Reservation System Ain't Working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nope7308, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Apple's online reservation system is just as useful as a broken condom. When I attempt to make a reservation, I encounter one of the following:
    1. The webpage doesn't load
    2. The session has timed out
    3. Error message stating the webpage is undergoing maintenance
    4. If I can select the store, it shows no available stock of any Apple product. This occurs for every Apple store within my province. In effect, no reservation can be made at all.

This occurs whether it's 9pm, 10pm or 11pm. I tried both yesterday and today with no luck. I also tried calling the Apple store earlier today and they would not make a reservation over the phone (not to mention the 30 minutes on hold). Why did Apple introduce this stupid thing if it doesn't even work?!?!

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I need a goddamn phone! I've been using a loner phone for almost a month now, and if I can't get an iPhone by this weekend, I'm buying the SGII.

Seriously, why is this so damn complicated? If the Apple retail store accepted refunds/exchanges for items purchased through the online store, I wouldn't have to concern myself with this nonsense. I also don't understand why I have to go to the Apple store to buy an unlocked iPhone... why can't BB carry it?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I placed a reservation at 9:05pm est for a friend just fine...... :confused:

3. nealric macrumors member

4. alau0115 macrumors regular

Are you in Ontario of Canada?

I have been experiencing the exact same issue as the OP. Thanks nop7308 as you exactly described the problem. At least I am not alone!

5. jsh macrumors regular

I'm in Ontario and I reserved one On Monday at 8:56 with no problem. Was done in under 1 minute.

6. alau0115, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

alau0115 macrumors regular

At 8:56pm, did the stock level show up correctly? Or you just press the "Reserve" button on the first page at 8:56pm?

Thanks!

EDIT: Besides, did you reserve yours from the stores in Greater Toronto Area (Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Fairview Mall, Sherway Garden, Square One, Upper Canada Mall)?

7. JoganJani macrumors member

I do not get any values in the drop downs for state and store location. Hence cannot process with reserve.

8. alau0115 macrumors regular

Me, too, every other time I click the "Reserve" button.

9. bdzer macrumors member

There are never any black 16gb att ones... :(

Just got the message site down for maint.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The online reservation webpage isn't working for me either; same exact issues you have described.

:confused:

11. bdzer macrumors member

Session keeps timing out.

Now if I get to the login part of my reservation and click sign in, it goes to a blank white page.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It started working. I think all the Apple Stores in the US are sold out of iPhones! :eek:
    *edit* nvm, a few stores in California have them

13. alau0115 macrumors regular

I have been trying to reserve the iPhone 4S on the Apple Canada web site, i.e..

http://www.apple.ca/retail/iphone

for the past week, every single evening.. This is the most poorly implemented system that I've ever experienced.. This is just a hit and miss approach.

I get closer and closer to the final stage of the process every day and I literally saw the stock level. However, even after entering the stage where it asks for your Apple ID, the reservation cannot be secured. What is worst lies in the final page where it still asks for the time for pickup , then when you click the button, system gets busy again and you have to get back to previous pages and your "reservation" was lost.

I think asking for the pickup time during the reservation is dumb.. it wastes the server time and hence it makes unnecessary traffic --- I wish the pickup time can be asked after the reservation is secure by a simple piece of email...

Besides, if the system can at least hold your session once you are in the page where you can pick up the item, then the experience won't be that bad...

This is purely a waste of time...just venting with some feedback to Apple....

14. jsh macrumors regular

yes, stock showed up correctly. Didn't reserve in GTA.

15. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I've been using the apple store app and it's much more accessible and reliable. My issue is that my local store doesn't have enough AT&T phones.

16. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

That is the problem we're having as well. Plenty of Sprint and Verizon phones, just no AT&T.

I guess they have some sort of carrier lock applied at the factory? Since all the phones are exactly the same I don't understand why they don't ship them to the store and have them set to the appropriate carrier at time of purchase.

Sure would make stocking them easier...

17. jcb19 macrumors member

Try using the Apple Store App; I got that tip from another board member on another thread, after trying unsuccessfully on laptop Monday night. So last night I used Apple Store App on iTouch and iPad, two different locations; I got in at about 9:08PM last night--my store only had 32G Black and 64 White, but I was able to reserve and picked it up today at the store.

18. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I've been trying to reserve online for over a week

I too have been unsuccessful in my attempts each evening to reserve an ATT white iPhone 4s 32 GB at the two stores in my area (Raleigh-Durham, NC). I get online each night at 8:50 and begin trying to reserve a phone. I've used Chrome and Firefox browsers as well as Safari hoping for success with one of the three. When I finally get through to the actual inventory page (after numerous failed attempts), there is nothing left but 64GB models, if that. I've been trying since last Monday every night and I'm about to just give up! Even the old system by which you put your name on a waiting list and waited to be notified was better. This is taking up a lot of time and energy and is frustrating!:confused: I guess I will download the Apple Store app on my phone and iPad and try that approach tonight!

Has anyone had any luck walking in and getting a phone without reservation in the past week? I've thought about just calling the store but hate to pester overworked Apple employees!

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

for me also not working for three days ... and even if it is working no stock in Oregon.

not sure if apple can meet the demand by thanksgiving ... iPhone 4S for thanksgiving :D

20. alau0115 macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips! I will try tomorrow night. :)

21. alau0115 macrumors regular

Just found out the Apple Store Apps is not available in the Canadian Store (iTune). Now I remember I tried looking for it quite a long time ago and the situation doesn't change at all. :rolleyes:

22. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

It's not broken, just slammed with people trying to get on. I tried all week, getting to the point on a few occasions where all I needed to do was click confirm. That's just the way it is - lots of people want one.

I managed to reserve my 64GB White at Square One last night. I've tried every day since it came out.

Either stick to trying each evening for a little bit, or wait until there is less demand.

23. mntentman macrumors regular

I could not even get the list of states/stores to come up on the website, but had no problem with the Apple Store app on my phone... used that to reserve a 32 GB black AT&T.

24. alau0115 macrumors regular

I also had the similar situations where I was getting close to finish the process. Definitely it is not broken but if Apple can improve so that when you are at the last mile, at least the server allows you to keep the session till the end for a limited time. The most time-consuming part of the experience is even when you are on the very last stage of the order process, the server busy message can blow you off and waste all the efforts.

25. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Finally snagged a white ATT 4S 32GB tonight at 9:00 on the dot using Apple Store App on iPhone. MUCH faster than trying to do it on browser. Only took 10 days of futile attempts for me to figure this out.:rolleyes:

Hope I get a good one! So excited:)