Reservation a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjn419, Jun 19, 2010.

1. sjn419 macrumors regular

I think most people waiting in line pre store opening will have reservations. Isn't it then a disavantage when there are 2 lines And most of the people are in the reservation line? (even if the line is moving 2 to 1)

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Most people will not have a reservation

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The reservation line goes through the door first.

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Well reservations kinda stopped around the first day or two of preorders, so who knows. I know I might be there at 11PM the 23rd.

5. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

My apple store says the lines will move at a 2 reserves to 1 walkin ratio

6. Nilonym macrumors member

People in the reservation line are guaranteed an iPhone; people in the other line are not.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My Apple Store is different. For the iPad all the reservations went through and the the normal lines went through. I Was out of there at 8:02 for an 8:00 am launch.

8. BConvery macrumors regular

No, because as long as they have enough to cover that store's reservation.....I get one. If I had to go the walk up route, they may not have enough for everyone in that line...of course its all theoretical. I guess I know once I get there :/

9. advres Guest

advres

FYI... I was at the Boylston Street, Boston store today to buy another new machine. Talked to the guy who was helping me and he said they don't think they will even have stock to cover the pre-orders. But this was just some lackey so who the hell knows.

10. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you say that? I would think the people willing to wait in like at 5am would be all about reserving

11. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

They are saying the same thing in the UK. it will be a lottery of those that have reserved

12. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Because the reservations were unavailable pretty early in the day, and most people couldn't get through... many many people I've talked to were unable to reserve

13. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

This is true. Preorders are taken by apple not the store. The store doesn't even know it's allocated number of phones and there is no negative feedback mechanism to shut off reserves when capacity is reached because capacity is unknown!

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

from where

Where do you have the reservation from? Apple.com or the app?

15. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Apple.com, but it shows up in the app for me as well

16. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Or they're there early to get a spot early up in the walk in line.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Last year the walk in line was like 12 people long. the reserves line was around 80-90 or so.

But guess what, everyone who was in the reserve line got to go ahead of everyone else.

18. jyax macrumors newbie

Last year at the Washington Square Mall Apple Store in Tigard, Oregon people were turned away if they didn't have reservations because the store didn't have enough to cover those with reservations and those without.

They were however happy to call up another Apple store and reserve pickup of a phone for you at that store if they had some.

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

shows up

what do you mean it SHOWS UP? Is there a way to check on reservations?

20. dhjapple89 macrumors member

For the WiFi iPad release, it was 15 pre-orders (reservations) to 1 non-reservation.

21. Mfear macrumors member

click on "stores" at the bottom, go to the store you have your reservation at and click "reservations"

22. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. If I select find a store then select the store I reserved at, then click the reservations tab I will see 32gb black iPhone 4 listed as reserved

23. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Yes. If you find your apple store in the app under the "Stores" tab, click the "reservations" button

24. mustang3115 macrumors newbie

That's not correct, you make the reservation through apple, not the individual store. After reservations end apple gauges how many phones need to be shipped to each store, plus walk in orders. So all reservations are covered. Apple knows how many phones need to be at each store to cover anyone who reserved.

25. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

You should preface your comment with, "In a perfect world..."

But seriously, where'd you get that info from? I don't see corporate basing numbers based on anything but past trends and known sales figures.