Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I was told by my local Apple Store multiple times (once in person) that as long as I have a reservation, which I do, one will be held to the end of the day. I will of course show up early. 7AM opening time, I will be there sooner; when? Not sure yet.

The Apple Store Rep assured me that those who claim a reservation is meaningless are wrong. Reservation=phone held. This was confirmed multiple times. BUT, as I said, I will definitely show up early! I am using a 'dumb' phone and Thursday is just WAAAAAYYYYY to far away!!!:D

rmwhite

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
That's not correct, you make the reservation through apple, not the individual store. After reservations end apple gauges how many phones need to be shipped to each store, plus walk in orders. So all reservations are covered. Apple knows how many phones need to be at each store to cover anyone who reserved.

I'd have to disagree. The launch-day distributions have been planned for weeks, most likely months based on available supply, population density, and a metric based on previous, and estimated interest in the new product. Distribution of a product across the country, especially to satisfy retail orders on a specific date aren't left to chance, nevermind the whim of customers, weeks ahead of time.

While I guess previous orders have seen to-be-delivered product flying from china to the US, the same measures are likely not taken for product to be distributed in-store. From my little knowledge of import/export law, I believe product to be delivered directly to consumers has an easier time getting through customs than product to be shipped for retail distribution. This, I believe, is why product for direct fulfillment may be shipped from China.

The demand for the product was clearly in excess of what Apple had predicted, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a moderate number of customers, both with and without reservations, who aren't able to pick up a product on launch day. However, it should be qualified that those stores in major metropolitan areas will have a much better chance of getting a phone on launch day in store, with or without a reservation.

But, I know as much as you, I suppose.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
Here we go again. Non reservist hoping they have the same standing at getting the phone as the ones that reserved. It's funny, everyday I check macrumors. Someone else is posting this crap and everyone plays along.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
The girl I talked to at my reservation store said I would have a reserved iPhone held for me until closing as long as I make it into the store before the store closes.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Here we go again. Non reservist hoping they have the same standing at getting the phone as the ones that reserved. It's funny, everyday I check macrumors. Someone else is posting this crap and everyone plays along.

All I know is that at my local apple store, reservation line must be depleted or at least close to it and then one line reforms again.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Well, they weren't fully sure about the lines, but they thought it would be one line. Thus, there was no definite answer. I hope there are 2 lines.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
People in the reservation line are guaranteed an iPhone; people in the other line are not.

No they're not, but let's not start that argument again. :D

Last year the walk in line was like 12 people long. the reserves line was around 80-90 or so.

But guess what, everyone who was in the reserve line got to go ahead of everyone else.

This ain't your father's launch event. We're in uncharted waters here with how insane it's going to be. I think anybody who goes to the Apple store thinking it will be similar to the 3GS launch is going to have a rude awakening.

I was told by my local Apple Store multiple times (once in person) that as long as I have a reservation, which I do, one will be held to the end of the day. I will of course show up early. 7AM opening time, I will be there sooner; when? Not sure yet.

The Apple Store Rep assured me that those who claim a reservation is meaningless are wrong. Reservation=phone held. This was confirmed multiple times. BUT, as I said, I will definitely show up early! I am using a 'dumb' phone and Thursday is just WAAAAAYYYYY to far away!!!:D

I don't care how many times it's been "confirmed", you had better get there early, like you are, if you want to get a phone on the 24th. There are going to be a bunch of threads on launch day with people ranting about how they had a reservation and couldn't get a phone. Don't be one of them and get there early. You've been warned.

Non Reservists? LOL, that's a good one. I don't agree with the idea that you can just show up without a reservation and have just as good a chance at getting a phone. I do cringe however every time somebody says "I called my Apple store and they said they would hold it for me until the store closes, guaranteed". I can just see the poor soul walking into the store after work to find out that the phones were all gone by noon.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

Oh. So we're suppossed to accept your word (a non-Apple employee) or the word of SEVERAL store reps in different states. So they're all wrong and you're right? If you have some sort of crystal ball, I need the lotto numbers.

'let's not start that argument again' is the same thing as when someone prefaces a statement with 'Not to be a jerk, but...' there is no difference.

As I said, you do not work for Apple and you calling all their employees across the US to be either stupid or lying is just wrong.

That said, I will show up before store opening.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Local store said last year people lined up starting at 3AM (I was there at 4AM and 2AM for 3G). I'm shooting for midnight campout.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Oh. So we're suppossed to accept your word (a non-Apple employee) or the word of SEVERAL store reps in different states. So they're all wrong and you're right? If you have some sort of crystal ball, I need the lotto numbers.

'let's not start that argument again' is the same thing as when someone prefaces a statement with 'Not to be a jerk, but...' there is no difference.

As I said, you do not work for Apple and you calling all their employees across the US to be either stupid or lying is just wrong.

That said, I will show up before store opening.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. They are just giving you the store policy. No one could have anticipated the insanity of the 15th and I'm just saying that launch day is going to be just as crazy with potentially 10 times the lines of the 3GS launch, there's a very good chance that they will run out phones long before store closing. Obviously you think the same since you are getting there early.

Just show up early and you will get one. No reason for everyone to freak

Word...

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
You should preface your comment with, "In a perfect world..."

But seriously, where'd you get that info from? I don't see corporate basing numbers based on anything but past trends and known sales figures.

Why would they base the numbers sent to each store on estimates, when they have actual numbers to go from?

I'd have to disagree. The launch-day distributions have been planned for weeks, most likely months based on available supply, population density, and a metric based on previous, and estimated interest in the new product. Distribution of a product across the country, especially to satisfy retail orders on a specific date aren't left to chance, nevermind the whim of customers, weeks ahead of time.

While I guess previous orders have seen to-be-delivered product flying from china to the US, the same measures are likely not taken for product to be distributed in-store. From my little knowledge of import/export law, I believe product to be delivered directly to consumers has an easier time getting through customs than product to be shipped for retail distribution. This, I believe, is why product for direct fulfillment may be shipped from China.

The demand for the product was clearly in excess of what Apple had predicted, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a moderate number of customers, both with and without reservations, who aren't able to pick up a product on launch day. However, it should be qualified that those stores in major metropolitan areas will have a much better chance of getting a phone on launch day in store, with or without a reservation.

But, I know as much as you, I suppose.

I would be shocked if Apple didn't have a large number of phones already in the US, ready to ship to stores. And now that they have real numbers to base their decision off of, why wouldn't they ship the proper amount of phones to each store? Apple knows better than to make promises to so many people and not be able to deliver.

Just because there were some issues with AT&T's servers on pre order day due to excess demand, everyone seems to be assuming that Apple promised more phones than they can deliver. I'd be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of people with reservations will get their phones on the 24th, no matter what time they go in (minus a few people who have problems, which is expected for a launch this big).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
But seriously, where'd you get that info from? I don't see corporate basing numbers based on anything but past trends and known sales figures.

I was told the very same thing by an Apple employee at my local store.

So basically you're saying that Apple is offering reservations just..for nothing? Yeah. Ok.

That's some mighty fine armchair supply chain and logistics management you're slinging. May I ask for some links to evidence? Or are you using ideas from other manufacturers? Because the super secret outfit known as Apple doesn't operate like other manufacturers.

This ain't your father's launch event. We're in uncharted waters here with how insane it's going to be. I think anybody who goes to the Apple store thinking it will be similar to the 3GS launch is going to have a rude awakening.

Man what in the world are you even talking about? OP Asked a question regarding the reservation system itself, and I responded about the reservation system itself. I'm not talking about demand or volume nor am I making comparisons to the 3G and 4 launches other than queue system.

FYI I was second in line at the previous launch and waited around 11 hrs. I plan on doing the same this time around.

rmwhite

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
The distributor (presumably FedEx) would have planned weeks in advance for this launch. Trucks and drivers have to be in the proper city, at the proper time of the proper day, with enough room in their trucks to accommodate the increased iPhone volume as well as the normal expected volume. Significant modification of this distribution plan might be quite difficult.

Let's assume there are more customers than there are iPhones, which is probably a pretty good assumption. There will be a direct correlation between the number of phones reserved and the number of phones desired by walk-in customers. Apple would know this already and would likely distribute the same number of phones (percentage wise) to the same stores based on launch-day and continuing sales of iPhone products. For instance, if the cube in NYC sold 2% of all iphones on launch day, it is likely that the cube will receive 2% of the product. The flexability of a distribution system decreases with increasing volume, especially under strict conditions (single-day distribution).

Sir Green Day

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I think most people waiting in line pre store opening will have reservations. Isn't it then a disavantage when there are 2 lines And most of the people are in the reservation line? (even if the line is moving 2 to 1)

I spoke to reps at all 5 of my local AT&T stores and asked about the 2 lines deal. I missed preorder that's why I asked. Anyway he said there will only be 1 line and that's for walk-ins. He said ALL preorders are being mailed/shipped to those folks so the only people who come to the store will be walk-ins.

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I spoke to reps at all 5 of my local AT&T stores and asked about the 2 lines deal. I missed preorder that's why I asked. Anyway he said there will only be 1 line and that's for walk-ins. He said ALL preorders are being mailed/shipped to those folks so the only people who come to the store will be walk-ins.

Hey buddy there are preorders, which are purchases of the phone via apple's online store that are shipped and then there are reservations which only reserve the phone for you to pick up at an actual store. 2 different things. there will most certainly be people that have reserve phones waiting in line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.