate a computer fit for the task. And some want to be watching movies in the bed. Yes, you can now download movies, but that doesn't do anything for the decades of DVDs that people have been collecting; they will not be stoked on spending more money to re-own them because Apple wanted to make the machine that much thinner. The expectation that DVDs will be thrown out in favor of this online movie system is ridiculous. So, for, the college crowd primarily, I have a feeling that Apple might keep the optical-laden 13" Pro around for longer than they probably should. I think that they could probably get away with discontinuing it and not pissing those people off if they included the USB SuperDrive with the machine as that'd ease the psychological "what the hell?!" reaction from the "no optical drive"; I think that for most consumers, especially the college crowd, that'd be more than enough to appease them. I do feel like that if any of the "classic" MacBook Pros are going to get the axe first, it'll be the 13", for sure as much more of that crowd can live without the features lacking from the 13" MacBook Pro. But I could be wrong. I think it will inevitably be discontinued. I don't think its replacement will be anything more than the 13" MacBook Air that is announced on the day of its discontinuation, but I could be wrong. Hell, I'd love to be wrong. If they're going to sacrifice ports and drives, they'd better make it worthwhile.

Though I'm also of the mind that they will give us a 17" version of the retina MacBook Pro (when they have screens out for it), if for no other reason than to have that physically large of a display, that much more powerful of a video card, and an extra mSATA slot for a second SSD drive. But I'm probably wrong there too.

I'd guess that the transition to these new MacBook Pros will go similarly to the Intel transition; they'll leave behind one classic MacBook Pro for those that need it for maybe a year or two, and then they'll kill it off in favor of the new machines. Apple's line-up was always simplest when you had two sizes of Pro and two sizes of non-Pro/Air; my guess is that they'll bring that back. I'd wager that they'll keep one of the two sizes of classic around at the next rev, while discontinuing the other. At the time that they do that, they may not even update the internals at all. Which one sticks around, I couldn't tell you. My guess is 15" (as that machine serves more functions than the 13" by design), but I could be wrong. I mean, with marketing like "Next-Generation", it's clear that we're transitioning to these new models. Though how that goes remains to be seen.

Your thoughts on any of that?

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Very interesting question. I feel like thinning down the 13" cancels out the space gained by removing the optical drive in terms of providing necessary thermal room for a discrete GPU; which is usually why I balk at the notions that people make about giving the 13" Pro discrete graphics AND making it thinner by way of removing the optical drive.

Then again, this new 15" machine proved me wrong completely, so I could be entirely wrong there too. Though I imagine NVIDIA makes a version of the card included in the retina 15" that has less dedicated VRAM and draws less power, and perhaps THAT kind of card could go into a 13" "Next-Generation" MacBook Pro.

Def, the move to mobile/low demand tech is on the cards. Intel is certainly looking to drop the draw from their cpus and the graphics options from everyone should continue to improve too.

Now this begs an entirely different question; would they ever do it? I think it'd be amazingly great if they did, but I don't think they will. I do think that the current 13" MacBook Pro, especially with its 13" MacBook Air cousin having a higher-res display and that sticking out like a sore thumb, is definitely due for SOME revamping. Apple has clearly deemed the retina MacBook Pro the "Next Generation" MacBook Pro, so the 13" and 15" non-Retina are obviously still around to ease the transition from ports to Thunderbolt and from the capacities previously offered by hard drives to SSDs. Personally, I think that rather than make a 13" Next Generation MacBook Pro, they'll just eventually discard it in favor of whatever 13" MacBook Air is introduced on the date of its discontinuation, which, being a generation ahead would be technically faster. They got away with doing this with the 11" MacBook Air and the white MacBook (which, despite the speed, and unlike my prediction, wasn't a fair trade-off).
I think you're on the money here. One consolidated 'retina' MacBook line perhaps..?

Beyond that, as much as this community likes to deny it, there are plenty of people still using that optical drive

Yep, as much as I dislike the ODD, you're right.

I have upwards of four computers in my house, (excluding iOS devices). Two have superdrives, so my 13" doesn't need to. I need to remember I am excessive in comparison to the general pop.

Though I'm also of the mind that they will give us a 17" version of the retina MacBook Pro (when they have screens out for it), if for no other reason than to have that physically large of a display, that much more powerful of a video card, and an extra mSATA slot for a second SSD drive. But I'm probably wrong there too.

If the retina 15" can scale the old 17" res with no probs, (I haven't seen/used one yet to know for sure), then I can't see the 17" coming back anytime soon. Typically the 17" has only carried similar specs, except the screen. I also think Apple will push TB over more internal HDDs in notebooks.

I'd guess that the transition to these new MacBook Pros will go similarly to the Intel transition; they'll leave behind one classic MacBook Pro for those that need it for maybe a year or two, and then they'll kill it off in favor of the new machines. Apple's line-up was always simplest when you had two sizes of Pro and two sizes of non-Pro/Air; my guess is that they'll bring that back. I'd wager that they'll keep one of the two sizes of classic around at the next rev, while discontinuing the other. At the time that they do that, they may not even update the internals at all. Which one sticks around, I couldn't tell you. My guess is 15" (as that machine serves more functions than the 13" by design), but I could be wrong. I mean, with marketing like "Next-Generation", it's clear that we're transitioning to these new models. Though how that goes remains to be seen.

I'd agree with you here, although I think the 15" will be the one to get the chop, with the 13" to hang on in as their token to slow adopters.

Things holding back Apple from pushing the change through in all models:
*SSDs are still expensive, and comparatively small.
*Internet speeds (although getting faster) are not there for everyone yet. And data downloads are still capped in many places.
*The film/TV industry are fiercely protecting their content providing cash train. Most of what they make is crap, yet we have to buy bundled packages to get the shows we want;we lack legitimate/legal/affordable alternatives.

But in a few years time this landscape should (hopefully) look a lot different.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Def, the move to mobile/low demand tech is on the cards. Intel is certainly looking to drop the draw from their cpus and the graphics options from everyone should continue to improve too.

Well, even then, the card they used in the 15" Retina could've been made weaker. And really any discrete GPU, even a mostly neutered one ought to beat the Intel HD 4000, despite how much better it is than any IGP used previously in Macs by either NVIDIA or Intel. Like, they could've given us a weaker version with only 256MB of discrete VRAM and that would've still been an improvement, but again, I think that for the most part, the vast majority of customers going for the 13" MacBook Pro currently don't need anything more powerful than something like the Intel HD 4000. Mind you, I've always had a soft spot for the 13" Pro and am probably in agreement with you when I voice my own discontentment at that, but I strongly get the feeling that Apple has little motivation to make such a 13" MacBook Pro.

I think you're on the money here. One consolidated 'retina' MacBook line perhaps..?

Nah, my guess is that they'll continue to keep Air and Pro separate as it makes for more interesting marketing. Pretty much ever since Steve Jobs' return to Apple, the company has thrived on two "distinctly different" lines, one for consumers and one for Pros.

Yep, as much as I dislike the ODD, you're right.

I have upwards of four computers in my house, (excluding iOS devices). Two have superdrives, so my 13" doesn't need to. I need to remember I am excessive in comparison to the general pop.

Heh...I was in your shoes not too long ago. I decided to consolidate the stuff I used a desktop for and a laptop for into a Mac laptop that will be more than enough and to use a NAS for the stuff I don't want on a PC and don't need to lug with me, but that I still want convenient access to. Ironically enough, while I will have brought my Mac numbers down, it looks like I'll be increasing the number of PCs from one to three. Even further ironically, as someone who, as you know, favors the older MacBook Pro and balks at the MacBook Air, one of those two additional PCs will likely be a used/refurbished Sandy Bridge PC Ultrabook as on that machine I'd only need an optical drive for the installation of Office 2003 and for a one-time install, that's no problemo. For your set-up, the optical drive does seem extraneous. Frankly, unless you are in college or if you don't have a desktop Mac (that presumably still has an internal optical drive or has a constantly attached external one), odds are that you don't need an internal one in your Mac laptop. Much as I hate to admit it, in those circumstances, not having one almost makes sense.

If the retina 15" can scale the old 17" res with no probs, (I haven't seen/used one yet to know for sure), then I can't see the 17" coming back anytime soon. Typically the 17" has only carried similar specs, except the screen. I also think Apple will push TB over more internal HDDs in notebooks.

You're probably right; though I feel like the 17" catered to the type of people that'd happily welcome more internal storage, and I feel like the chipset could easily support the extra connection, and that it wouldn't be all that hard to make a 17" version of the retina 15" to use that second stick and maybe RAID them to appear as one drive. Probably a pipe dream; but it would be an insanely awesome laptop, for sure.

I'd agree with you here, although I think the 15" will be the one to get the chop, with the 13" to hang on in as their token to slow adopters.

You're probably right. I feel like there'd be more of a logical reason to keep the 15" as it serves more functions than the 13" by design, but the 13" is the more popular one and there are a healthy number of people who wouldn't care about the things setting the 15" from the 13" but would care about the optical drive. A shame. I think the 15" non-retina serves the greatest utility of the two, but so it goes. It will be nothing short of fascinating to see where they go from here. Frankly, I think this was quite telling for the iMac; though, much more than the MacBook Pro line, the iMac, with all of the problems that it has, is the worst in need of a complete rethinking/redesign...if they gave it the same treatment that they gave the retina 15", it might actually be a decent and, more importantly, reliable machine!

Things holding back Apple from pushing the change through in all models:
*SSDs are still expensive, and comparatively small.
*Internet speeds (although getting faster) are not there for everyone yet. And data downloads are still capped in many places.
*The film/TV industry are fiercely protecting their content providing cash train. Most of what they make is crap, yet we have to buy bundled packages to get the shows we want;we lack legitimate/legal/affordable alternatives.

But in a few years time this landscape should (hopefully) look a lot different.

Frankly, if movies and music had just come on thumb drives, none of this would be an issue at all; we'd have literally zero need for internal ODDs whatsoever. I have that thought a lot. It's a very disappointing one. Installing Lion from a USB drive is so much faster than installing it from a DVD burnt from the same InstallESD.dmg image. And much as I hate to admit it, most software is about as readily available (if not more available) via a digital locker (like the App Store or Steam or via a serial number that you can just save to a text file or print out) as they are via disc. But alas. I feel like optical media will always have a place as, after a while, media becomes so much cheaper than thumb drives. Though, I'm hoping that thumb drives catch up.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Now that's what I wanna hear! If these were cheaper than the 15", I could see me getting one.

The biggest feature is the lower glare for my mind. I can't stand the glossy/glass on the 13"pros.

Guess we'll get retina mbas too, but not this year me thinks.

It does seem inevitable that every Apple-branded screen or device with a screen will be "retina" eventually. I still don't see how they could pull off a retina 13" Pro and a (retina or no retina) 13" Air, unless the Pro somehow retains the same class of CPUs that it currently uses; otherwise, there's not much differentiating the two. Though the benchmarks published here are surprising:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...at-macbook-air-previous-macbook-pro-by-10-15/

It seems like it's only a matter of time before the 13" gets this conversion. In the meantime, I'm of the mindset that MagSafe 2 is entirely stupid and that they could've made it just thick enough for there to not be this necessity given that the Mid 2011 and Late 2010 MacBook Airs had no problem being as thin as they were with the original MagSafe. But I digress...

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
It does seem inevitable that every Apple-branded screen or device with a screen will be "retina" eventually. I still don't see how they could pull off a retina 13" Pro and a (retina or no retina) 13" Air, unless the Pro somehow retains the same class of CPUs that it currently uses; otherwise, there's not much differentiating the two. Though the benchmarks published here are surprising:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...at-macbook-air-previous-macbook-pro-by-10-15/

It seems like it's only a matter of time before the 13" gets this conversion. In the meantime, I'm of the mindset that MagSafe 2 is entirely stupid and that they could've made it just thick enough for there to not be this necessity given that the Mid 2011 and Late 2010 MacBook Airs had no problem being as thin as they were with the original MagSafe. But I digress...

Quite impressive benches for the dual core machine.

I'm wondering if the 13 rMBP (if there is to be one) will have quad core. And no discrete graphics..? I would prefer the opposite, but am thinking the former is more likely. The new Intel graphics seem capable enough for everyday stuff and can push the 15" rMBP.

Re the MagSafe - I agree. Apple seems fond of periodically updating such things to ensure that people keep purchasing the later. A nice little money spinner I suspect.
Perhaps I'm a bit cynical; there might be a (yet to be announced) product that needs the new form factor.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Quite impressive benches for the dual core machine.

I'm wondering if the 13 rMBP (if there is to be one) will have quad core. And no discrete graphics..? I would prefer the opposite, but am thinking the former is more likely. The new Intel graphics seem capable enough for everyday stuff and can push the 15" rMBP.

Re the MagSafe - I agree. Apple seems fond of periodically updating such things to ensure that people keep purchasing the later. A nice little money spinner I suspect.
Perhaps I'm a bit cynical; there might be a (yet to be announced) product that needs the new form factor.

I don't think a 13" rMBP (fantastic abbreviation, btw) would be a candidate for a quad-core CPU, at least while Ivy Bridge is the current mobile offering from Intel. If it were, the fact that they didn't bring it on the 13" MacBook Pro this time around would just be a slap in the face to those customers; though, they have been giving them 1280x800 (where 1440x900 has been offered on concurrent 13" MBAs for three revs in a row now), so I guess Apple isn't opposed to shortchanging 13" Pro users where they can in that regard. It is stupid. Though, it's not like the 13" Pro isn't the modern day evolution of the original white and black MacBooks and those were always fairly nerfed. Still though, remove the optical, and there ought to be room for at least an extremely weak discrete Keplar, which would be much nicer than the Intel HD 4000.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I don't think a 13" rMBP (fantastic abbreviation, btw) would be a candidate for a quad-core CPU, at least while Ivy Bridge is the current mobile offering from Intel. If it were, the fact that they didn't bring it on the 13" MacBook Pro this time around would just be a slap in the face to those customers; though, they have been giving them 1280x800 (where 1440x900 has been offered on concurrent 13" MBAs for three revs in a row now), so I guess Apple isn't opposed to shortchanging 13" Pro users where they can in that regard. It is stupid. Though, it's not like the 13" Pro isn't the modern day evolution of the original white and black MacBooks and those were always fairly nerfed. Still though, remove the optical, and there ought to be room for at least an extremely weak discrete Keplar, which would be much nicer than the Intel HD 4000.

Quad or GPU (or both? [I wish]) should be offered in a 13" rMBP, just to help it stand above the crowd. What would be more essential for a retina display? The GPU I would assume, and maybe that's where they'll go, but which would be easier to achieve?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Quad or GPU (or both? [I wish]) should be offered in a 13" rMBP, just to help it stand above the crowd. What would be more essential for a retina display? The GPU I would assume, and maybe that's where they'll go, but which would be easier to achieve?

Somehow I doubt they'll be able to do much in the Quad-Core-on-13" department until Haswell. Dunno if you saw the articles predicting the 13" rMBP to come out by October...I feel like there's nothing stopping such a machine with or without a weak Keplar (given that the rMBP should, in theory, still be capable of running on the Intel HD 4000) from coming out now as a 15" retina display ought to be harder to produce than a 13". Still though, almost feel sorry for people buying a 13" non-Retina MBP right now. Though, you know me, when it ships with both Mountain Lion and Mountain Lion Internet Recovery, I'm pulling the trigger on a non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro and am not looking back. Hopefully by then, they'll have worked out all of the weird/annoying quirks with the retina model and they'll at least find a way of making the battery removable again.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Somehow I doubt they'll be able to do much in the Quad-Core-on-13" department until Haswell. Dunno if you saw the articles predicting the 13" rMBP to come out by October...I feel like there's nothing stopping such a machine with or without a weak Keplar (given that the rMBP should, in theory, still be capable of running on the Intel HD 4000) from coming out now as a 15" retina display ought to be harder to produce than a 13". Still though, almost feel sorry for people buying a 13" non-Retina MBP right now. Though, you know me, when it ships with both Mountain Lion and Mountain Lion Internet Recovery, I'm pulling the trigger on a non-Retina 2012 15" MacBook Pro and am not looking back. Hopefully by then, they'll have worked out all of the weird/annoying quirks with the retina model and they'll at least find a way of making the battery removable again.

Nice. What spec are you looking at? The new non-retina machines are pretty sweet. I agree that the battery being glued in is a right-royal sucko move.

The retina early adoptors can help push through all the bugs/annoyances so I'll be looking good for a new 2013 machine. Seems to me that the current hardware is barely meeting min standards for retina spec; will be more attractive/comfortable with the next gen.

Anyway, I can't justify dropping yet when my current machine is (just) good enough still. Would love a less reflective screen though. Hate the glassy mirror.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Nice. What spec are you looking at? The new non-retina machines are pretty sweet. I agree that the battery being glued in is a right-royal sucko move.

The retina early adoptors can help push through all the bugs/annoyances so I'll be looking good for a new 2013 machine. Seems to me that the current hardware is barely meeting min standards for retina spec; will be more attractive/comfortable with the next gen.

Anyway, I can't justify dropping yet when my current machine is (just) good enough still. Would love a less reflective screen though. Hate the glassy mirror.

What machines do you currently have? I agree, the retina MBP is just Rev. A for this next design, it ought to improve drastically when it is refreshed and when the non-retina MacBook Pros get discontinued next year. I feel like this (presumed) last rev of non-retina MBP will be perfect and over the time that I'm owning it, the rMBP will improve and it'll be easier to make the jump away from Ethernet, FireWire, and internal optical drive having had time to mentally prepare. Still though; very nice of them to put out Ivy Bridge versions of both designs simultaneously.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
What machines do you currently have? I agree, the retina MBP is just Rev. A for this next design, it ought to improve drastically when it is refreshed and when the non-retina MacBook Pros get discontinued next year. I feel like this (presumed) last rev of non-retina MBP will be perfect and over the time that I'm owning it, the rMBP will improve and it'll be easier to make the jump away from Ethernet, FireWire, and internal optical drive having had time to mentally prepare. Still though; very nice of them to put out Ivy Bridge versions of both designs simultaneously.

I've somehow managed to collect a few machines in the last few years. My original Mac was a 12" PowerBook. Still my favourite machine, (and still chugging along at my sister's).

My main work machine has been a 2009 13" MBP, 160GB Intel SSD/640GB WD. It just died. Kind of. Says there is no WiFi hardware, and won't connect through ethernet or USB dongle. Does hotspot on iPhone, but that's a pain.

I was desperate for wk, so I have literally just bought the cMBP 13" base model. Bumped to 8GB RAM and installed 256GB M4. Prob going to put in another 128 or 256 in the optical bay. The 13" rMBP hasn't materialized for me in time...

I also have a 27" iMac for design/photography/film (hobbies) and a mini HTPC. My wife runs an 11" MBA.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've somehow managed to collect a few machines in the last few years. My original Mac was a 12" PowerBook. Still my favourite machine, (and still chugging along at my sister's).

My main work machine has been a 2009 13" MBP, 160GB Intel SSD/640GB WD. It just died. Kind of. Says there is no WiFi hardware, and won't connect through ethernet or USB dongle. Does hotspot on iPhone, but that's a pain.

I was desperate for wk, so I have literally just bought the cMBP 13" base model. Bumped to 8GB RAM and installed 256GB M4. Prob going to put in another 128 or 256 in the optical bay. The 13" rMBP hasn't materialized for me in time...

I also have a 27" iMac for design/photography/film (hobbies) and a mini HTPC. My wife runs an 11" MBA.

Is that 13" that you just bought one of the Mid 2012 Ivy Bridge Models? If so, how are you liking it?

Also, thoughts on this:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/10/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-once-again-shows-up-in-benchmarks/

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Is that 13" that you just bought one of the Mid 2012 Ivy Bridge Models? If so, how are you liking it?

Also, thoughts on this:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/10/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-once-again-shows-up-in-benchmarks/

It is a Ivy 2012 13". Feels good, perhaps the best part is getting 6 Gigabit speed SSDs. Am seeing faster renders on it too, but then that's not a huge part of my working day. I'll drop in 16GB RAM too before too long, although the free upgrade to 8GB will tide me over in the meantime. Runs cooler. Better battery life. Still don't love the low res glossy screen. Very similar to my old solid machine really.

The 13" retinaMBP will be interesting if it materialises. I think it will. Doubt I'll be lining up for one now though. I find it a bit of a pain swapping machines, reinstalling software/licences etc. This new one is almost sorted and probably holds more flexibility going forward, (swap battery, RAM and SSDs myself as needed).

Did you end up getting a non-retina 15"?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It is a Ivy 2012 13". Feels good, perhaps the best part is getting 6 Gigabit speed SSDs. Am seeing faster renders on it too, but then that's not a huge part of my working day. I'll drop in 16GB RAM too before too long, although the free upgrade to 8GB will tide me over in the meantime. Runs cooler. Better battery life. Still don't love the low res glossy screen. Very similar to my old solid machine really.

The 13" retinaMBP will be interesting if it materialises. I think it will. Doubt I'll be lining up for one now though. I find it a bit of a pain swapping machines, reinstalling software/licences etc. This new one is almost sorted and probably holds more flexibility going forward, (swap battery, RAM and SSDs myself as needed).

Did you end up getting a non-retina 15"?

Yeah, aside from the retina display, I get the feeling that all other technological aspects of the 13" retina won't be amazing nor earth-shattering. If it materializes during this MBP refresh cycle, it'll have the same tech specs as the current 13", just with 8GB and 16GB soldered on DDR3L instead of 4GB and 8GB socketed DDR3.

I haven't yet ordered my non-retina 15". I want to buy another iPod touch at the same time and given that I'm speccing out this non-retina 15" to be maxed out (2.7GHz i7 with 8MB of Cache instead of the usual 6; max hard drive) and with AppleCare auto-enrolled, and I haven't quite hit the target amount of money yet (Just another $150ish more, which will come in this week's paycheck). I'm also wanting to buy both a hard case for it and a dedicated backpack-style laptop case; I'm sick and tired of messenger-bag style laptop cases; terrible for your back. Any recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.